How do you shut down an NV4108-HS?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
plusfour

Re: How do you shut down an NV4108-HS?

Post by plusfour »

Ordered in February 2018, it came with 3.210.AC02.0 from June 2017, I updated it to 3.215.00AC000.0 from January 2018 when I got it. That's also the one currently on the firmware update page, listed as "10002 - 01/05/2018".
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

shaunmurray wrote:Login to NVR via web GUI > System > AUTO MAINTAIN > "Manual Reboot"

It should be there, I have an NV4108-HS (unsure what the difference is, however). HTHs!
Unfortunately even that doesn't work. It does some sort of soft-reset, not an actual restart + reboot, so there's no indication from the NVR that it's rebooted, the lights stay on and the fan keeps running. Since you can't tell whether it's shutting down, booting, or running normally, it's probably more dangerous to use this than just pulling the plug because you don't know if it's writing log files or flushing buffers when you pull the plug.

Argh! I can't believe a company can make a device that can't be shut down, no power switch, no UI item to shut it down, and no way to tell whether it's shutting down or booting so you can at least use that as a hack to pull the plug.
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

So, in my testing, it did indeed reboot my NVR. Network, fans, lights - all went dark.

However, in contemplation, what is going to happen when my HDD arrives and I want to install it? Or if I need to rearrange cables and need to shut it down, or to clean the fan!?!? How DO you shut it down and keep it down? What about a soft reboot? To clear RAM or IP table (if applicable...)? I'm finding this OS to be more and more...'issue-laden'.

Amcrest QA should be 'issue-released'.

EDIT: WRONG! I was wrong. Fail... lol Seriously, this doesn't reboot? <facepalm>
Last edited by shaunmurray on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

shaunmurray wrote:So, in my testing, it did indeed reboot my NVR. Network, fans, lights - all went dark.
Which model is it? There's a lot of variation among models, the 4108E-HS definitely doesn't give any indication that it's rebooted, everything keeps running throughout.

It's possible that this is done because it's a PoE version, so it doesn't pull the power to the cameras while the NVR is rebooting. This would mean the NVR could restart before the cameras do, causing problems in recognising the cameras after the reboot. In other words the NVR comes back but the cameras haven't restarted yet so appear to be offline after a reboot.
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

Type: NV4108-HS
Web: 3.2.3.91597
Onvif Client Version: 2.4.1
System Version: 3.215.00AC000.0, Build Date: 2018-01-05

I'm spinning up a SNMP server today to help troubleshoot this. Im afraid however, of Amcraps lack of reporting is going to make troubleshooting their OS/hardware impossible. Has ANYONE gotten descent logging enabled?
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

So, instead of remotely rebooting it and not paying 'that' close attention to the NVR (it's across the room, and I just listened for the beeps) - it turns out, the power LED and fan indeed, never shut off. (Coincidentally I have to reboot my monitor that is pluged into it each reboot, cuzzzzzzz that isn't annoying.)

If you use the NVR/local console, there IS a shutdown button with the following options:

1. Shut Down
2. Logout
3. Restart

Again, from the console you apparently can do what we want, just not from the web GUI? Come on!
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

shaunmurray wrote:Again, from the console you apparently can do what we want, just not from the web GUI? Come on!
In my case I can't do it because I don't have console access, I'm running it purely over the network since it's in another location. It's kinda poor QC if their UI allows shutdown if you plug in a monitor and whatnot but it's missing from the same UI if you're running it over a network.
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

Wish I could give you the thumb up, or agree button. But yea, sory lacking in the "thinking" dept. lol
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

I keep a monitor in a nearby closet to connect when I need it.
I notice setting up motion detection areas is easier in the GUI than on the web interface. When I access the POE cameras web interface, they all show the image of the 1st camera. So I'm not able to configure motion detection in the web interface. The colored boxes (red, yellow, green, etc...) show as dotted lines as opposed to red/yellow/green boxes.

I don't mind. I just know some things I can't do in the web interface.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

So I got round to hauling a monitor out to where the NVR is, plugged it in, and fired it up, and... you can probably see what's coming. No output, the version of Linux on the NVR doesn't have hotplug support enabled, so unless you have the monitor connected the first time you power it up, you won't get any video output later on.

Finally got it to work by VPN'ing in from a laptop to the web GUI and telling it to reboot, whereupon it enabled HDMI out on boot and I got an image on the monitor and could shut it down.

Even then, it's only the embedded Linux PC that's shut down (or possibly halted), the rest of the system including the PoE cameras is still fully powered. So you're not crowbarring the power to the NVR any more, but you're still doing it to the connected cameras.

This is a ridiculous amount of effort to have to go to to safely power down the NVR. Amcrest, you guys really need to get this fixed.