Camera selection

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
logiboy

Camera selection

Post by logiboy »

Hello all,

Was just hoping to get some advice on POE 8MP camera selection. I'm keen to try and keep the cost to $150 per camera or less.

I need at least 5 cameras, 3 for the sides and back, 2 for the front. I've also got the doorbell camera already on the way.

1) How do you decide if you need a dome or bullet?
2) Where would you use the motion detection feature? Wouldn't it cause a problem to use it at the front of the house with cars driving, and kids playing in the park directly opposite my house?
3) Any general recommendations?

Regards,
Paul
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Camera selection

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello Paul and Welcome to the forum

So there are some great Questions and the truth is there is no 1 size fits all kind of camera. That is where people go wrong.

So what you need to do is figure out a few things to help you make your choice.

So here are some things you need to work out.

2 cameras in the Front, What is the distance to the edge of your Property from the Camera placement area? What is it your trying to do with your cameras? Are you trying to just Detect, Observe, Recognize you want to be able to have Spot on ID?

Also don't get to lost in IR distance it don't or won't help much if the cameras placement is off and blocks the cameras ability give good light either IR or White light..

About Camera types. Personally Bullets are great and long lived, However if they are going to be placed low and you live in an area with high crime then you will want to go with a Turret style. Dome cameras are ok as long we you keep them cleaned or you have enough light around that your able to run 24/7 in color.. In an area like mine cleaning the lens of a Dome is a must every couple of months. The Turret and Bullets can go longer without much issue..

My Top choice would be 2599 or 2669-ai. There are some bullets that can work as long as you have a high enough area to install them. Only issue with that is you will really be left with observe and detect at the price point your asking about...

Also not sure why you have 5 cameras in mind, This leaves a strange layout of the cameras. What is important is that your entry points are covered, Say a camera on the back left facing the right center, it wouldn't be good to place the side camera at that point facing forward unless there was no access in the blind spot area. For me if only 5 cameras to cover my home, I would have 2 front facing center front, then on the side of the driveway I would have camera on front facing back, then on that back corner facing toward other corner and then back corner of side facing front of the house. Outside of placement like that there is to many areas that could leave an opening.. To help understand what I mean. 2 cameras on front both facing Center and where both cover front of home. Then say the Drive way is looking front front on your left, So the left camera side would be placed on the front side facing back, Then the back left facing right back with the Right side on the back of the side facing front. That is only way to cover with 5 cameras any other placement would cause Gaps of no coverage..

Motion Detection is able to be set in high traffic areas lets say you don't want to have motion of the street, Then you would setup your Motion grid to be in your front yard back to your home. Just keep in mind that motion can pick up shadows and things so you want to make sure not to set your grid to close to the road if the sun passes over the road way because the cars shadow can set off a motion alert..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
logiboy

Post by logiboy »

Thank you! That's a lot of information to take it, but it's great stuff.

I found https://calculator.ipvm.com/ to help me play out the layout. I think I understand what you mean, but just to confirm how many cameras would you typically need to cover an average 4 bedroom house? In my design using the calculator, it looks like I can use 5 camera's to cover everything and remove all the blind spots, plus the doorbell camera. Is this expected or would I normally need more?

I like the look of the 2669-ai, so thank you for the suggestion. I would only need two AMCPFB203W to mount these on vertical walls, the rest I can mount under the house eaves. All this with the doorbell camera and I think I'm golden.

Regards,
Paul
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well in general most homes I know of are not built in a way that 5 cameras would work. Like I said before in a Square only setup and nothing to obstruct the views on the side of the house 5 cameras could work.

Also keep in mind with Bullet cameras main reason they are no longer the real go to is because people have installed them low enough that people can remove them from the viewing point and some break them off.. So the Turret camera is like the Bullet in theory just not easy to get out of view.. Then main issue with this is limited area of placement and IR wash if not setup right. This will cause a non Smart IR camera to have WHITE OUT issue or a Smart IR camera to have a Black out issue. Having a good amount of light at night and not using IR or White Leds at night is best for a good picture.

Also keep in mind 2.8mm lens isn't a Easy placement when the camera is up high. Please look at the pictures below for better idea of what I mean. This camera is a 2mp I did cover the Road sign because it can be seen and if you look at the speed sign it also can be read. This is 354 feet from my camera. This camera is 2.7mm to 12mm so when zoomed in that is looking 12mm. Also in the zoomed out picture don't pay no attention to my Black Amcrest PTZ camera in a White Mount lol I don't try to make my cameras look pretty I want them to Function. I have the normal black mount just didn't work for my needs at this location lol..
To View these largest size in Win10 right click and view in new Tab
This at 2.7mm view
Screenshot (1148).png
Screenshot (1148).png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2504 times
This is zoomed into 12mm view and where I normally keep my cameras View
Screenshot (1147).png
Screenshot (1147).png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2504 times
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I know you were asking about 8mp cameras and I personally don't have any that are Zoom and the one I have isn't fair to show with the lenses I own because they are 7mm to 70mm and 5mm to 50mm manual Varifocal lenses and the cost of a 8mp lens it self is as costly or more then you want to spend for a camera..

So I did show a 3mp 2.8 static lens camera by Amcrest it is a IP3M-956EB camera. I also have next to it another camera that is 2.7mm to 12mm Motorized Varifocal with Auto focus 3mp camera. Now the truth is the Amcrest is just under 3mp and the Zoom camera is just over 3mp

I also for image of what is going on in Color I did also have a 4mp Box camera that is color at night, I normally don't have the White Leds on but I did turn them on for a Color Over View of the area.

And Pepe Le Pew had to stroll by as well.. Anyway I made a Video and it isn't listed so following this link will take you to the Video. https://youtu.be/Eqes6LD-7Nc
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Here is a Video of a 4k Turret camera on youtube and thought I would share the info so you can get a good idea of what it might look like if your home is something setup like theirs. 3:40 is where they start showing video of the camera if you don't want to watch the Unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkS3ug_RLI
Be Safe