Cameras go in and out....why?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
xkj1985x

Cameras go in and out....why?

Post by xkj1985x »

I cannot understand this for the life of me. Two of my four cameras work pretty much flawlessly...the other two are heaps of garbage that almost never work within the past two months or so and I do not understand why.

One of my backyard cameras has completed just gone dark with no picture at all....it shows that its recording and the time is still displaying so its recording nothing. The other camera sometimes goes black similar to Camera 4 but often times will just skitz out and do its own thing.

I've included a video below to show what it's doing. Anyone have any clue what is going on here? I've tried unplugging and plugging everything back in to no avail...not sure where to go with it from here.

https://vid.me/1TS2

Thanks in advance....would love it if I could get this damn thing working on every level.
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: Cameras go in and out....why?

Post by Melvin »

Hello ,

I guess you are using one of our DVR system with 4 cameras. How long are the cable runs for the two cameras with the issue? It is possible that these cameras are not getting enough power. Try covering the camera sensor near the lense and if it shows a red glow from the IR leds. This way, you can confirm if the cameras are getting power or not. If they are not, you can try replacing the power adapter or get a new adapter and use it for the two cameras.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

7TBronco

Post by 7TBronco »

I have the same problem with one camera. I have an eight camera system and only use 6. The cameras should therefore have plenty of power. The bad camera is on a 60' cable. Screen is black, shows the time and camera name. The system does not report a loss of video. What gives?
xkj1985x

Post by xkj1985x »

Melvin wrote:Hello ,

I guess you are using one of our DVR system with 4 cameras. How long are the cable runs for the two cameras with the issue? It is possible that these cameras are not getting enough power. Try covering the camera sensor near the lense and if it shows a red glow from the IR leds. This way, you can confirm if the cameras are getting power or not. If they are not, you can try replacing the power adapter or get a new adapter and use it for the two cameras.
The length is probably 75 and 100 feet, respectively. I guess my question is if the cameras aren't getting enough power, why aren't you shipping your devices with a stronger power outlet?

I already had to have Amcrest replace one of these for the one that I am using right now. I'll have to check the lights but it just feels as if these cameras are dying already when they shouldn't be. I've only had this system for two years and it seems like it works maybe 25% of the time.
Morgon

Post by Morgon »

PoE cameras are viable up to 320 feet, so I can't see it being a distance issue if you're using a max of 100ft.

Since you have not confirmed by your post, are you using a four-camera kit with an NVR?
If so, at the NVR end, swap network ports between a camera that works well and a camera that doesn't. If the same camera continues to go out, we can at least rule out the NVR (e.g. POE port issues) and look at the cable or the camera itself.