Camera is recording to FTP continuously instead of motion only (IP3M-943)

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
bapples

Camera is recording to FTP continuously instead of motion only (IP3M-943)

Post by bapples »

My camera started recording continuously to my FTP site instead of just when motion triggered. I called Amcrest support and he did a Team View with me to find out why, but he could not figure it out. He said the Houston technical R&D Team would need to look at it. I thought I would post here and see if anyone else had any ideas since it is Saturday and they won't be there to call until Monday.

The schedule page is set to Motion and Alarm only, not General.
The Log page shows no motion or alarm triggers are going off.
The Storage -> Record Control -> Record Mode is set to Auto. When I set it to Off, the recordings stop, but trigger record does not work when set to Off either.
Storage -> Destination is set to Motion and Alarm only, Scheduled is unchecked.
Event -> Motion Detection is setup and I get email snapshots of any triggers, but recordings are still continuous.

I cannot figure this out. Why this thing won't only record motion triggers/alarms to FTP.

Update: when I swap the paths in Storage -> Destination from FTP to SD Card, the camera only records when an alarm or motion trigger occurs (not continuously). It's only when it is set to record to FTP does it record continuously. :(
stratotally

Re: Camera is recording to FTP continuously instead of motion only (IP3M-943)

Post by stratotally »

Bapples -

Thank GOD. I thought I was going mad. :shock:

I'm also having this issue. Every 10 seconds (according to the first two digits in the file). I even turned off motion sensing all the way down, and then off completely, and set my "general" scheduled to be 1 minute after midnight to 2 minutes after midnight. Nothing fixed it.

I actually found your post by searching for "Record Control" thinking that may have something to do with it. Setting it to manual does nothing. Setting it to OFF does NOT stop the FTP for me. So that is different?

I don't have my email setup to email me triggers. I also don't have general or alarm enabled on the storage for FTP, only Motion - and only for snapshots. It's like no matter what I do, if I have FTP enabled - it shoots me a new image with a time stamp of every 10 seconds from the last boot.

It's not just your camera model. I have an IPM-723 bullet, and it does the same freakin' thing. It's been driving me crazy due to how quickly it's filling up my FTP drive. I don't want continuous recording, only motion!

This isn't something new either - I tried to get this working over the summer and had the same issue. Back then though, my FTP server has a TB drive - and I setup cron jobs to remove the files after a few months time, but now that drive is dead :( and I'm using a much smaller drive for storage. I have been trying to figure this out, but I don't think it's anything we're doing wrong. It's got to be software. I did recently upgrade the firmware over the summer. I may try to kick it back to the earlier version to see if that resolves the issue?

Software Version 2.400.AC02.15.R, Build Date: 2017-07-31
WEB Version 3.2.1.422026
ONVIF Version 2.42

I really don't want to record to an SD card either. I want to throw those images up onto my FTP so that I can rclone them over to my google drive for safe keeping. It's crazy that you only posted this a few days ago! Please keep me posted?! I'm planning on calling them tomorrow night if the refresh to the earlier build doesn't work.
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

This is funny I found this thread. I want exactly what you have, but can't get it to work.

I do not want motion, but I want an image upload every 60 seconds. This works fine on some older cameras, but not working fine on the IP3M-943.

I am getting frustrated and might just return this camera.

So far Houston has not been of help.

First they told me yes, there is a bug in this firmware, it does not work. Now they are telling me it works, but wont tell me how or what firmware?

Overall, I am not impressed with the support.

I love the cameras, if they do what they are supposed to!
sllinke

Post by sllinke »

FWIW... I had the first poster's problem (continuous record to FTP, never used SD) with my IP4M-1028. I exported my config and did a System>Default Settings. Problem stopped. I imported my config, problem returned. Painstakingly I discovered that in Event>Abnormality>Network>Disconnected if you enable recording it will record continuously. I am WIFI only and evidently if the wired ethernet is not "connected" (why would it be) then it is a continuous event that continuously records. Disable the event and recording to see if you have the same problem... BTW, I have disabled both Abnormality events completely.
fsunaval

Post by fsunaval »

I have the IP8M-93B and also having the same issue.
I have the latest firmware for the above model.

FTP recording is continuous. Even though only motion detection has been setup, it is recording in 8 minute intervals continuously to FTP.
DavidIT

Post by DavidIT »

Me, too!
Have a Foscam 9816P camera.
I have mine set to alarm recording ONLY with motion detection. Destination is FTP on NAS.
I get motion alarms, OK, and I have the time set to a window of 07:00-23:00
I get snapshot pictures (not video) between these times, OK, BUT outside of this window, I also get 10 minute long video segments recorded to FTP running throughout the whole of the rest of the day.
Cant figure out whats doing that.
SO I am sticking an SDCard into the camera and setting the destination to that to see if that fixes it as suggested here.
Don't really want to use the SDCard, I would rather have it on my NAS, but I'll report back if it changes/fixes anything
DavidIT

Post by DavidIT »

So, on my Foscam 9816P camera I've set the camera to use Motion alarm recording ONLY - No scheduled recording.
Set the recording destination to SD Card. Great! Records snapshots fine to the SDCard. Real pain to get the pictures off the card for review - very slow....
BUT it still records video to the FTP server as 10 minute segments, and ONLY when the schedule for the motion alarm is not active!.
I use motion alarm only during daylight hours, due to the Infrared being useless at night, as its an indoor camera.
So now, I'm going to try disabling the FTP option in the settings. That should stop it!