IP2M-841B-V3 IR Motion Detection Problems

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
dahai8

IP2M-841B-V3 IR Motion Detection Problems

Post by dahai8 »

Having problems getting motion detection working at night under the camera's IR lighting.
I have the following set up in the video detection screen:
A1.PNG
A1.PNG (244.5 KiB) Viewed 346 times
A2.PNG
A2.PNG (245.33 KiB) Viewed 346 times
A3.PNG
A3.PNG (244.41 KiB) Viewed 346 times
I don't see anywhere for IR settings. Yet when the room is completely dark and the IR light from the camera is ON, I can see the person walking around in the dark (like a ghost) but the movement detection never triggers. They can walk right in from of the camera only 5 feet away across the entire field of view and nothing triggers. There are no Red spikes on the above screen showing movement detected either.

Turning the lights on during the test and detection triggers right away from any movement in the room.

Version: V2.800.00000000.15.R, Build Date 2021-07-16
(Cannot downgrade as discussed in a previous thread)

Any ideas?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: IP2M-841B-V3 IR Motion Detection Problems

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I can't say why the issue. I am not sure why you are playing with 3 boxes as I can't see what the normal Region is setup as. What I do know is that I have mine setup as standard with the 60 and 5 as it was from setup and I get alerts day or night without fail. now in my v3 only have 1 Grid setup and for testing you will want to work in IE mode as Chrome has never shown any data that I can remember. I could be wrong about that seeing I don't use Chrome often I still use IE until I no longer can... Then the ones that need IE I will use E tab in Edge as it seems to work better then it does in Chrome..

Personally I would test again. This time remove all extra Grids only leaving a Main, Setup for 60 and 5 as they came stock and test from there..

I stand corrected.. I was wrong about the Lines of Red or Green. I just looked in Chrome and it does show what didn't show in Chrome is the Grid changes showing where the motions were detected.. What I mean there is if you use Edge or even Chrome with IE tab, and access your camera, when you look at your grid and something enters it you will see that translate on the Grid not just the red and green bars..

So I would as I was saying leave 1 grid, change to 60 for the top and 5 for the bottom, Change into the Edge and IE tab, Do some testing from there to tweak it however personally it works well and at times at night I think little to tell with the normal factory settings...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
dahai8

Post by dahai8 »

The first image in my post you can see the Orange block is selected and set to 62 &2

The second image has the Yellow block selected and set to 100 & 1 - this is the farthest away and was not trigging with the defaults even when fully lit. I set it to these values so it would trigger when that are was fully lit.

The third image has the Blue block selected and set to 82 & 2 and is a mid-range area that didn't always trigger with the defaults when fully lit.

When movement is detected, you will see red spikes in the gray grid. If those spikes rise above the black trigger line, then motion is detected and a recording will be made. The red spikes never appeared on any of the colored detection areas at night with the built-in IR lights on.

I will test again with just the original Orange grid with 60 and 5.

Another question: When setting up multiple color detection zones (Orange, Yellow, Blue, etc). Can you overlap them ?

Thanks. I'll post an update.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So there is some things you may or may not know about Cameras in General. While looking at the data for 841v3 I don't see anything posted right away. However there is something called DORI, That is like the 4 areas of ability. I can't seem to find that data for the V3 however here is some data about the camera..

It has a 4mm none adjustable lens, (Mean it has no Optic Zoom) and it has a 32f IR. So I am sure it can see beyond that distance however with it's own IR as installed that is how far it can see, and has a 90 degree Feild of View.

So with that I am going to guess that it will have a limited DORI and while it might be able to Detect something in your Area Of Interest, it might not be able to detect that it is something that should be detected as motion.

So for some Context. my 1046EW-AI camera has a 2.8mm fixed lens. It has a I of the DORI of 20feet. That means it can with all perfect fact of life and scene ID someone at 20feet. Now it can see past that however for Perfect ID has to be within 20 feet.. The D for DORI on my camera is 190 feet and to be honest my camera has a special feature that makes them numbers not 100% perfect because of the cameras ability to change and zoom (Digitally or Enhanced) so it can see in Sub2 a distance that appears closer..

Anyway DORI is Detect, Observe, Recognize and Identify

About over lapping the grids I personally don't know. I know that the testing I did it looks like they over lap and my guess is if you have different settings in an area that is more sensitive to a lower grid however in an area where you don't want it to be that sensitive then it will result in bad detections..

When it comes to IR at night so many things can trigger these cameras..

Also when you say you can't find any info about IR do you mean to turn off or do you mean in relation to the Motion?

If your looking for IR to make a change to the settings or to turn off, you would find then in the Setup, Camera, Config, Ir light. In there you will be able to change to Manual and will have 0-100 in value however I just keep that camera in Auto..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
dahai8

Post by dahai8 »

Ok. It appears to be working good now. Here are the things that I found:
1) Don't overlap the Regions. This seems to negate all detection
2) The smaller the Region, the better the sensitivity. A small region at 100 Sensitivity will trigger whereas a region of the entire area at 100 Sensitivity will not trigger for the same motion.
This seems to work in daylight and nighttime IR.
I'll let this run for a day and report any updates.
Thanks!
dahai8

Post by dahai8 »

Here's a grab of my setup. All the regions have similar settings: 100 & 2.
But the larger the region, as in blue, the less overall sensitive it is to movement. That is why the Orange are is very small. It is far away and so any movement is small. The smaller region triggers whereas if the entire area was Orange at 100/2, it would never trigger for small (or far away movement). This is the same for the Yellow area. But because it is closer, it can be larger and still trigger. Then the blue area is both closer to the camera and less important for detection.
Hope this makes sense.
a4.PNG
a4.PNG (191.62 KiB) Viewed 330 times
braniak

Post by braniak »

dahai8 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:10 pm Ok. It appears to be working good now. Here are the things that I found:
1) Don't overlap the Regions. This seems to negate all detection
2) The smaller the Region, the better the sensitivity. A small region at 100 Sensitivity will trigger whereas a region of the entire area at 100 Sensitivity will not trigger for the same motion.
This seems to work in daylight and nighttime IR.
I'll let this run for a day and report any updates.
Thanks!
Man, I created an account here only to thank you for this tip: "The smaller the Region, the better the sensitivity". It works.
dahai8

Post by dahai8 »

Days later, this is still working great.

braniak: Awesome to know this insight has already helped someone!