IP2M-841B Wireless performance is well... less than desired.

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jmartinamcrest

IP2M-841B Wireless performance is well... less than desired.

Post by jmartinamcrest »

I have two of these cameras, and am using Blue Iris Software. I am constantly getting dropped with "No Signal" from both of these wireless cameras. I have a decent Router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000) with both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz bands (and I understand that the cameras only use the lower freq), and I live in a large home with the Router upstairs in an open attic crawl-space roughly in the center of the house.

I have no problem with my Laptop connecting anywhere in the house (usually on 5Ghz of course), and I have two Amcrest IP2M-842's with their external antenna's, clear across the driveway that connect flawlessly. But these two PTZ cameras, with no visible antenna, just... well... suck.

Running Cat5 to these cameras would not be easy, due to their placement in the center of the home.
So I'm wondering if any of these "WiFi booster, Signal repeating, PowerLine" options that I hear about might improve things to a point where I don't have to figure out how to run Cat5 to them. The camera that gives me the most trouble is positioned so that the router has to broadcast through a brick facade on the front of the house, and I'm sure that is part of the issue. Both cameras are close to power (wall sockets), so I'm wondering if there is anything I can plug in, right next to the camera transformer, that might improve my Wi-Fidelity. (I just made that word up).

Thoughts?

Thanx in advance for any guidance/experience you can share.
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: IP2M-841B Wireless performance is well... less than desi

Post by Melvin »

Hello jmartinamcrest
It appears that the wifi signals the cameras are getting is not sufficient. You can try setting up a wireless repeater and have them placed closer to the cameras. They will just have to be plugged in to a power outlet once set up.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

jmartinamcrest

Re: IP2M-841B Wireless performance is well... less than desi

Post by jmartinamcrest »

Actually I have experimented with some Powerline Adapters from Netgear (same Mfg as my Router), and so far I am having great results.
I was actually surprised at the speed I could obtain through them.

Working now on setting up Fixed IP addresses and experimenting with frame rates.

Thanx again for the input.