IP Camera Poor Bitrate

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Gikrik

IP Camera Poor Bitrate

Post by Gikrik »

Hi,

I have an IP camera set up via wifi, The camera is 20 feet from the antenna. I am barely able to get 10kb/s feed from the camera, locally and remotely and the feed keeps dropping out and goes days without being able to connect.
Z-Man

Re: IP Camera Poor Bitrate

Post by Z-Man »

Remember in your environment there are countless things that can interfere with wireless signals. We've all heard them: microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, walls, other WiFis, motors, etc...
It won't be an easy thing to pinpoint. That's for sure.
Gikrik

Post by Gikrik »

I just don't get it. I get virtually full wi-fi signal on my phone where the wi-fi camera is and at double the distance of the wifi camera I still get 50% wi-fi signal. I can still pick up outdoor antenna sitting the same distance as the wifi camera, but in the house. That is through 3 solid stone walls at least 2 feet thick, each.

You are suggesting that this camera cannot work through one wood wall at 20 feet. It's empty cavity, so maybe 4-6 inches of wood, total. Makes for a pretty junk product if that is the case, unless something else is going on with the P2P setup...

To date I have not been happy with my purchase, and won't be buying more cameras again from AMCREST... :evil:
Gikrik

Post by Gikrik »

Update

The camera shows up on my device list in my router. It's connected to the router, yet the IP config tool cannot find the camera, nor can the Surveillance Pro.

As for the wifi signal... I live on a farm, it's open air and no interference with the wifi signal. There isn't even another house within 1/4 mile.... It's a straight shot to the camera, 20 feet away....
Gikrik

Post by Gikrik »

Update

The camera shows up on my device list in my router. It's connected to the router, yet the IP config tool cannot find the camera, nor can the Surveillance Pro.

As for the wifi signal... I live on a farm, it's open air and no interference with the wifi signal. There isn't even another house within 1/4 mile.... It's a straight shot to the camera, 20 feet away....

I do agree that it could be a wifi connection issue Z-man..... that's what makes this so frustrating.... thought for sure the distance to the camera and decent LoS would work... going to have to add an extra antenna to the camera to increase the gain...

Are there any known issues with the P2P setup feature?
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

I never had any issue with P2P.
Maybe someone from Amcrest can chime in.
By the way, which camera model are you working with?
Gikrik

Post by Gikrik »

IP4M-1026B.
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

I have an older camera (IP2M-851B). I have it across a field hooked up to a barn. My router is in the main house near a window. The connection is rock solid--never drops. My highest resolution is 1080P. The other thing too is: if your WiFi signal is weak, and you're at a high resolution and high frame rate, the connection might drop if the data throughput is too high for the connection it's getting to the WiFi access point. I'm talking in general from experience with networking.