IP2M-858W Issue

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
mkg526

IP2M-858W Issue

Post by mkg526 »

I purchased and installed a IP2M-858W PTZ camera about 3 years ago. The camera is 1 of 4 other cameras on a NAS and all the cameras are hard-wired.

Up until a few days ago, the camera worked fine. One day, it started to lag really badly and then it just froze up. After several camera reboots (which did not fix the problem), I rebooted both my router and the NAS. That seemed to fix the lagging for a few hours, but ultimately, the problem started happening again. By the end of the day, the camera disconnected. The other 3 cameras haven't had so much as a hiccup in performance.

My camera tech came out yesterday, took the camera down; inspected all the cables and hardware. He did a reset and the camera booted right back up. He made sure everything was working and mounted the camera back up outside. When he left, the camera was working flawlessly. There was absolutely no lagging.

Fast forward to 4am ... while I was sleeping, the camera disconnected once again. I reviewed the footage leading up to 4 am and noticed no degradation or lagging whatsoever. The camera simply went offline and will not restart.

Has anyone encountered similar issues with the IP2M-858W or other similar PTZ models? I would hate to think this is a defect as this $400 camera is only 3 years old. I have $50 bullet cameras that have lasted a lot longer. Before I spend more money to replace it, I just want to see if there are any other settings or hardware pieces we need to check.

Thanks!
mkg526

Re: IP2M-858W Issue

Post by mkg526 »

Update: I forgot to mention, the weather here has been mild so the problem does not coincide with any sort of weather event.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I would have your tech revisit the wiring and powering, specifically the cable and connectors in actual use for the camera's location and perform his testing in actual operating conditions, not taking the camera down for analysis in a more convenient environment.

Then there's the Wi-Fi aspect...

But I'd sure like to have one!
Seadog9

Post by Seadog9 »

Greetings. I just joined the group out of frustration. I have one of these also about 3 years old. It worked flawlessly then suddenly one day stopped. I took it down to try to determine what’s wrong. It was up using Wi-Fi. Basically once powered on it cycles through its testing sequence (not sure if all of it) then doesn’t do anything. During this my router will show it connected to LAN but no tx/rd activity afterwards. Little leds blinking internally but isn’t communicating. Reset button does nothing. Support was worthless. Didn’t even suggest a reset, only said replace it. At $400 I’m going to try whatever I can to revive this first. I have old cameras back to Foscams older than 15 years old that still work. This had to be the one to go. Not sure if the behavior is the same as yours. Thx
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Any possibility of moisture migration creating issues? How about the power supply?

The reset button doing nothing isn't a very good sign -- providing you're referring to the one inside the camera and not just a soft reset.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry to hear about the issues. When you are saying that you were working with it Wireless before this happen have you happen to try to access the camera over the Wired option? The camera has wifi and wired. If you using your Power Supply and connect to cameras ethernet port does the camera get a new IP from your Router? *Meaning in your Router pool do you see new connection*? If you don't the camera is dead and needs to be Repaired. I have in the last year repaired 8 of these now with 2 of the cameras belonging to a Forum Member.

Just so I am clear, The Power up that the camera is doing is different then the camera it self. The camera can power the base and still not have any action from the camera module that is inside. When it comes to these cameras, 853, 858, 1053 and so on the power up is part of the base programming. Think of it like a Micro Computer working and the Module is a Web Camera. If the Web Camera is damaged the Micro Computer part still working just the main Camera part isn't. When the system does it's start up can you see the Lens zoom in and out as well? I know it is hard when the camera is spinning but trust me you will know if the lens has moved in and out...

So then it comes down to this in practice. If you had a second working camera you could take the Module from the non working one and install into the working one. *Keep in mind doing so it can wipe Stats* if you are on the older FW where it still shows that info. So best to use on one that you don't care if it takes away how many this and that it has done. It don't take them all away only the ones related to the Module like Zoom in and out data... If the camera module works in second machine then you know it is communication issue in the base of the first one.. If it don't work then the Camera module will need to be taken apart. There is 5 cage screws and 2 lens screws that need to be removed before the cage can come apart. It isn't easy because there is CPU Cooler pad and the PCB is layered into the cage..

For the hardest part, Powering the Module for Repairs. It is best to take the sides off the base, then 4 screws that hold the head on, and remove the Motor wires from the base PCB. This will keep the head and body from doing the Startup.. Also best to remove the head part from main base to have better access to the wiring to plug in Module without cage for testing.. Even with all the Test points having power the system can fail. However if doing the test points you find one that isn't as marked That is area of interest to start. However I have had 2 that all voltages were in spec and still had a dead circuit on the Module PCB..
Be Safe.