IP2M-841B won't work on local ONLY network.

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
csrcsr

IP2M-841B won't work on local ONLY network.

Post by csrcsr »

I have a few Amcrest IP2M-841B cameras inside my home to watch the dogs. I don't like the idea of them having internet access and want to use them only on the local network. I am using a Firewalla router to block their in/out internet traffic.

For years, I was able to connect and see the cameras whenever I was at home on my own network, or away from home with a VPN connection to my network. The cameras would not have internet access. I accessed them using IP Cam Viewer Pro on android, as I noticed that the P2P connection in the Amcrest app would not work as they probably use a server.

Recently, a few days ago, all 8 amcrest cameras refused to be able to be connected to locally. They will only work when given internet access. Even if I when trying to connect to them using their direct local IP address. However, onvif works. The webpage config page works on some PCs on the network, but not others.

I can't figure out was is going on. It's as if there is a only a partial connection. Weirdly, If I plug in an ethernet cable, the wifi connection at the wifi IP address works again. It breaks as soon as the ethernet cable is removed.

Anyone have any idea why this is, or know a work around?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: IP2M-841B won't work on local ONLY network.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum..

Hate to say it but the issue is with your Firewall settings and here is why I say this. One if the cameras are setup with 2019 or newer FW it is said they need Internet access to function as they are IP Cameras.. Now that is what I was told when I had the same type issue where I couldn't see the footage from one of my camera that had lost Internet. Called Support and I was told with that FW and above the camera needed Internet access..

So then it comes down to I am not sure how your Firewalla is removing access to the cameras. The reason that your cameras work when you connect to a Ethernet port is because the camera gets a new connection path to the camera and even if you put in the wifi IP it is still traveling the data over the Ethernet path.
Be Safe.
csrcsr

Re: IP2M-841B won't work on local ONLY network.

Post by csrcsr »

I was afraid of that. Thanks for verifying. Maybe I can try downgrading FW.