camera goes offline constantly

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
mfd229

Re: camera goes offline constantly

Post by mfd229 »

Make sure you have a static IP address.
Robby72

Post by Robby72 »

My cameras was working before and then two camera's stop working. I asked the amcrest support and they were able to fix it back to working and then after 14 hrs. it stop working again(2). I am using NVR 4108 8 channel, and 5 4K 8 Megapixel ip Turret PoE outdoor camera, all wired with ethernet cable.
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

I have owned 2m wireless cameras for about 3 years, they’ve NEVER stayed online more that 2 weeks since I’ve owned them! I’ve worked with tech support since new and no resolution. After one of my cameras crapped out completely, they said basically, too bad.

These cameras are junk, I’m sorry that I bought them. I can’t trust them and they are totally unreliable since day 1. I’m constantly cycling power to bring them back. My camera crapped out day before yesterday, yesterday, and again today! My brother had some and so does his employer and they’ve been rock solid. Lucky me, I got the crap.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

When I got my first camera I had constant problems with it losing the connection to my router. I have my office, where the router is located, in the loft at my house and the camera was two floors down at ground level. I gave up on wi-fi and installed ethernet and haven't had any problems since then (at least with lost connections). When I bought the last two cameras, I didn't bother even trying wi-fi because I can do without the hassle :) .

Wi-fi is like "the little girl with a little curl right in the middle of her forehead". Sometimes it's perfect and sometimes it's horrible. It is unpredictable and varies so much from one site to another depending on a whole host of factors. I guess for most people it works fine but some of us tell a different story.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

Update: my brother switched to RING cameras so he gave me his 2M wifi camera. This camera has worked flawlessly for years at his house. I installed it at my house, 3 days later it went offline! Same symptoms, cycle power and it comes back!

This tells me that the issue has to be with my network. I currently have 3 Amcrest 2M cameras online, each of them has gone offline multiple times. My signal strength seems good, I'm using static IPs on every camera. I don't get it! I've got each camera set to try and restart itself if it goes offline. Sometimes they come back, half of the time they don't.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly it is going to be an issue for any Wifi camera that is used in your area if you have issues it might be that there is a lot of Traffic in your area that is fighting for Ch rights to the Wifi air... Only have 1 camera right now on Wifi and thre will be days that I have no issues then there will be days that it will go on an off 40 times in a day Then there are the days that I have to go Pull power from the camera and let it restart because it just don't want to come back on line... However yesterday was one of them days... I had my son pull power and that wasn't the issue this time it crashed my router it is on.. Once I reset that by pulling the POE line for the Router camera came online and has been since... I have around 40 routers in my area I can see when I use my Enterprise router to scope out the area... If I set for long range that goes up right now I have it set for .6 of a mile and it can see 40 different routers this is also NVR's in the area that have built in wifi and wifi printers as well... Night time after 10 or so it seems to work well. days after school time is when things start to get funny for my system...
Be Safe.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

it's not easy to convince every neighbor to limit their channels to either 1, 6, or 11. took me over 3-1/2 years to convince my neighbors to move their channels to either 1, 6, or 11 to mitigate 802.11 collisions. i consider myself very fortunate they're convinced their home wireless networks are more stable after testing my recommendation.
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

Update 2: I'm still having issues with the cameras dropping out on occasion. One thing that I started doing was logging onto my router and looking at signal strength for these static IP addresses. That's where I discovered that my backyard camera, although is only 20' from the router, is a -95db. That tells me that on a good day, the camera is on the edge of dropping out.

In the past I used a cell phone to compare signals, and that signal strength was fine. I figured the phone is connected to WIFI, shouldn't be much different with the camera signal. Well, just because the cell phone signal is good doesn't mean that the WIFI signal is good. I realize that the cell phone uses the tower, but I am connected to the WIFI too.

The only thing between my router and the camera antenna is a glass sliding door, 20', and the decking material of my back deck, the camera is mounted under it. I think I'll try to install an extension cable and raise my antenna up from under the deck. That gives me a 20' line of site signal.

I've also been using software called Tacit to view my cameras. It works great when it works. I worked for the longest time, then all of a sudden it works for a few days and doesn't work for the next few. I like it because the images come up quicker than in Amcrest Pro.
jcbhltz

Post by jcbhltz »

happens all the time to me - cameras are garbage.
jcbhltz

Post by jcbhltz »

Also I will note the suggestions posted here by others for fixed WiFi channels, moving closer to the access point or using 2.4/5Ghz are not solutions.

I've tried this camera with 4 different access points and it still resets every couple hours. Even if the network was dropped, why is the camera unable to reconnect? It sits in an offline state until it is power cycled.