FTP setup with Netgear ReadyShare router

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
albertico

FTP setup with Netgear ReadyShare router

Post by albertico »

I have a Netgear router with USB-attached storage and can access it via FTP on other PCs/mobile devices in the same network. My Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD (connected via Ethernet to this router), however, just can't seem to access the local FTP site (it can save to my web host's FTP though). I have attached screenshots to see if there's something that stands out as a clear cause for my headache. Like I said, it is working quite well with my web host's FTP, but I'd prefer local storage that I can then backup using other means. Click on links to view full screenshots.

- Screenshot #1 : FTP settings on camera per an Amcrest setup video I watched

- Screenshot #2 : FTP status reported by camera in log

- Screenshot #3 : FTP options for Netgear ReadyShare (I don't know how that IP is generated)

- Screenshot #4 : Testing "FTP" access via browser (second to last under Access Method in Screenshot #3)

- Screenshot #5 : Testing "FTP (via Internet)" access via browser (last under Access Method in Screenshot #3)
albertico

Re: FTP setup with Netgear ReadyShare router

Post by albertico »

It's been a while since I originally posted this, want to bump this to the top in case someone has any input. Thanks!
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

Hi albertico,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800 router with ReadyShare and have managed to record video to my USB hard drive, from the IP2M-841 via ftp.

My settings look the same as yours but "readyshare.routerlogin.net" without the quotes will also work as well as "192.168.1.1"

Do you have FTP checked in the Path settings? Pic here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4EOon ... sp=sharing

Regards,
Paul.
junior466

Post by junior466 »

Wow, I came here looking for the exact solution. I am using a Tp Link C7 router and just connected an external HD to it and was looking to do the same. Under log, the FTP connection says "successfull" but still no recordings. Isn't a folder tree supposed to be created when the camera finds the FTP server?
Irritated

Post by Irritated »

Hi,

Has anyone got this working yet? I have 2, IP2M-842 cameras that will not deposit files on my ReadyShare FTP. Settings are correct as the FTP can be accessed /folders created and deleted manually / via LAN. HELP!

It is the cameras that will not create files on the FTP as shown in a set up video:
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -IP2M-841-

-I
albertico

Post by albertico »

Bat 'n' Ball wrote:Hi albertico,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800 router with ReadyShare and have managed to record video to my USB hard drive, from the IP2M-841 via ftp.

My settings look the same as yours but "readyshare.routerlogin.net" without the quotes will also work as well as "192.168.1.1"

Do you have FTP checked in the Path settings? Pic here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4EOon ... sp=sharing

Regards,
Paul.
Paul, I appreciate your response. Apologies for barely seeing it, I had given up and just today decided to check in. By chance, would you be able to screenshot your FTP settings? Are you using any login settings or did create a share for your recordings folder in the ReadyShare settings on the router?
tfran1990

Post by tfran1990 »

I am having the same exact issue. no folder tree produced/connection. whats the point of even having this camera if i cant get the FTp to work.
krs256

Post by krs256 »

I am also having a problem with FTP on my new IP2M-841 model cameras.

My remote FTP server is running ProFTPD and has a public IP address. I've tried reconfiguring the server with TLS, without TLS, and tried many other settings. None of my tests work with the Amcrest cameras, despite being able to connect using FileZilla every time. It does not seem to be a permissions issue.

Sometimes the Amcrest camera's attempt to access the FTP server is *partially* successful, but it always throws a badly spelled error message that does not give any clear indication of what the problem is. One a few occasions, I even get directories created on the remote FTP server, but have been unable to get snapshots to work in the same instances.

I will have to return these 5 camera devices if I can't get FTP to work. I *must* have off-site snapshot storage. This is pretty basic functionality, so I'm surprised by the weak implementation.
Conundrum68

Post by Conundrum68 »

Ok I got mine working as follows (R7800):

1. I enabled FTP admin login.
2. I changed the router password (this allows the FTP admin log in to actually work!).
3. I made a folder structure on the readyshare drive as follows (CASE MATTERS):
USB_Storage/<devicename>
Share this as a network folder with no password.

<devicename> is coped from the Amcrest setup in the System->General menu. It will look something like
AMC01863_9xxCFA
So it would be USB_Storage/AMC01863_9xxCFA in the above example.

4. Go to your Storage->Destination menu and do what you're supposed to do:
Choose FTP in the Path tab and hit save.
In the FTP tab, put the server IP in, username, and password
For the Remote Directory put exactly: shares/USB_Storage/
Check Emergency (Store on SD Card) if applicable.

5. Hit Save and Test

You might get a weird error "FTP Server test failure, list right loss."

Look in your USB_Storage folder. You should see a subfolder FTP_TEST. If that is there, with a text file in it, then it is working.
Test the event-recording function and you should find the recordings in that USB_Storage folder tree.

Hope this helps.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

Conundrum68 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm Ok I got mine working as follows (R7800):

1. I enabled FTP admin login.
2. I changed the router password (this allows the FTP admin log in to actually work!).
3. I made a folder structure on the readyshare drive as follows (CASE MATTERS):
USB_Storage/<devicename>
Share this as a network folder with no password.

<devicename> is coped from the Amcrest setup in the System->General menu. It will look something like
AMC01863_9xxCFA
So it would be USB_Storage/AMC01863_9xxCFA in the above example.

4. Go to your Storage->Destination menu and do what you're supposed to do:
Choose FTP in the Path tab and hit save.
In the FTP tab, put the server IP in, username, and password
For the Remote Directory put exactly: shares/USB_Storage/
Check Emergency (Store on SD Card) if applicable.

5. Hit Save and Test

You might get a weird error "FTP Server test failure, list right loss."

Look in your USB_Storage folder. You should see a subfolder FTP_TEST. If that is there, with a text file in it, then it is working.
Test the event-recording function and you should find the recordings in that USB_Storage folder tree.

Hope this helps.

really appreciate the instructions and i followed them but i just could not get FTP working from an ip3m-hx2 to work with a netgear r6400v1. swapped out the router with a linksys wrt1900acs and FTP works immediately. i read in another thread that netgear routers' readyshare does not play well with amcrest ip cameras but if the netgear router is flashed with opensource dd-wrt, then FTP works like a charm. i will flash the r6400v1 with dd-wrt and retest FTP.