How connect IP5M-1190W directly to ethernet port , NO INTERNET

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
JimmyFal

How connect IP5M-1190W directly to ethernet port , NO INTERNET

Post by JimmyFal »

I would like to use this camera connected directly to my computer laptop, as a way to use it as an outdoor camera for my camper.

I just want to connect directly to ethernet port, not thru internet.

I know the cameras static IP is 192.168.0.205 and I can even ping it when I set my ethernet adapters address to the same IP.

However the web interface will now open to the camera when I type in the IP in address bar.

Anyone have an experience on this one? Or this scenario?

I saw a youtube where I guy did it exactly this way with another brand of ip camera.

I know this camera had to be setup using wifi because of something called "SoftAP", i'm not sure if this particlar camera is not capable of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks if you can

JF
My Cameras

IP8M-VB2696EW-AI
IP8M-2796EW-AI
IP8M-T2669EW-AI
IP5M-1190W
IPM4M-1041B
IP3M-941B
ASH22-W
Pogo

Re: How connect IP5M-1190W directly to ethernet port , NO INTERNET

Post by Pogo »

How do you know the camera's ip address if you can't access it?
JimmyFal

Post by JimmyFal »

I set a static ip address on it when I was using it on my network. I did finally get it to show up on the Amcrest IP tool, but still am unable to connect via the web browser. Will try again tommorrow. I'm just looking for anyway to use this cam as a night vision cam for my camper, it would be nice to be able to figure this out. I haven't even thought about connectin it to my phones hotspot, but I'll try whatever works.
My Cameras

IP8M-VB2696EW-AI
IP8M-2796EW-AI
IP8M-T2669EW-AI
IP5M-1190W
IPM4M-1041B
IP3M-941B
ASH22-W
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It has been a while since I have owned the 1190W, Personally didn't like the build of the camera. However I am not 100% sure that your camera was setup right. I mean I know that the Amcrest Website has this SoftAP thing and it might have been something to do with some other cameras in the Amcrest line up that you have to pick Wifi or Wired and can't use both. What I can tell you is that I didn't do anything of the sort when I setup the 1190 the first time. So to be honest if you are having an issue making a connection to your computer I would look into doing a Factory Reset of the camera and setup again this time not doing the SoftAP if you don't ever want to use it as a Wifi camera (At this time) again after setup if you wanted to use Wifeless do another Factory Reset and setup SoftAP. However for your needs now my guess is that the camera was setup and the IP it is getting is Wifi and not really a wired IP

2 things I would try. Factory Reset and don't setup or give it any idea that you want to use Wifi. Personally from a setup stand point it would be best done first time using a Hub or Switch that your computer and the camera are connected to. Setup with the POE camera option (Or Try to) I have some wireless cameras that I have setup wired and have used that option. However if it isn't able to setup in that method then setup using Wifi however use the second option of setting up the wifi camera that is connected to a Ethernet cable.

Yet while I am typing this there could be something that is being overlooked. First before you do anything I have typed above I would try this. Make your connection to your laptop with the cable to your camera. Once they are both online press the Windows button on the keyboard and R. In the box that comes up type cmd press enter. then in the dos window type arp -a This should list out your IP for your computer and the camera. I am also thinking that if your camera was setup with this SoftAP that the IP for the camera at might be a IP for Wireless and isn't the same ip that was setup for Wiredd. Now with that in mind if the camera was never setup with a Static IP for Wired connection then you might have to do the reset and or make the connection using the router you setup the camera with to start..

Either way 1 last step that should be done. If you were to do the arp -a and only thing comes up is the laptop and nothing for the camera you will want to make the connection you used to setup the camera to start with. Or Do a reset as outlined above. Next once you get into the system either over a Reset or using the router and the IP you know it is. then you will want to log in click on the setup click on network, then in the TCP/IP it will most likely show wifi as default and will need to setup a Static IP for Wired connection you can go between them by clicking the down arrow. Go to the setup for Wired and choose that as default, then setup the IP for your needs. If you don't already have something on 206 maybe make it that or what ever you like.

Please see pictures below. you will notice that the wifi is setup and is what the IP I am connecting with. When I click on the Wired it was not setup and because of this that is what the camera came programmed with as starting IP. I don't use a Ethernet cable for this camera one of only 4 in my fleet of cameras that uses Wifi the reset are Wired.

My guess is that your IP is going to reflect on the Wifi and not the wired. The camera might be even work at the static IP in my picture and then no configuration changes would need to be done to the camera just adding the IP range to your computer might get your connection you are looking for.

Ideas are hard to guess without knowing what is on your END. Hope something here helps you out..
Screenshot (816).png
Screenshot (816).png (127.08 KiB) Viewed 19853 times
Screenshot (817).png
Screenshot (817).png (127.07 KiB) Viewed 19853 times
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Assuming the address you assigned was for the ethernet port (and not the w-fi) and the http port is still port 80, (and ethernet is your preferred connection method), just set a static 192.168.0.200 IP address in the laptop and you should connect via the webUI. Use whatever mask and gateway was used for the camera if it puts up a fight and you should be good to go.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Or, (and more or less what Revo suggested), either try connecting to the camera via wi-fi on the same network used to originally set it up and modify the IP parameters for ethernet instead of wireless (if it is indeed set to wireless), or start from scratch with the reset and do a straight up static hardwired IP configuration as suggested.

The other obvious option is to just go wireless for the camper application, but that could be a whole other bag o' snakes from P/T response possibly sucking to the privacy and adjacent traffic issues if in an actual campground environment vs. a more isolated location.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.
JimmyFal

Post by JimmyFal »

My Solution....

Instead of trying to hook in direct from laptop to camera via ethernet, I tried something I never tried before which was to put my phone in Hotspot Mode, and then reset the camera and then use the "SoftAP" method outlined in the manual. I disconnected the phone from my home wifi as well and went thru setup on Amcrest View Pro APP on the Android Phone.

So now I have the camera setup to my Hotspot on the phone, which will work great for the camper (assuming I have good cell signal wherever I am), and I can use the camera to monitor what's going on outside the camper at night.

Only issue really will be how much Hotspot Data it uses on the phone, I have 100GB of hotspot data that I mostly need to work with on the computers while I travel, but I'll have to determine how much data I go thru per hour w/ the camera setup. I also need to calculate how much of my camper batteries get used with the Camera hooked into an Inverter, anyway should be a learning experience.

Revo, this camera is a strange bird, that is why I am taking this one with me when I travel. It was the only camera to stop working more than once last winter while I was away, so it was unreliable compared to the POE's that I never had a problem with. I like it for the PTZ features etc. but IVS and all Human detection stuff not nearly as good as the other cams like IP8M-T2669EW-AI; IP8M-2796EW-AI, or any of the AI cameras for that matter. I will only buy AI labeled cams from now on.
My Cameras

IP8M-VB2696EW-AI
IP8M-2796EW-AI
IP8M-T2669EW-AI
IP5M-1190W
IPM4M-1041B
IP3M-941B
ASH22-W
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Very good.

The other option would be to just use a little wi-fi router and set it up for the camper using your home SSID (assuming you use wi-fi at home). It would keep everything completely isolated from the outside world, be compatible with your home network, use zero data and consume very little power. It would provide access for both your phone(s) and your laptop and would be as secure as you make it. It would also conveniently allow the addition of extra wi-fi cameras if you wanted to buy a couple cheapies for the purpose. The TP-Link Tapo C110s come to mind for $20 a pop on Amazon. 3MP 20fps with decent (but limited) night vision out to 30 feet or so. ONVIF compliant and the TP-Link app is one of the better ones out there.

Another important consideration for such an approach is that your bandwidth would be completely local to the capacity of your router. No limitations otherwise.
JimmyFal

Post by JimmyFal »

Thanks for input, but this is for use when I travel which is for lengthy periods of time in camper. Camper is solar powered, and I only use the phone currently as a hotspot for all my internet and computer needs. I mostly want it to spot wildlife that may wander by during the night. This particular camera is only barely competent in the motion detect depart, and kind of useless on the Human Detection etc. I'm mostly just trying to make use of a camera that I had laying around and wasn't being used.

I think they Amcrest/Camera makers/resellers in general are missing the boat on a lot of this AI stuff, they really need to tailor a lot of this SMD stuff to wildlife as opposed to just humans and cars. That would be a real selling point, there are a lot of us doing this more for the wildlife shots than the security.

I'm also thinking I can plug this cam directly into 12 volt as opposed to using the inverter at all, I see the specs say: Power Supply DC12V/2.0A±10%

That would save even more energy on the batteries of the camper If I can go straight to power. Can't wait to measure the usage in comparison.
My Cameras

IP8M-VB2696EW-AI
IP8M-2796EW-AI
IP8M-T2669EW-AI
IP5M-1190W
IPM4M-1041B
IP3M-941B
ASH22-W
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Gotcha. Sounds like fun!