Changed Router but Can't Connect Camera

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
dljone1

Changed Router but Can't Connect Camera

Post by dljone1 »

We got a new fiber internet service. Due to reliability issues, I've had to switch routers to MetroNet's stock router.

I've tried to reconnect our camera using WIFI & Ethernet. The wifi method does not work. (It didn't work during initial setup using old router either.) The Ethernet does not work either. When I get to the screen that asks for the SSID & password, no SSID shows up. The screen says to check my settings, make sure it's a 2.4 ghz (it should be as I've re-connected my 2.4 smartplugs.)

When I add my camera (after deleting the old setup), do I use the stock "admin" password or the changed password? I've tried it both ways without success. Do I need to do a factory reset in order to use the original admin password.

How do I get my cameras to reconnect?
wikidee

Re: Changed Router but Can't Connect Camera

Post by wikidee »

If you have recently changed the connection and the router, you want to verify whether your router has smart dual band. In Smart Dual band, basically a single channel is used to transmit 2.4 and 5 G although they are separate frequencies. I had a similar problem with another IP Camera and as soon as I switched off the smart dual box, all worked fine.

Unless you have reset the camera, you need to use your most recent username and password, not the stock one.
KodiakJack

Post by KodiakJack »

I am having the same problem. Our router went down and I replace it with the same model Netgear Nighthawk (R7000). Unable to setup via wireless and Ethernet setup does not see the SSDI for the wireless network (but the wireless setup does). I can log in and access the camera via Ethernet using the Internet Explorer pug in just fine but need them back on the wireless network. Using Netgear's Genie configuration program I unchecked the the box next to "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" and almost immediately got a notice that one of my printers lost the network. I was just guessing that that might be the "Smart Dual Band" mentioned above. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Later,
J
KodiakJack

Post by KodiakJack »

I am having the same problem. Our router went down and I replace it with the same model Netgear Nighthawk (R7000). Unable to setup via wireless and Ethernet setup does not see the SSDI for the wireless network (but the wireless setup does). I can log in and access the camera via Ethernet using the Internet Explorer pug in just fine but need them back on the wireless network. Using Netgear's Genie configuration program I unchecked the the box next to "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" and almost immediately got a notice that one of my printers lost the network. I was just guessing that that might be the "Smart Dual Band" mentioned above. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Later,
J
wikidee

Post by wikidee »

You should try the following :

a) Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence. This is not the Smart Dual Band function and is only to avoid interference. Call the Netgear tech support to check how to disable 5 GHz connection and then check your camera.
b) For 2.4ghz, select a non-overlapping channel 1,6,or 11 in the Settings
c) Do a firmware upgrade of the router
d) You also need to double check if the SSID can be seen. Then, check the signal strength. Try connecting to 2.4 GHz from your Laptop and then take the laptop near the camera after installing Acrylic (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-sof ... wifi-free/). It should show you if there is a signal strength problem or an interference from other devices.

e) Finally, the best way to eliminate that the router is indeed is the problem, take your Armcrest Camera to a friends house or try connecting it to a neighbors connection or best make your cell phone as a hotspot using your mobile data connection and see if it connects up.

The new routers have been creating a lot of incompatibility problems with pretty much everything.
KodiakJack

Post by KodiakJack »

Later,
J
dljone1

Post by dljone1 »

It's me again. I got a little further but I'm still not connected.

Here is a little more info. My new router is a ZyXEL EMG3425-Q10A. It is the router that came with my new ISP (MetroNet). I connected via the Ethernet method. (I can never get WIFI to work.)

I connected and even got the screen that said "WIFI connection is successful. Disconnect Ethernet cable, Wait 30 seconds and tap "live view." I did as instructed. My phone buffered for a few minutes (see image) and finally said "Failed to Connect."

What now?
Screenshot_20180126-133257.png
Screenshot_20180126-133257.png (94.53 KiB) Viewed 22778 times
Solved! My MetroNet router apparently had problems. I switched back to my TP-Link and it's working fine.
ScaryWoody

Post by ScaryWoody »

I just went through the pain of attaching Amcrest cameras to my new 2.4/5ghz router. Here's some suggestions that I found out by trial and error.

On your router you have to separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. Use two different passwords. Using the same password puts it on the 5ghz and of course, these cameras are not compatible. I disabled the 5ghz on the router during the setup process to avoid confusion.

Factory reset the camera by holding down the button. Once it reboots, I used the app on my iphone. Use the Ethernet cable and Setup wireless on the app, follow the steps. Once you have it set, unplug the Ethernet cable. It should boot onto wireless. Assuming you get a solid green line, go to your router, find the unit and reserve the IP Address. That should do it. If the light blinks green it isn't on the network. Test it by unplugging power for a few seconds. It takes a couple of minutes to log back on.

Now, remember the app made you change the password when you logged on to the camera. I use the Windows program Amcrest Pro and you have to login to the camera directly with the new password. It won't just find it because you were forced to change the password from "admin".

I wasted a few hours doing trial and error. I hope this helps someone save some time.
James.S

Post by James.S »

ScaryWoody wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 pm I just went through the pain of attaching Amcrest cameras to my new 2.4/5ghz router. Here's some suggestions that I found out by trial and error.

On your router you have to separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. Use two different passwords. Using the same password puts it on the 5ghz and of course, these cameras are not compatible. I disabled the 5ghz on the router during the setup process to avoid confusion.

Factory reset the camera by holding down the button. Once it reboots, I used the app on my iphone. Use the Ethernet cable and Setup wireless on the app, follow the steps. Once you have it set, unplug the Ethernet cable. It should boot onto wireless. Assuming you get a solid green line, go to your router, find the unit and reserve the IP Address. That should do it. If the light blinks green it isn't on the network. Test it by unplugging power for a few seconds. It takes a couple of minutes to log back on.

Now, remember the app made you change the password when you logged on to the camera. I use the Windows program Amcrest Pro and you have to login to the camera directly with the new password. It won't just find it because you were forced to change the password from "admin".

I wasted a few hours doing trial and error. I hope this helps someone save some time.

Thank you for the great post, it will definitely be helpful to many users.