External trigger record

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Sneaky

External trigger record

Post by Sneaky »

Dear all,

I am new to Amcrest and this forum.
I have been selscting and choosing Amcrest as monitoring camera for the company I work for. It works great.
I am using one model only (PoE) UltraHD 4k (8MP).

I want to understand if there is a way to externally generate a signal to start a record on the internal SD card. I want to use this signal to monitor production plants. My controller, infact, will generate this signal and start some recording on an oscilloscope. I want this recording to match the video recording in order to analyze them together. This external signal can be physical (free voltage contact or any kind) or through communication protocol. By looking at API I did not find an external trigger record command.

Do you have any idea on how to implement this?

Thank you in advance.

BR,Sneaky
GaryOkie

Re: External trigger record

Post by GaryOkie »

Welcome Sneaky.

Since you've found the API manual, review the Record Mode config that has a manual start/stop recording command. This is also briefly referenced in this support article using the camera web UI, not the API - https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... to-Feature
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

There it is. Thank you very much GaryOkie!
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Dear all,

is there any other way of communicating with the camera, beside HTTP or HTTPS?

Maybe something that can be tested with PuTTY or similar (Telnet)?

Thank you
jack7

Post by jack7 »

To send HTTP commands to an Amcrest camera from a script requires Digest Authenication.  Download and use curl in your script to do that.  Perhaps that's why HTTP commands don't work for you.  Do some Google searches to learn about it.

Or use an Amcrest camera that has Alarm I/O feature that will provide an input wire that can be connected to your external signal wire.  Then use camera settings to enable alarm event that will cause SD card to record.  Most Amcrest PTZ cameras have the feature but I don't know what other ones.
Alarm in.JPG
Alarm in.JPG (71.34 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Thank you jack7,

maybe I was not clear but I have no issues on HTTP and it works correctly. I am looking for another way of communication. My goal is to sync a digital oscilloscope with the camera recording. I have an industrial PLC on my hand and I'd prefer to avoid HTTP as it relies on additional library for the device to communicate properly. So it'll be good to have, for example, UDP.

Is there anything available different from HTTP/HTTPS?

Sneaky
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Sneaky wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:42 am Thank you jack7,

maybe I was not clear but I have no issues on HTTP and it works correctly. I am looking for another way of communication. My goal is to sync a digital oscilloscope with the camera recording. I have an industrial PLC on my hand and I'd prefer to avoid HTTP as it relies on additional library for the device to communicate properly. So it'll be good to have, for example, UDP.

Is there anything available different from HTTP/HTTPS?

Sneaky
Unfortunately I have ho phisical IO for triggering an alarm on my cam.
Attachments
Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG (44.68 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Not all cameras offer alarms and I think jack was saying that it might be better to use a camera that does have that option built in. While your current camera don't offer an alarm maybe you have one in your fleet that has Alarm inputs.

Some have them built into the body and others have them on the wire bundle. Looking at these 2 cameras one. The Dahua one is AI camera with loads of things built in. It has Alarm on the wire that I have connected. Then another one by Amcrest is a PTZ and has Alarm on the wire (Cable Bundle)

So maybe another camera you have might have alarms and if so then moving it to the location you need it service.

Edit for a 3rd with alarm that is an Hikvision OEM 4mp AI camera with wire connector on bundle
Screenshot (4129).png
Screenshot (4129).png (75.75 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Screenshot (4130).png
Screenshot (4130).png (142.57 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Screenshot (4131).png
Screenshot (4131).png (73.17 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Be Safe.