How to get stable bit rate

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Geko

How to get stable bit rate

Post by Geko »

One of my cameras are pulling a reallly high bitrate compared to my other camera. I already set it to cbr and at the lowest bit stream available. Is there anyway to stabilize it? Doesn't seem to be following the bit rate I already set and saved
Geko

Re: How to get stable bit rate

Post by Geko »

Still need help on this
duke69111

Post by duke69111 »

I'm having the same problem. I installed two of the exact same systems at two seperate houses next door to each other. There were both purchased at the same time and installed about 4 months apart. The cameras in both systems are (IP8M-2496EB) and are connected through the amcrest 8 port poe switch.

One system runs fine based on my cbr settings for QFHD at 15 FPS at 4096 Kbps. Those cameras pull about 4000 to 4500 kbps when streaming and the stream looks fine. The stream is smooth.

My second system is setup the same way I think, however all of my cameras pull in from 20,000 to 70,000+ Kbps and stutter / are very choppy with the feed. They are set at the exact same settings as the other system that works fine from what I can tell. All eight of my cameras have this problem. I'm sure I'm missing something, but its ruining my experience.

Normal Functioning Camera:
Normal Camera.jpg
Normal Camera.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
High Bit Rate Camera:
High Bit Rate Camera.jpg
High Bit Rate Camera.jpg (81.64 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Enode Settings on High Bit Rate Camera:
High Bit Rate Camera
High Bit Rate Camera
Encode Settings.JPG (68.14 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Encode Settings on Normal Camera:
Encode Settings Normal Camera.JPG
Encode Settings Normal Camera.JPG (71.55 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

@duke69111 the only difference I can see is in the bit rate setting for the extra stream but that apart, would it be possible to exchange the two camera positions to see if the higher bandwidth useage follows the camera. Are they on separate LANs ? If so then an exchange would also be a good pointer as to whether it's the camera or the network conditions.

p.s. @geko, sorry nothing useful comes to mind. How many cameras do you have though, are they connected directly to an NVR and if so might it's bandwidth be 'flooded' by having settings too high? That's something I've done myself in the past :) .
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
duke69111

Post by duke69111 »

longedge wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:58 pm @duke69111 the only difference I can see is in the bit rate setting for the extra stream but that apart, would it be possible to exchange the two camera positions to see if the higher bandwidth useage follows the camera. Are they on separate LANs ? If so then an exchange would also be a good pointer as to whether it's the camera or the network conditions.

p.s. @geko, sorry nothing useful comes to mind. How many cameras do you have though, are they connected directly to an NVR and if so might it's bandwidth be 'flooded' by having settings too high? That's something I've done myself in the past :) .

Thanks for the reply @longedge.

- Are they on separate LANs ?
Yeah, they are on separate lans and separate internet providers (though both are Cox Communications service) and the two systems are completely independent of each other. The only thing common between the two systems is that all of the cameras from both systems can be viewed and managed from my phone and computer.

The system that is having the problem is my house and I installed it first. I had no prior experience installing a surveillance system other than a little knowledge about cat5e cables. The other system is on my neighbors house one lot away and it was installed about 3-4 weeks ago.

If I'm understanding you correctly by "exchanging", your saying take one camera from my system and connect it to his switch and then see if the same high bit rate issue happens on that camera when streaming. Also take one camera from his system that has the normal bit rate and connect it to my switch and see if the normal bit rate occurs.

If so, that's a good idea and I can do that fairly easily. I have a camera in my garage that is just setting on a shelf plugged in that gets 57,400 kbps consistently. That would be a good one to start with.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Yes that's what I meant. Swap the two cameras around (don't introduce an unknown into the process by using another camera). That way you'll know straightaway what you next need to look at (camera or LAN infrastructure) if you feel it's necessary to pursue it.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03