Email test always fails - brand new camera

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
j.s

Email test always fails - brand new camera

Post by j.s »

New IP2M-842, having trouble setting up the smtp server. In order to narrow things down, I'm using a local smtp server running inside my lan and looking at its logs.

The camera does not connect to the smtp server at all, and does not log an error on the camera side when doing an email test. Every "Email Test" button press results in a failure, http response below. A 500 error, which does not inspire confidence.

Simplest possible setup: no auth, local server - still it hasn't worked once. What gives?

Code: Select all

{ "error" : { "code" : 500, "message" : "Internal Server Error" }, "id" : 91, "params" : null, "result" : false, "session" : 187524649 }
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: Email test always fails - brand new camera

Post by Melvin »

Hello j.s ,

One thing you need to check is if the Ethernet adapter is in DHCP mode. Sometimes when it is set to static with wrong DNS info it might have this issue. I am not sure why its not connecting to the local server. I assume the camera firmware is set in such a way it does not connect to a no password server etc. So to test, I would suggest you to use a different email as well like Gmail. With Gmail, if you run in to issues, please take a look at the below steps.

1) Make sure the two step verification is disabled in Gmail.
2) Turn on the 'Less secure app' option in Gmail.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

j.s

Post by j.s »

It is using the wifi adapter, not ethernet. They are both in DHCP mode. The camera is online, I can connect to it, but it will not connect to the email server.

Is there a lower level log I can use to see what the problem is? "Internal server error 500" is not very informative.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,

Unfortunately we dont have access to any other log report from the camera for the email test. My suggestion is to try with a Gmail address as sender and use your own email address as the recipient.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

j.s

Post by j.s »

So I pointed it to gmail instead for troubleshooting, which sends a test email fine (after setting up the gmail account mentioned elsewhere). But no emails are ever sent for motion events or any other events! This is quite frustrating. The email option is checked on the motion event configuration, and other alert mechanisms fire (log, ftp recording, http event push). Also nothing is logged in the system log about failure to send real emails.

Any ideas?
dubdub

Post by dubdub »

I have the exact issue with Internal SMTP server. This works fine on a couple older Foscams, but no luck with this new one. I was able to get it to work with a hotmail address. But we really need our internal email to work.

Server
Port 24
Login Anonymously
No Authentication.

Email test failed.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello j.s,

Make sure that the snapshot option under Event settings and the 'attachment' in the Email settings are checked. Also make sure to add recipient.

dubdub,

If you are using Gmail, make sure that under Gmail settings, 'Allow less secure app' is turned on and two step verification is off.

dubdub

Post by dubdub »

We are using an internal exchange server. Thank you though.
j.s

Post by j.s »

>> Make sure that the snapshot option under Event settings and the 'attachment' in the Email settings are checked. Also make sure to add recipient.

Thanks for the suggestions - all of these are done with no new result, any other ideas? Just reconfirmed the test email goes out properly.

As mentioned in another thread, it would be nice to be able to access the os logs on the camera device to troubleshoot these sorts of things, given that the software is so flaky and the existing log is not adequate for troubleshooting.
snackdrag

Post by snackdrag »

Same issue, smtp servers with authentication work, anonymous SMTP does not work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.