How do you shut down an NV4108-HS?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
plusfour

How do you shut down an NV4108-HS?

Post by plusfour »

I need to shut it down to move it and the manual warns against just pulling the plug, but there's no apparent way to do so. The manual describes firmware that's different from what the NV4108 comes with, which has no obvious shutdown option, and the alternative, pressing the power button for 3 seconds, doesn't work either because there isn't one. How are you supposed to shut this thing down in order to perform maintenance work?
Z-Man

Re: How do you shut down an NV4108-HS?

Post by Z-Man »

The only way I've found is to hook up a monitor, login to the GUI, and go to the power menu. There is a shutdown option there. I always wondered why not have the same option in the web interface?
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

Ugh, thanks. I'm running mine headless, there's no easy way to get a monitor to it without a lot of hassle. I've also submitted a support ticket to Amcrest, I'll see what they say.

A backup option, which is pretty flaky, is to initiate a manual reboot and pull the power when/if the power LED blinks to indicate it's rebooting. I'm not sure if I want to try that just yet, that sounds like a way to brick the device...
rayleaf

Post by rayleaf »

Plusfour/Z-man since you own the NV4108-HS can you confirm if your nvr has audio on liveview and playback after you log in into the NVR Web Access using IE browser.

I have a NV4108E and audio works on my TV monitor and Surveillance Pro(Windows 10 PC) but no audio using the IE browser( or Firefox either).

Would like to know if the NV4108-HS works (before I consider purchase).

Thanks
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

We have the same model (NV4108E-HS).
I can hear audio when using IE.
I have an indoor camera (IP2M-841B). It records audio fine. I can hear audio during Playback in IE.
chrisj

Post by chrisj »

plusfour wrote:I'm running mine headless, there's no easy way to get a monitor to it without a lot of hassle. I've also submitted a support ticket to Amcrest, I'll see what they say.

A backup option, which is pretty flaky, is to initiate a manual reboot and pull the power when/if the power LED blinks to indicate it's rebooting. I'm not sure if I want to try that just yet, that sounds like a way to brick the device...
I have the same model and it's very annoying that it's impossible to do a proper shutdown from the web interface. I've used the reboot-and-pull-the-plug option a couple of times without any failures, but it's sketchy at best.
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

Login to NVR via web GUI > System > AUTO MAINTAIN > "Manual Reboot"

It should be there, I have an NV4108-HS (unsure what the difference is, however). HTHs!
rayleaf

Post by rayleaf »

Thank you Z-Man.

More testing found that to get audio on IE browser after NVR Web Access login the IP2M-841 audio encode option must be set at G.711A or G.711Mu but with this setting you get audio and solve the IE browser issue but on the SD card Playback from the IP2M-841 do not get audio now on the SD card of the camera.

I assume you have your IP2M-841 camera set at G.711A or G.711Mu to get audio on the IE browser.

Since I still want audio recorded on my SD card as well as audio recorded on the NV4108E(dual backup) I have to keep audio setting at the ACC audio encode mode on the camera. Both nvr and camera have the latest firmware.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

rayleaf wrote:Plusfour/Z-man since you own the NV4108-HS can you confirm if your nvr has audio on liveview and playback after you log in into the NVR Web Access using IE browser.
I don't have a camera with audio, sorry.

For the shutdown-via-reboot, I'm assuming that pulling the plug during the boot process will be safer than the shutdown process, in that the system will be flushing buffers and writing to SSD during shutdown, but will mostly be loading and decompressing the kernel and initialising drivers during boot, so less disk write activity.

To Amcrest: You guys really need to fix this in the UI, the Amcrest support person I talked to said that if you bricked your NVR when you pulled the plug you could just RMA it, but that's not really a substitute for actually being able to shut it down properly.
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

Which version firmware do you have loaded?