Forced Firmware Update

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jamesdar

Re: Forced Firmware Update

Post by jamesdar »

Melvin wrote:
Hello,
We apologize there is an issue after the new firmware update as the pop up stays on the web interface asking you to update firmware again. Please ignore the message as we are working on this and this would be resolved at the earliest.

make a note ...
NEVER FORCE firmware update on the customer's hardware.
Heavy, persistent, persuasion should be the limit of manufacturers efforts.

Remember, the customer OWNS the device.
... personally, I consider these "unrequested, automatic updates" to be trespassing.
<EoR>
This is BS. I was in the middle of livestreaming a weeklong event. I use rtsp//. Everything was working fine. Forced Upgrade shows up and now my live streaming is dead. Tried to call support . Guess what Closed for New Years Eve and New Years.
First don't force me to change when I am not ready. Second if you are going to force a change on everyone you better damn sure leave someone to answer the phone.
cabinrob

Post by cabinrob »

Here's my take:
Never ever, ever force a FW update.
In fact, we should be able to configure the webcam so that it never, ever goes out to the net.
Some of us don't use the cloud with the cams. We are running our own systems, sometimes at very remote locations and with limited data plans. (Cellular modems etc.)
We do not want extra Internet traffic - since it is limited and very expensive.
If we want to be "left alone" then give us that option.

If someone is using Amcrest Cloud and there is a security problem - block the cloud servers - never force a fix at the customer. It's ok to keep the servers blocked until the customer updates their system - but at least this is under the control of the customer.

I have been testing one webcam to see if I trust if enough to put it at a remote location. I was thinking that Amcrest might be a good solution - so I ordered a couple more units. Luckily I haven't opened the packaging. After this FW mess I am seriously considering sending them back.

What a mess.
Adjutor

Post by Adjutor »

cabinrob wrote:Here's my take:
Never ever, ever force a FW update.
In fact, we should be able to configure the webcam so that it never, ever goes out to the net.
Some of us don't use the cloud with the cams. We are running our own systems, sometimes at very remote locations and with limited data plans. (Cellular modems etc.)
We do not want extra Internet traffic - since it is limited and very expensive.
If we want to be "left alone" then give us that option.

If someone is using Amcrest Cloud and there is a security problem - block the cloud servers - never force a fix at the customer. It's ok to keep the servers blocked until the customer updates their system - but at least this is under the control of the customer.

I have been testing one webcam to see if I trust if enough to put it at a remote location. I was thinking that Amcrest might be a good solution - so I ordered a couple more units. Luckily I haven't opened the packaging. After this FW mess I am seriously considering sending them back.

What a mess.
I agree completely cabinrob. Firmware updating should be optional, even if there is a security update. In addition, all present and past firmware files should be downloadable online so I can pick which firmware I want to use. If the latest and greatest firmware is what I'm looking for then that's fine, but if the best version that works for me was released 1 year ago then I should be able to downgrade to it. I really want to keep this camera, but with the lag issues I'm experiencing on ispyconnect and these forceful updates, it is making me a bit nervous to use it as a stable, reliable camera that I can trust. I need something that I can rely on.
cabinrob

Post by cabinrob »

All good points!
Completely agree.
I just hope that someone at Amcrest sees the wisdom in what we're writing.
I bought into Amrest since their product is very feature-rich and highly configurable. It would be a shame if they mess up a good product with a few poor technical/business decisions.
Let's hope that "common sense" will prevail.
jondoe

Post by jondoe »

jondoe wrote:It's happening now.

IP Cam keep connecting to below addressess:

dh.amcrestsecurity.com

http://www.amcrestcloud.com

s3.amazonaws.com

Dear AMCREST team,
Pls inform the customer if you're going to do the update especially holiday season where virus/trojans/spyware are active.
I don't see any announcement at your firmware update page.
Pls also publish checksum ( sha256 sum ) of your firmware file on your website for us to verify.

HELP!!!
https://amcrest.com/downloads/IP2M-841B ... %20Log.txt

Hello , where is hash values ( MD5 , sha256sum ) for the firmware ? It's been more than 48 hours and no where to be found on your website above.
BZCheeto

Post by BZCheeto »

So Amcrest !

Are you addressing this issue?

I am flabbergasted that you don't seem to be doing anything about this.

Where is your support ? Check me if I am wrong but I don't see any response from Amcrest..

ECD for a fix ?

Get with it !
Oldtechy

Post by Oldtechy »

again TODAY ... with the FORCED UPDATE
stop that NOW !

make a note ...
NEVER FORCE firmware update on the customer's hardware.
Heavy, persistent, persuasion should be the limit of manufacturers efforts.

Remember, the customer OWNS the device.
... personally, I consider these "unrequested, automatic updates" to be trespassing.
blu0001

Post by blu0001 »

Agree what Oldtechy said. Stop the forced update.
XeroHertZ

Post by XeroHertZ »

Hello,
1st day with my 1080p camera here...everything was working smoothly until this forced update which I got...It messed up my camera in HD mode be it 1080p or 720...horrible video stream delay and lag on my Wifi connection...the Amcrest Pro or Lite app is very unresponsive on my Galaxy Note 4 in either HD modes, but in SD mode it's very smooth. Not sure what happened here, tried a hard reset and factory defaults, nothing worked..i'm extremely annoyed :(
mel0dia

Post by mel0dia »

Did anyone get an answer to this issue? We have had a firmware update message pop up over and over for like a year now.