Help with some trouble shooting

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
bdix

Help with some trouble shooting

Post by bdix »

This will explain every step I have taken so hang in there. I currently am running 6 cameras, one camera failed because I didn't water proof the connection well and the male and female connectors corroded. I ordered a new camera, in the mean time i cut the ethernet cable found good cable re-spliced a connector and it tested good. I tried making repairs to the female end of the camera which was unsuccessful. New camera arrives i plug it in and it does not work at all. So I wanted to troubleshoot alot more before I blame the camera. I took it into my server rack and plugged it straight into amcrest poe switch and still nothing. Then I got curious and i grabbed a different ethernet cable and still it didn't work. There happened to be an ethernet cable from amcrest in one of the boxes and i decided what the hell and tried it as well, Boom the camera is up. So i thought what are the odds of 3 bad ethernet cables. Anyways glad it's not the camera, I made some repairs ran new ethernet and to my surprise it doesn't work again. So i'm guessing i screwed something up i go back to test the camera again on the ethernet that was working and now that one doesn't work either. I tried resetting the camera twice and nothing. I am scratching my head on why this thing works then doesn't, then does, and now it won't work at all. any help is appreciated.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Help with some trouble shooting

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There are a good many issues that can cause this.. Firs t comes to mind is a bad connection in the cable.. Could be in your camera or the cable to the network side it self.. However connecting it to your network closer to your Switch kind of tells me it might be camera side related..

be careful not to use camera cables that were not made for POE while I have some cameras that the 30v cables work fine with it could be bad and personally I wouldn't use standard low quality Cat cables that came with a non POE camera if it says 30v on the cable it could damage your camera using such cables..

With any luck if your camera has bad connecter or wire within the cable hope it isn't power side if video side bending the cable a little bit can make a connection and make the camera come to life however if there is no network then it could be the power wires then I would only bend and hold wires while not connected and then keeping that shape have the poe plugged in

Then 1 thing I found in one of my cameras that had a bad wire was I could make a connection using the 12v power rather then the POE that tells me that the wire within the cable into the camera is bad
Be Safe.