Emails stopped working...

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Toy4Rick

Re: Emails stopped working...

Post by Toy4Rick »

I called support and they indicated it's a known issue caused by a change that Google made. A fix should be available this week

Yeah right, heard that before
grabczb

Post by grabczb »

My camera models IP2-841, IPM-721B, and IPM-723B all stopped sending email alerts using my gmail account. Tried recommendations from previous threads to change from SSL to TLS but that didn’t work. Email test within the camera reports a red, “Email test failed”.

I also have a couple of Foscam cameras that work just fine. This appears from my troubleshooting that this is an Amcrest problem. However, haven’t seen any Amcrest tech responding to this thread. How many reports are needed before this problem is recognized from Amcrest? Camera are really useless for security given this problem. Reliable? Absolutely not!
jgindiana

Post by jgindiana »

I posted this on the "General Security" forum, which is discussing the same issue, and used the solution posted there. Here's what I posted:

I too switched to outlook smtp as suggested in this thread. It worked at first after hitting "Reset Defaults" and entering the SMTP server that Bryan set up for "ripkabyl". But it has now become intermittent in it's email alerts, stopping for 18 to 24 hours, then starting up in the middle of the night, only to have stopped again by 7am. I did a total "Reset Defaults" and again entered the fields as before, only to get "Email Test Failed". I'm not technical enough to trouble shoot on my own, but this would lead me to believe there is a larger problem beyond just gmail.com.
imit8

Post by imit8 »

Replying to subscribe. The regular subscription function is broken and showing an error.
racinjason77

Post by racinjason77 »

rayleaf wrote:Same here...all my eight IP2M-841 cameras do not send any email motion alerts .

Had issues earlier in the year and was resolved by changing from SSL/465 to TLS/587 with my Gmail account and now again does not work with either SSL/465 or TLS/587 ...WILL NOT WORK WITH EITHER.

All my non Amcrest cameras have been working great all year and no not have these issues and yet these cameras are using the same LAN and same gmail account and are on the same router,same area,etc. Non Amcrest cameras work on SSL or TLS and with correct port for gmail.

Believe that these Amcrest camera issues are not all Google/Amazon server issues but are due to Amcrest software/changes. Non Amcrest cameras continue to work great without these software issues.
Same exact problem with my IP2M & IP4M, did the same thing earlier this year and now tried the same things you said. DEFINITELY an Amcrest issue!

Others said Amcrest support said Google changed something. B.S. It continues to work for every other camera manufacturer just fine. I have 3 other camera brands too, they work fine using the same settings. FIX YOUR PROBLEM AMCREST!!!
mromamcrest

Post by mromamcrest »

Good Evening,

We apologize for the interruption in Gmail notifications that is occurring.

As of right now, Our R&D team continues to investigate the issue. So far it has been identified to be google's end not returning the proper handshaking to the camera. The root cause of the handshaking issue has not been identified. However, we have seen other services like Yahoo and Outlook that are working. In many cases, we have been able to recommend using outlook with their Gmail as an alternative and temporary solution.

In the case of Yahoo, most issues that we have encountered have been the security settings not set up properly to allow the notifications to be sent. Please ensure two-step verification is disabled and allow less secure apps to be enabled.

In the case of Outlook, there is a verification email that is sent that needs to be done in order to allow the camera to send notifications.

As we gather more information for our in-progress investigation, Please provide us the following information:

What camera brands and model are currently working for you?

Which other email providers are failing other than Google and after using the suggestions above?

As more updates become available from our R&D team, We will update the post here. We also encourage everyone who may want to beta test new firmware as they become available to visit our current beta testing topics.

For further troubleshooting, please feel free to reach out to [email protected] or by calling 1-888-212-7538.

Thanks,

Amcrest Support
tonester

Post by tonester »

preppym1 wrote:This is an amcrest issue. I don't like how they must obviously be routing smtp through something other than directly to SMTP servers.
Not that I wouldn't agree with that assumption, but I suppose one way to find out for sure is (on your end) to perform a Wireshark capture or similar to see where exactly SMTP traffic is going to once it leaves your camera.
PCFX

Post by PCFX »

mromamcrest wrote:Please provide us the following information:

What camera brands and model are currently working for you?

Which other email providers are failing other than Google and after using the suggestions above?
Yahoo didn't work for me. Outlook worked for a short time and then stopped working. I've since switched to a hosted email solution which isn't free but so far working.

I'm using the IPM-HX1W/B cameras which worked great until this past weekend when emails stopped.
Cameras that are working with gmail current are from Dlink (932/942 series) No issues with those using the standard Google SMTP settings. I've got another brand of camera coming in this week that I'll try as well.
GRSmith

Post by GRSmith »

This is what appears to be going on. Attachment #1 is a packet capture of an attempted connection between the camera and one of the many GMail servers. Notice the line highlighted in dark blue: Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Inappropriate Fallback).

The explanation in Attachment #2 provides background on this fatal alert.

Attachment #3 shows (truncated) output from the openssl s_client command when making a connection to a GMail server. Notice that GMail is using TLSv1.3.

I suspect that Amcrest needs to upgrade the client (camera) to support TLS V1.3... and not offer any fallback to lower TLS versions when connecting with GMail servers.

(NOTE: To view attachments comfortably, right click one and choose to open it in a new browser tab.)
Attachments
Attachment 1.jpg
Attachment 1.jpg (174.51 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Attachment 2.jpg
Attachment 2.jpg (145.19 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Attachment 3.jpg
Attachment 3.jpg (211.91 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
PCFX

Post by PCFX »

Nice work GRSmith, definitely looks like you've found the cause. Now the real question is how far back will they offer FW updates. My cameras aren't all that old and no FW updates for a very long time. It'd be nice if one day manufacturers would support their devices for longer than a few years.