IP2M-841 - FTP server test failure, list right loss

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
drephuz

IP2M-841 - FTP server test failure, list right loss

Post by drephuz »

Alrighty, so here's the skinny.

I already know of a few posts about this issue, but I'm starting a new one because upgrading/rolling back firmware has not resolved the issue.

This specific camera, IP2M-841, is showing the above error "FTP server test failure, list right loss" when I attempt to test the connection. Before, this would create a test directory, and then delete itself and confirm that the test was successful. Now it just leaves a new test folder entry under "FTP_TEST" on the FTP server.

It seems to be recording fine, but I will only be able to tell if it is going to be doing its own self maintenance (deleting old files) tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have a link to firmware that would actually work? I see everyone saying to download older firmware, but the only two firmware options I see are from 5/21/2017 and 6/29/2017, both of which have the same issue.

I love the quality of the camera, and I was planning on buying a few more and running actual ethernet for them, but not if I'm having bugs with very basic setup. Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance
drephuz

Re: IP2M-841 - FTP server test failure, list right loss

Post by drephuz »

Test failed, It does not appear to delete the recordings automatically. Still wondering if any official support exists or if I am going to resort to a new brand...

There are quite a few different full camera systems for the price of 2 of these cameras that include a 1TB DVR on Amazon.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Is this FTP to a remote server or within your own LAN? I tried FTP to my NAS but every recording was incomplete, as if the system wasn't 'waking up' quickly enough. I got recording via NFS working perfectly except that there was no way to limit the amount of space being used that I could find.

I went back to recording to the SD card in the end.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
drephuz

Post by drephuz »

longedge wrote:Is this FTP to a remote server or within your own LAN? I tried FTP to my NAS but every recording was incomplete, as if the system wasn't 'waking up' quickly enough. I got recording via NFS working perfectly except that there was no way to limit the amount of space being used that I could find.

I went back to recording to the SD card in the end.

Correct, FTP is within my own LAN. It seems like it's missing some recording as well, as I had a moment where there were tons of kids in front of my house yesterday and it didn't even pick them up, and also every recording seems to be limited to 22 seconds max.

I would go with an SD card if it weren't for the fact that I like having the recordings saved on a different hard drive, and the limit is 32GB which would be eaten up in a matter of 3 days on default settings. I would like a 7day retention, minimum. I think I might have to go with a different surveillance system.
bob7123

Post by bob7123 »

Hey I got it to work!

So I thought I'd share my experience here, as I too was very frustrated for a long time with this.

First, download and install Wireshark to see packets on your network.

Once it is running, select your computer’s Ethernet card, and in the “Capture filter for selected Ethernet cards” type “port 21” [no quotes] and click start.

Then follow this video posted earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf3spBtTImA

When you get to the part which tells you to test, and on your camera says failure, keep going; it is a SPURIOUS error.

You will know this because Wireshark will capture the test, which you can examine by right clicking on any packet in the top window, and on the menu that pops up choose “Follow” and then TCP Stream.

You should get a window with something like what I am including at the bottom of this message. If you don’t for some reason, e.g. bad password, the captured conversation will tell you.

I got snagged by a few other things myself, like being sure to click “Enable” on the same page as the test button, making sure FTP was selected on the path and clicking save on that page.

Then go stick your finger in front of the camera!

Once you get it going on your computer, you can switch to another host. If you leave everything else alone, you should be fine.

And if you can't get it to work on another host, get a cheap managed switch on Amazon, plug in the camera, your PC and a link to your router, and mirror the camera port to the PC, and rerun Wireshark. Easy! ;)

Captured TCP Conversation
====================================
220 Microsoft FTP Service
USER anonymous
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
PASS anonymous.so.it.doesn't.matter
230 User logged in.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
CWD FTP_TEST/1707478550_43215660910
550 The system cannot find the file specified.
CWD FTP_TEST
250 CWD command successful.
MKD 1707478550_43215660910
257 "1707478550_43215660910" directory created.
CWD /
CWD //FTP_TEST/1707478550_43215660910
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,14,122,215,58).
stor ftp_test.txt
125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
226 Transfer complete.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,14,122,215,59).
list //FTP_TEST/
125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
226 Transfer complete.
QUIT
221 Goodbye.