Email test fails

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
garypsu67

Email test fails

Post by garypsu67 »

I have 3 hard wired Amcrest IP cameras. All 3 stopped sending email 2 days ago when motion was detected. In the setup mode, the email test fails. I’m quite sure that I didn’t change any settings in the camera or router that would cause this. Any ideas?
IP8M-2597EB-28MM
IPM-HX1
IP4M-1051B
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Email test fails

Post by Revo2Maxx »

One what Mail you using? What Ver FW are you using and almost always test mail fails even with my working server so I don't know why the test is there....
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
garypsu67

Post by garypsu67 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: One what Mail you using? What Ver FW are you using and almost always test mail fails even with my working server so I don't know why the test is there....
I’ve tried both google and a yahoo email, with and without two factor authentication. I rebooted the router. I have the latest firmware. I’m not getting motion detection emails regardless of what I try. The emails just stopped for all three cameras for no reason.
IP8M-2597EB-28MM
IPM-HX1
IP4M-1051B
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I am not sure.. It is hard to understand that if your on th eNew FW that your having an issue with Gmail seeing that it was solved with the 2019 roll out of FW updates....

I am going to guess that you might want to try this... While I am not saying this is the cause I am guessing.... My next guess is going to be that your Email has been filled by the Monthly Quota on the Email over that type of service... If I remember right I think they have 150 or 250 max monthly.... I still have my email working have 2 that I have going to Gmail even though I own my own server I have put 2 camera with new FW update of 2019 on the gmail again for testing.... These 2 cameras I have set up for limited motion so I don't go over the max if there was one... What I do know is on my own server on the cameras going to that I just looked and the 4 cameras I have going there I have had 1548 emails in the last 10 days... I can say that before I made some changes to my Motion Grids I would get that in less then a couple of days... Even so much that for a little while I turned off Motion email because I was getting way to many...

SO I would try and make a new account for gmail and ad your cameras to that account for testing.. Testing email button never works for me so just set up and let the motion go to work for making sure it is working or not... I have a camera that isn't getting new updates so I bought my own Mail server to make sure I get motion notices on days I am away...
Be Safe
duc916

Post by duc916 »

Not sure if you tried this already, but I had the same issue with my gmail 3-4 months ago, where all my cams stopped emailing. I eventually solved it by allowing less secure apps (and making no changes to my cameras' email settings).
This link should take you straight there if your browser is signed in: https://myaccount.google.com/u/1/lessse ... ageId=none
Attachments
google_less_secure_apps.jpg
google_less_secure_apps.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
straycat4243

Post by straycat4243 »

I spent the better part of 2 days trying to figure out this issue with my IP2M-841 cameras, 5 in total, each on different FW versions (primarily because I was lazy with upgrading). I read all of the various threads on the issue, and tried a lot of different things. In case it helps anyone in the future, here’s what I observed:
  • Similar to many others, my cameras had all been previously sending email alerts using gmail with less secured app access turned on
  • Tried switching back and forth between SSL and TLS – neither worked
  • Upgrading to latest FW (Build Date: 2019-12-18) did not solve the issue for me
  • Tried both yahoo and outlook.com, neither of which worked
  • Tried zoho mail with no luck
  • Turned 2-factor authentication setting on in Google and generated an app password to use. No dice.
  • All of the above was done using the web UI (Amcrest view chrome ext). Also tried using the Amcrest View IOS app (Configuration Center) to setup the email that way. Didn’t help.
  • Fortunately, I had access to 3 other 841 cameras at a different location, and so I also tried the above on those (through the app) in case it was some weird firewall issue at my location. It was not.
At the end of the day (and as others who are smarter than me mentioned), it seems you really do need to use a different mail service (other than the typical commercial options). Fortunately, I have a shared hosting account with bluehost, which includes the ability to create email addresses through their system. The email interface is pretty crappy (and actually I had changed my MX records to use google instead), but I was still able to create an account for the sole purpose of sending these alerts.

Once the email account was created in bluehost, all I had to do was use the bluehost SMTP address (e.g., box123.bluehost.com), indicate SSL and port 465, and enter the username, sending address, and PW as usual. And voila, email test finally works on all of my cameras, regardless of FW. And the actual sending of emails based on motion detection also works. Maybe a bit too well, but that’s another story.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah a BIT to well I have to agree lol... I own my own email sever so I could get my alerts but now have them scaled down so I am not getting 1000 a day... Plus to be honest there is a Cap on Google and I wonder if some people that have it working withthe NEW fw and then have had issues afer it was working is only a cap issue? Own your own no cap but who wants to go though 1000 emails a day lol
Be Safe
garypsu67

Post by garypsu67 »

I have motion detection email working with an email account from my personal “domain”. I contacted Amcrest support and was told that they have a problem with yahoo and google and are working on it. They had me test a couple of things with a newly created Yahoo account and it still didn’t send e-mail. They wanted to call me and try other options while on the phone with them, but I passed on that idea. I don’t understand how a problem could occur with no software or firmware updates from when it was fine.
IP8M-2597EB-28MM
IPM-HX1
IP4M-1051B
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

becasue yahoo and gmail makes changes to there servers
Be Safe
melionone

Re: Gmail and Yahoo Email Still Failing

Post by melionone »

Any solutions from anyone better than the one below?

My Rant:

Okay so I’ve tried both google and a yahoo email, with and without two factor authentication. I have the latest firmware. I’m not getting motion detection emails regardless of what I try. The emails just stopped for my 2 cameras.

BTW I did generate a 16 digit password APP thru Yahoo and that worked on 3 cameras that I set up last week for a friend (TBD if those cameras are still working) versus the Yahoo login password associated with the Yahoo account.

My solution was to create a new forwarding email thru a private domain that I own, I used the "Other" as the option to setup the email. I configured the Cameras to send email photos thru the private domain email versus the commercial Google and Yahoo. I have NO limits on the commercial accounts so they are my preference...my private domain has a 500 mg limit on emails, so I would need to go in and clean out the email account to periodically to keep it from filling up. That is a pain. So Amcrest needs to update the firmware (FW) to work with Google and Yahoo with whatever changes these giants have made to the servers etc.