Failed Email Test ... I TRIED EVERYTHING! * PLEASE HELP! *

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
rebepa3

Failed Email Test ... I TRIED EVERYTHING! * PLEASE HELP! *

Post by rebepa3 »

Hey Everyone ! I have the Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 3 Megapixel Wi-Fi Vandal Dome IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, IK10 Vandal-Proof, 3MP (2048 TVL), IP3M-956B ... So far it's kind of been one problem after another... The latest problem is that I can not for the life of me get the email notifications to work. PLEASE HELP BEFORE I TARE MY HAIR OUT!!!! Customer service has NOT been helpful.

I have done the following:
- It Is a Gmail account.
- Setting are 100% Correct ( see attachment ).
- I am 100% Sure my password is correct.
- I have turned off " second Verification"
- Turned the Less Secure option thingy on in gmail.
- Tried both types of ports.

Does anyone else have any solutions? PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time!

Becky
Attachments
gmai.jpg
gmai.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 21853 times
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: Failed Email Test ... I TRIED EVERYTHING! * PLEASE HELP! *

Post by Melvin »

Hello rebepa3,

Is the mail test failing? Please change the port number to 465 and see if that works. Also note that you should add atleast one email address to the recipient field. Try again to see if it works. The less secure app option in Gmail should be set to 'On".
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

domoarigato

Post by domoarigato »

all my cameras have failed to send emails today as well.

worked fine before.
pbearcc61

Post by pbearcc61 »

I have the same camera as well as a few other Amcrest models and I cannot get email to work any of them. FRUSTRATING!!! I too am using gmail and have tried all the same troubleshooting steps and config options as the original poster has tried, including making sure there is no two-factor auth and the less secure apps setting is on.

I have also tried Outlook and Cox email accounts therefore I believe it is safe to assume I have ZERO problem with the Amcrest SMTP email set up itself as I am 100% all the email accounts I have tried work properly and I have entered the correct name/password info. I have tried SSL/465 as well as TLS/587.

It may be worth noting that as soon as I click "Email Test", I receive "Email Test Failed" ... absolutely ZERO delay. I am wondering if there is some sort of port forwarding or other config I need to perform against my router?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The cameras are worthless as a security force if they cant talk to me via email. Everything was so straightforward and easy to set-up on all four cameras until I got to the email setup.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello pbearcc61,

For Gmail, please try port 465 and encryption as SSL. This works fine in most cases. It is also possible that some firewall is blocking outbound traffic from the camera.

Please give us a call on 1-888-212-7538 if possible so that we can take a deeper look.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

pbearcc61

Post by pbearcc61 »

Thank you for the reply Amcrest. I am disappointed that your reply asks me to try port 465/SSL when I clearly wrote that I tried that, as did the original poster. I have shut off all firewalls (Windows 10 and my router) and no positive change in behavior. I will have to call you.
pbearcc61

Post by pbearcc61 »

After calling Amcrest tech support, I waited on hold for slightly over an hour and gave up. I am going to take another approach to solving this by updating all the firmware. I chose not to do this earlier since the release notes of the latest versions (IPM3-956, IP2M-841 and 3MP-POE) gave no indication that any changes were made related to email.
Last edited by pbearcc61 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello pbearcc61,

Sorry about that. Please note that we are also open on the weekends. Another thing to try is to change the Network settings to DHCP instead of static from the web interface of the camera-Setup > Network > TCP IP choose the correct adapter and enabled DHCP. Reboot the camera and try again. After this you can change it back to static.Please note that doing so will change the camera ip address so you will have to use the ipconfig tool to find the new ip address of the camera.

This works in situations where the camera is set to a static IP with incorrect DNS address.

pbearcc61

Post by pbearcc61 »

Updating the firmware solved the problem. I took the following approach making ZERO changes to my email/SMTP config ...

1) Performed an export of my config (under the "System->Import/Export" option in the Amcrest WebView App)
2) Downloaded the latest firmware (from Amcrest.com/firmware)
3) Applied the latest firmware (under the "System->Upgrade" option in the Amcrest WebView App)
4) Reset the camera to factory default settings (under the "System->Default Settings" option in the Amcrest WebView App)
5) Made sure camera successfully rebooted and logged back into the Amcest Webview App
6) Imported the config I exported earlier. (under the "System->Import/Export" option in the Amcrest WebView App)
7) Rebooted the camera. Unlike other features, the import process really does not tell you when it's done. Furthermore, when it did splash up the name of the file imported, I went to the various config options and did not find my setting had been restored. Frustrated I left the issue for about 30 minutes, came back and rebooted the camera, logged back in and found my settings had all been restored. I don't know if the 30 minute wait is what was needed to allow the import to complete or if the camera reboot was the solution to getting my saved config restored.
8) Tested email it worked. ((under the "Network->SMTP (Email)->Email Test" option in the Amcrest WebView App)
9) Having shutoff both the public and private network firewalls in Windows 10 and shut off the firewall in my router, I systematically turned one firewall on at a time and re-ran the email test and as each was turned on, I successfully retested email.

In conclusion, it seems all the cameras needed a firmware upgrade!! Nothing else I was trying to do made any difference. Amcrest advises users to update the firmware and it appears I should have done that to help avoid my frustrations.

During all of this, I watched most all the Amcrest videos and read everything on their website as well as this forum. While I did come across suggestion to upgrade firmware, again I did not see anything in the release notes indicating any sort of "fix" was applied to email (SMTP). I have a friend who recommended the Amcrest IP3m-956) and he had a bad experience upgrading the firmware of his camera which was another reason I was reluctant to take that step. I don't recall what his problem was, but I'm sure it was not related to email. He restored to old firmware and has stayed put with that old version and his cameras are working perfectly. Regardless, I should have done the upgrade earlier. As I mentioned, I watched/read just about everything and was unable to find any Amcrest published info that was really related to troubleshooting. Most everything they put out is good but it's all happy path. Going to their website for support they have a chat feature and those behind the scenes responding to chat requests are sales people who don't really know much about the technical aspects of the products therefore that was a waste of time. Also, calling Amcrest support as Melvin (site admin) suggested was somewhat of a bust of me as I waited over an hour on hold. After all this, for the price of their products and the great hardware, I may be reluctant in recommending the products to others that are not tech savvy solely due to the software which in my option could use some attention.

Good luck to you all.
pbearcc61

Post by pbearcc61 »

HI Melvin and thanks for the additional suggestions. Please note that I already had my TCP/IP settings to DHCP. I do not use wifi on any of the cameras. All are hardwired using CAT6 cabling. At my router I basically use the cameras mac address to map to fixed/static IP addresses so my cameras get the same IP each time they or the network reboots etc.