DVR overheating

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Hockey27925

DVR overheating

Post by Hockey27925 »

Simple question: I need to store away my dvr in a cabinet hidden away from my employees connected to a power source within the cabinet. Will the DVR overheat if it is locked in the cabinet with no circulation other than the gap between the two doors that keep the cabinet closed maybe 1mm wide?
shedbuilder

Re: DVR overheating

Post by shedbuilder »

Probably not a problem if you are in a climate controlled building. The stock dvr with a single hard drive does not seem to get very hot. If you add multiple hard drives you will need to ventilate the cabinet and add a cooling fan.
Hockey27925

Post by Hockey27925 »

Thank you. Also debating whether to get the 720 or the 1080 analog system. Any thoughts or inputs?
Maddux

Post by Maddux »

Invest in one of those cheap laptop coolers and place it under the DVR and just use an available USB port to power it. :D
Maddux

Post by Maddux »

Also make sure that the white cable that runs from the front display to the main board is above the hard drive and not under it. Apparently the heat underneath the hard drive heated up the cable and that causes the motherboard to trip also.
Maddux

Post by Maddux »

*Update - After installing the cooling fan a while back, it has kept the DVR ice cold but the reboots started coming back, so I did more research and on a hunch, I looked at the power adapter Amcrest provided for the DVR. It only provides 2 amps. The hard drive alone can use up to about 3 amps at times so I disconnected the adapter that was supplied and switched with an old 4 amp laptop adapter I had sitting around and voila! It's been about 3 months now and the DVR has ceased the reboot cycles. So the adapters they send do not provide enough power to the DVR. Think of a computer that turns off after the loading screen.. once you change the power supply, the issue disappears.. same method applies here :)