Cameras detect light changes as motion

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
linflas

Cameras detect light changes as motion

Post by linflas »

The cameras constantly trigger motion alarms, with the slightest change in light, shadows, sunlight when a cloud moves over, etc...BUT REALLY STINK AT ACTUAL MOTION, LIKE A HUMAN WALKING BY!!!!

Seriously, this is a horribly annoying problem with setting these up as outdoor cameras, I bought this to detect Humans, not to watch the sun move across the plane of view. I feel like I have tried every combination of threshold and sensitivity changes, been almost 4 weeks of tinkering. I expected some tinkering, but this thing is occupying alot of my time, and I am really starting to get ticked off.

You all need to get your Chinese (Dahua) makers and coders to figure out a way to have an indoor and outdoor mode for the cameras, and some form of software filtering for ambient light changes in your firmware. Yes, we know you buy a license to brand your product, and have to rely on them for all changes.
Amcrest 1080P HDCVI 8CH 4TB DVR Security Camera System w/ 8 x 2.1MP Bullet Cameras
^^^^
That is the system I own
linflas

Re: Cameras detect light changes as motion

Post by linflas »

Still no interest in commenting on this?
Amcrest 1080P HDCVI 8CH 4TB DVR Security Camera System w/ 8 x 2.1MP Bullet Cameras
^^^^
That is the system I own
Raheel

Post by Raheel »

Hey linflas,

Sorry to hear about the issues, do you have trees in the picture or shadows of trees? Is this real motion, or is it from video noise? If this is the problem, to be honest it's a hard thing to fix. Outdoor cameras, generally regardless of brand, tend to have false alarm issues when they are pointed in areas that produce shadows on cloudy days, or movement of trees or leaves in the wind.

The cameras can also sometimes have sharpening noise in low light, which can cause a lot of motion alerts in the mornings or evenings. You can try reducing the sharpening possibly. I'd recommend playing with the settings to see what combination of them minimizes the alerts (although I know you've been fiddling with this for a while).

The DVR does have motion sensitivity settings that may be too high. It's a balance of the sensitivity settings and masking out unwanted areas of constant movement, such as trees, bushes, shadows, leaves, etc. If this still doesn't help, I might recommend the following:

PIR/Motion Triggers - Use these to trigger your recordings instead of using the camera motion.

Third party software - Software like Blue Iris is quite advanced in terms of motion detection algorithms and does a very good job at zone detection, which is specific to what you are trying to do. I'll send you some more information in a PM about this software if you'd like to try it out to see how it works.

We definitely are partnered with Dahua on these DVR's, and we do rely on them for updates to issues like this. That is why this feedback is critical to us. In order to make the product better, we have to listen to our customers, and in turn we do our best to push Dahua's R&D teams to assist us in fixing issues just like this over time. I've been consolidating a lot of feedback on our DVR and NVR products and adding to our issue list, which Dahua can go over in more detail. If you can send me some more information via [email protected] such as screenshots of your settings and motion detection video clips that were triggered, this can definitely help create a detailed case for more development into motion detection algorithms.
linflas

Post by linflas »

Thanks for the reply, I will try and get some stuff together as you requested, may be awhile before I do it though. I have had enough of futzing around with this system for the time being, just going to make do with the annoyances I have. Just plain tired of fighting with these things.
^^^^
That is the system I own
linflas

Post by linflas »

PIR/Motion Triggers?

Please elaborate, I cannot seem to find a setting in the Event-Detect area of the DVR for this.

I have the 8 channel HDCVI 1080p DVR, not sure if you are talking about this, and confusing the setup I have with a different product.
^^^^
That is the system I own
Justin_144

Post by Justin_144 »

Just found this thread through Google, but just wanted to chime in. I am having the same issues as the original poster. I have the Amcrest Tribrid system, and I purchased it so I could receive alerts when any motion is detected. I have set motion detection zones, tweaked the sensitivity and threshold values for about two weeks, and cannot get the camera to ONLY detect motion, and NOT light changes. Even a slow cloud passing by will trigger a motion alert, but moving my truck out a the driveway will not trigger it. Even the minor automatic exposure changes in the camera trigger motion, like when the aperture closes just a bit. The Amcrest technical support team is laughable with how little knowledge they have with the systems. Right now, I just have the motion alerts turned off, which was the total reason why I bought the cameras in the first place. I would like to not have to resort to buying new PIR sensors to trigger recordings, as that is what the cameras are designed to do. Also, I don't know if Amcrest has any PIR sensors that are made to work with the system, so it would be a weird work around. But I'll look into it I guess.
mrk

Post by mrk »

I have the same issue with IP2M-841B

I have the camera mounted in my garage. My garage light turns off 3min after the garage door as been open/close. The Motion Detection always record/snap/email when the light turns off.

This is very annoying as it is false detection that is wasting my time and storage.
straightshooter

Post by straightshooter »

If you go to the phone app and go to
ConfigurationCenter>MotionDetection>AdvancedConfig>

In AdvancedConfig, you should see one option for Sensitivity.
Pick the best estimate of your room's temperature.
Setting it to high temperature increases its sensitivity.
In the winter, your room could be a lot cooler than the default 80 degrees.

I had the same false notification issue and when I set it to the right temperature, all the false notifications dropped by more than 50%.
tonester

Post by tonester »

I posted the above concern in a different thread--Melvin explained that the motion detection works based on pixel change, so yes even turning off/on a light can trigger it. Yeah it can be a PITA when it comes to distinguishing between real and false alerts but after all, how many consumer security cameras in the same price range as the Amcrest do you know of that have true motion detection (i.e., non-pixel based) hardware built into them? I suppose a workaround for integrating true motion detection with the Amcrest would be to buy an external motion detection device that's compatible with the Amcrest's alarm terminal.
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

I see that a partially cloudy day, with the sun going in and out, will effect detection...Also long shadows,as sun reflected shadows will also trigger detection. Early sun rise and late sunset will increase false alarms. You can tune, time and regeon to discourage this detection. But I would rather have more detection then less detection., if it meant I would miss an intrusion that was not recorded because I de- sensitized the detection sensitivity too much
Bill