How do I connect speaker and mic to IP cam?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
isaac7

How do I connect speaker and mic to IP cam?

Post by isaac7 »

I need to set up a few PoE IP Cams in a pedestrian way around a building with 2-way audio. the Cams with the built-in speakers are not loud enough, so I need to attach external speakers to it. Can someone show me how this is done and what kind of speaker/mic should I buy to attach to it? do I need to add an amplifier for this? Is the PoE power from the IP cam itself enough to give power to the speaker? (it doesn't have to be very loud, but loud enough that people in a pedestrian way in a street can hear it)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: How do I connect speaker and mic to IP cam?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum..

You have a question that poses more questions then Anwers at this time..

What camera are you talking about using? I know you said POE IP camera that has Mic and Speaker however there are many cameras that have that option that don't offer a way to connect another mic or speaker.

Then there are cameras that might offer Mic with out a Speaker but has a Speaker out port on the cables. These might be RCA type cable or just plain 2 wires that you would need to connect to the Speaker..

Then there are some that offer Mic/Speaker with output cables either 3 wires 1 for ground and 2 for speaker/mic and again you would need to make connection. ANother type might have again the RCA and would depend on camera..

Last there are some cameras like my 1046EW-AI that has no mic or speaker on the camera however has 2 wires sets with RCA for speaker and mic connections.

Connecting these are most times going to be the same either way. Will need MIC that you connect to the Cameras Mic in, Then you will need to go to the Cameras WebUI, Setup, Camera, Audio Setup, and change in the drop down Mic to Input. That will change the cameras setup from on board mic to a Ext Mic.

Then connecting a Speaker is going to be up to the user how loud a person wants it. Normal power speaker can work ok most times however a PA would be better if remote power speaker isn't workable for your area.

So what type of Camera do you have, How are you looking to connect this? On NVR? Does your NVR have Audio Channels outside the normal 1 in and 1 out? Seeing most of the Audio would come from IP cameras with Built in Mic/Speaker. Only a couple of my DVR's from years past have multi camera Audio in on the Recorder...

Might be that you only need to connect up Audio Out setup as most Cameras have good enough built in mics that can pick up sounds a good distance away by turning off the Filter.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
isaac7

Post by isaac7 »

Thank you for your reply

I am looking at PoE IP Cams that have that wires for connecting Speaker and Mic like your 1046EW-AI

Basically here are my main questions:

1- What kind of audio products should I buy for this purpose?
2- Does Amcrest sells them?
3- Can you suggest a couple of products I can use? It would be great if both Mic and Speaker are in the same unit and have built-in amp.
4- Do I need to run AC power separately for the Speaker? dumb question, but I thought maybe I can ditch running additional cables for it!
5- How do I make sure that the speaker that I buy is compatible with the Camera?
isaac7

Post by isaac7 »

By the way, I am looking to speak from the speaker from anywhere on the internet using the mobile or PC app, not the NVR itself.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Without having the cameras already it sounds like you might want to see if the Amcrest Sales team either by calling them Monday-Friday could get you something together for your needs. Personally I don't know of any Speakers they offer, I also know only Mic they offer is the Hap201 they might have an older one but no longer on the Sales site..

Cameras offer the info about what is offered on the cameras. At times it might be that you can have an idea of what you want for your cameras. Then look for that stats and find ones with your needs already.. Meaning what MP camera, What FOV do you want or need, then finding the cameras with the output that fits your needs. As I said some of them have RCA jacks for connections and others only have the wires and would need to be soldered or connected well to keep from having issue in the long run.

What is important to remember is when your setting up your cameras on your phone you will want to setup using the P2P option so you can use the cameras while away from home. On a computer you will need to use Amcrest Surveillance Pro for Windows or Mac and again setup with P2P options..

However in Truth there is so much that would need to be done for a system to have Mic/Speaker and camera at each location. Almost sounds like something you might need to hire a CCTV installer to setup. I personally would use a PA system with selected outputs only problem is that will not work from App only from a Local Control Monitoring station.. Doing a speaker at each camera location will require wiring to power the speakers and the mic the cameras don't offer voltage outputs. If you have a good enough power supply for the camera location a splitter can be used to power mic and camera however still need power for speakers..

At a Min you will want to run 2 cat 5e cables to each location and depending on the resistance, voltage drop, and hardware used that can do all that you need. Again you would need to source LVD hardware for your install..
Be Safe
docdoc

Post by docdoc »

What speaker will work best with the External Audio Out dongle of the Amcrest Camera.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@docdoc to be honest there is no one better over another. It is going to come down to how much someone wants to pay and what type of Install someone wants to do.

Also keep in mind that you will want to check your Local area and find out if you can even have a Mic as a part of your CCTV setup. I say this because if your state is a 2 party consent state and you try to use footage that has Audio for a case it can be thrown out even if you post signs. I live in a 1 side area and I still post signs that I Audio and Video Record just to make sure I cover all bases.. Also note Even if you post a sign that says you do and by entering your property they agree to the terms this could be enough however you would want to make sure it is plastered everywhere so someone can't claim they never seen such a sign..
Be Safe
RayMerchant

Post by RayMerchant »

Which speaker works best with the home security camera's for external audio?