Can I share cameras on same Cat5e line to NVR?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Spiker

Can I share cameras on same Cat5e line to NVR?

Post by Spiker »

Question: Can I use a splitter to connect an additional security to an existing camera's Cat5e line, running to an NVR? I currently have six security cameras around the home (Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-28MM) running to an NVR model ST4000VX007 with eight ports and a 4TB server. I am installing a new Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW 5mg camera near to one of the existing cameras, facing another direction. It would save me tons of time and effort to use a splitter to share the existing cable data and POE but I'm not technically smart enough to know if 'sharing' is feasible or wise, especially going to an NVR. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks kindly for dumbing this down for me. Spiker
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Can I share cameras on same Cat5e line to NVR?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I personally don't know that NVR so I can't say that it works for your NVR. However I know that I can take 1 Cat5e cable and connect to 2 Amcrest/Dahua cameras to my POE ports on my Amcrest NVR's. So while I did make a Video in Sep 2021 that you can find here https://youtu.be/URS1q_w-nD0 there are splitters out there that you can buy. Just keep in mind that using them most times require parts that cost more then what it would cost to learn how to Crimp your own RJ45 connectors and buying the crimper and ends.

So what I mean. If you say where going to install a camera in area within the same distance of the cable you have then not much needed however let say that you were going to need to have 2 or 3 feet more. Then you could put a Jack and a cable extension from there.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that a Splitter they sell has some magic hardware that make it work there is no such thing..

Also worse case if there was power at the location you could also use a Switch, Running a POE switch at the location to power the 2 cameras. Then the 1 cable that was already running back could be fed to a local Switch at the NVR location and cameras could be setup under normal network install and could still in most cases just leave it to the NVR POE port and add using the normal POE Switch IP range. There are many different options and I have used most of them and work well. I have had 8+ cameras feed 1 Cat5e cable over 150" without much if any lag in the network. Personally keeping it to 4 cameras is best for high quality setup. Please keep in mind you can do more then that. I am just saying over distance, 1 cable where most times a Non POE nvr would be connected to a Switch with 1 cable sure however that 1 cable is coming from a Switch after the cameras come down 1 cable each camera or maybe 2. So distance and device count isn't the same as 8+ down 1 150" cable.. IF any of that makes sense..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Spiker

Re: Can I share cameras on same Cat5e line to NVR?

Post by Spiker »

Thank you very much for the responsive information and the video link. This encourages me to give it a go. The NVR was from Amcrest so presumable there won't be any compatibility issue. No, I won't be looking for magical hardware; I only need to split and extend the additional connection about a foot for the new camera to fill my coverage gap. Appreciate your assistance ...Spiker