Email Date and Time is Wrong

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jetch

Email Date and Time is Wrong

Post by jetch »

This is my second email regarding this issue. the first one had 40 views, and ZERO responses!! what kind of support is this?
----------------------------------------

when a motion detection event occurs, i receive an email with a snapshot and the date and time of the motion detection.

The date and time shown within the email contents is correct. However, the date/time stamp on the email itself is wrong. it is off by 15 hours (i am in the pacific time zone (california).

So to be clear, the email comes in right when the motion detection occurs, but the date/time stamp of when the email was sent is off by 15 hours.

I noticed another message on this same bug, has it been fixed yet? If not, when?
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: Email Date and Time is Wrong

Post by Melvin »

Hello jetch,

There seems to be some bug in the camera firmware as far as the wrong time in the email is concerned. We have reported this issue to the developers and there will be a fix coming with upcoming firmware updates.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

jetch

Post by jetch »

when will this issue be fixed? this issue was first reported in march, but there hasn't been a firmware update since january. this seems like a very easy issue to fix.
NeedHelp

Post by NeedHelp »

...bump...

This issue sucks and needs to be addressed. Any ETA on a resolution.

I have performed a factory reset and thought that fixed the problem but it came back (possibly after I changed out the micro SD card.)

I get an alert and it gets lost in my inbox due to the incorrect email date/time.

By the way, my emails show a time that is 12 hours earlier than the actual event. I'm using GMT -4 for my timezone.
Bill48105

Post by Bill48105 »

Having this issue as well on IP2M-841.

I do know that it appears the Date header is hard-coded to always be +800 in emails from the cam. Example:
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:25:46 +0800
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:44:05 +0800
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 05:09:07 +0800

Those were using 3 different timezones.. That is *always* +0800 in emails from the cam.. That +0800 should change for each TZ set! Amcrest needs to read in TimeZone setting from the camera that's set by the user then USE THAT TIMEZONE OFFSET for the email's Date header. That'll correct the issue.

My "fix" (I use that term loosely since yes it makes the correct date/time show in the email headers so it's not lost within email list it messes up the date/time shown/saved elsewhere such as in the message body, scheduling file timestamp etc) is to set Sync with NTP server & set INCORRECT TZ to GMT+0700 (i'm -400). In my case I also have DST enabled but if not the TZ needs to be adjusted by another hour. Luckily sending Test email is easy enough to trial & error to the right TZ that works. Again this isn't a real fix & likely not acceptable for many but in my case it was more important to see the email in the right spot. The reason why my "hack" works is that Date header TIME is adjusted to compensate for the incorrect timezone offset.

The really odd thing is the Amcrest NVR shows right date/time on email, Amcrest Cloud shows right date/time on email and Amcrest View Pro Android app shows right date/time so not sure why the camera firmware is the only place this issue occurs.

Btw if this isn't going to be fixed in the firmware any time soon I'm tempted to change the Date header in hMailserver script.. Then at least it can be adjusted transparently to everything & not cause the nasty side effects we have to live with otherwise. But yeah please fix this Amcrest.
Bill
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello Bill48105,

We appreciate you taking your time to share this. We will keep our R&D posted on this.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Bill48105

Post by Bill48105 »

Hi Melvin. Thanks for the response. I actually have 2 working fixes by doing an inline proxy script both in python (so it's OS independent & works on nix windows etc) and a GUI version in autoit for Windows. They are quite trivial as they just listen for connections then when a connection comes in they connect out & act as a man in the middle looking for the date line that needs to be changed & changes it on the fly without changing anything else resulting in correct date/time shown in the email while having the correct date/time in the camera itself still. It's not ideal but it's the best fix for this until a real fix in the firmware is complete. I just need to figure out the best way to post the scripts & instructions on how to setup & use them for those interested.
Bill
Bill48105

Post by Bill48105 »

FYI I posted a python proxy script that works as a temp fix until the firmware is updated:
https://amcrest.com/forum/technical-dis ... t1713.html
disgustipated

Post by disgustipated »

This is ... /still/ ... an issue. I'm using smtp over tls with 1and1 web hosting if that helps and from your in house testing is not reproducible. I can provide a wireshark trace if needed to help narrow this down... seems pretty basic though
disgustipated

Post by disgustipated »

Would be much appreciated if Amcrest would comment on the status of the dev ticket if Melvin had logged it. Do they need more info or is this not fixable at all? bill48105 had but a lot of good information together, and pretty awesome workaround, but I dont want to have to use a python script running on my NAS to handle something like this.