Excessive Alert Emails

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
zkaps

Excessive Alert Emails

Post by zkaps »

Parameter Interval in SMTP (Emails) is currently set to 600. When motion is detected, more often than not, I receive multiple alert emails within a 2-minute period, which is not even close to the defined 10-minute interval. Which parameters other than Interval do I need to tweak to eliminate excessive alert emails ?

Thanks,
Zkaps
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Excessive Alert Emails

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So there are a few different things. First I would try changing the Anti-Dither if you made any changes to that.. While I used to use mine at 0 because I like the Push I would get and how fast it was even for cars going by. I could get my 3 pictures back before the car was out of the scene. I have since moved the A-D back to 5 where it was when the camera was setup new. Seeing it also works for other tings like doing a Tour on motion the A-D is how long it will stay at that cameras view before going back to the grid.

If you didn't make any changes to the A-D I would then try and camera Reset to see if doing a Reset fixes the issue. Keep in mind after a reset and changing the Email back and setting of Interval that you fine tune from then on, Meaning once a new setting has changed I would Doc what it was before and the new setting. I would even do a Setting change, Reboot, and that will take away what I call cool off period. Even though most times settings are fast changes just in case it was going to cool off it don't know that after it has been rebooted.

Outside of that Sensitivity and Threshold at 60 and 5 respectfully is normally a good setting.

If you have loads of rain, snow, shadows and or a busy scene it can be tough to get these dialed in for alerts.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
zkaps

Post by zkaps »

Many thanks for your reply but I am not there yet.

The A-D parameter must be one of the most counterintuitive, confusing technical items I have across my life....and technology is not foreign to me. According to the example in the camera's manual, if A-D is set to 10 sec. and the system detects another alarm at the 5th sec., i.e., if the A-D interval has not expired yet, then the snapshot and recording functions will be activated again but "the screen prompt, alarm upload, email will not be activated again" until a new A-D period starts. This implies 1 email per A-D period. For this reason I had changed A-D from the default 5 sec. to 60 sec. and this did reduce the no. emails to a certain extent but not entirely thus my original post. If I change A-D back to 5 sec., then the "Send Email" function will be activated that much more frequently....more A-D periods, therefore more emails.

What am I missing ?

Thanks again,
Zkaps
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I will need to setup some testing as I have all my systems reset and things changed. I still have my Email server so I will have to do some testing as I don't remember. What works well on 1 camera seems not to on another (Personally I find Code flaw) myself however I have been told just the way it is and I learn to deal wit it one way or another..

I will need to do some more testing. But yes I understand what your saying. I have some cameras that just has Crazy images and another one in same spot same FOV and same settings will work..

So what camera are you working with so I can see if I have one and setup and do some testing. I don't own them all so sorry in advance if I don't have yours.

Model camera
Firmware installed Pre 2019 or post?
Be Safe
zkaps

Post by zkaps »

Yes, seeing the posts on the various topics in the forum, I kind of suspected the one size fits all does not work with camera settings. The camera in question is IP2M-841.

Thanks,
Zkaps
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well the good news is I have over a Dozen of them. Bad news is the ones I wanted to work with all have new FW on them.. So Just need to know what type of Firmware your using. Pre 2019 or the newer one?

I will setup 3 for testing. 2016 FW, 2017, and 2020

I used to have some on my Front windows facing out. Loved them for the Push ability to cell even with the 2019 FW it was faster then getting emails. I do remember that most of the alerts came with 3 to 5 images most times 3. However on some alerts they would have a good amount of images from the alerts but also at the time I ran my A-D at 0.
Be Safe
zkaps

Post by zkaps »

FW: Amcrest_IPC-AWXX_Eng_N_AMCREST_V2.420.AC00.18.R.20190729
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok Thanks

So I have some ideas as I was setting up the One with new FW V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2020-02-17

I just thought of something. I did a Reset of the Camera back to factory, I setup a new Location because didn't like the one it was in, I setup the mail server info, I got my test message. I then went to look at the info in Motion, Setup a grid, Noticed it was setup for 0 LOL Ok that is odd before I changed them all to 0 this one was factory reset and at 0 go figure..

I then went to camera to configure the snapshot area under Trigger (Event) that is important.. Then found where I think the issue is. That needs to change from default 1 second to something outside of that. In your case maybe you wanted 10, so setting that to 10, your still going to get 3 images every 10 seconds on a per Trigger for motion
Screenshot (1732).png
Screenshot (1732).png (144.95 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Be Safe
zkaps

Post by zkaps »

I can try what you are suggesting but how does snapshot frequency effect email alerts ? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Zkaps
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I am doing images, I mean I guess if your doing video or live view but from what it sounds like that you were talking about sending your email images?!???

So in that case when your sending images it will send the 3 and wait 10 seconds before it would send out more if there was more motion event to reports I mean correct me if I am wrong but that is what your trying to do right? Keep the numbers of images down?

Sorry I guess I miss understood what your trying to do
Be Safe