Connecting to wifi extender?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
taymag

Connecting to wifi extender?

Post by taymag »

I have 3 cameras connected directly to my router (the normal way) but I have a 4th that is far from the router, can I connect this to a extender (the extender has its own wifi name, example: router_EXT)
jack7

Re: Connecting to wifi extender?

Post by jack7 »

That may work ok, but it would be more stable to run an ethernet cable from router to camera.
There is also a product that use house elecrical wiring for the cable. And products that use MOCA and cable co. TV wall outlets.
brucewol

Post by brucewol »

I helped a friend with a remote wifi camera using an extender and it worked fine. I felt the radio in the extender would be better than the one in the camera.
andremike

Post by andremike »

I actually connected my camera to an extender and it works better now then connected to my router. I would always have to unplug my camera because it seems like it lost wifi.. Ever since connecting it to wifi extender it has been great
dcalcutt

Post by dcalcutt »

DO not use extenders, they cut the band with in half just to re-broadcast the signal.

Its expensive, but the best to use is a router in bridge mode, teathered to anoth router in access point more.

And with today routers in 5G, you get connections like mine with Asus RT-AC86U of 1300mbps on the 5G.
James.S

Post by James.S »

I also do not recommend using a Extender, Using a Router in bridge mode is a the best idea when it come to extending WiFi signal. Routers are generally rated much better and are designed to a handle more than just bridge mode. Routers are also often more likely to provide a better experience.
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

I would not recommend using bridge mode, I did it on my Comcast router and it knocked out my WIFI. I had to format my router and start all over. When I say start all over, I mean even further back than Comcast setup the router before they gave it to you! It took me a few hours before I got everything back up and running!

I recently installed a Linksys 2.4ghz extender and it helped quite a bit. I still have one camera that on rare occasion goes out. What I recently found is that the antenna that comes with these cameras is a 3db antenna, I just purchased a replacement antenna that is 18db. The antenna was only $9 and well worth trying. Per my electronics background, your signal doubles with every 3db so this should help greatly. This antenna is only 9" tall unlike some of those huge ones. I have 2 of the other ones sitting on my desk that I cant use, they are too tall for where my cameras are mounted. If you decide to upgrade your antenna, you need to have a male SMA plug, NOT RP-SMA. Be sure that the SMA connector has the pin in the center not a hole in the middle. RP-SMA is far more common that our SMA, they also make a RP-SMA/SMA adapter.

Another thing that I did recently, I added an eWelink plug on each one. This is a wireless controlled plug with an app to control it. They are only about $6 each on eBay, when my camera goes on the fritz, I cycle power with eWelink and its back up and running!
James.S

Post by James.S »

@Hotrod53

That is quite a weird situation with your Modem/Router to have issues. At my home I have At&T and they have the Modem/Router in my closet on one end of the house and its a horrible spot to provide WiFi to the whole house. So I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 to place in the center of the house. Turned off the Wifi from the At&T combo and put the R7000 in Bridge Mode to produce a more centered and overall more powerful WiFi.

I have also used an Extender as and they were quite good but there were never as good as a router in my opinion. Also from my understanding increasing the dB of Antenna has a limit. if the manufacture is using 3db and you put a 9db you can see some gain but once you start adding more past this your not. The Extender does not have the power or the software understanding to know it needs to push more current into the antenna to produce a larger gain. Adding a larger antenna adds the capacity to produce a larger signal however if your device does not have the power to do so you will run into a limit.

The remote plug is a great idea as many customers have their cameras mounted up high and power cycling can be a pain. Amcrest at one point ( Before I was Employed by them ) had some smart plugs however we ran into some issues with them and discontinued them. Perhaps we will re-look into this one day.
maxwhite

Post by maxwhite »

I would advice against using an extender. You can buy another router and connect both router to create a bridge? That would work better in my opinion