ash22-W CAMERAS and server access?????????

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
doris

ash22-W CAMERAS and server access?????????

Post by doris »

I noticed that on my PC, ONLY when starting ipconfig or surveillance pro programs, it automatically reboots my modem. The pc is connected via ethernet. Tech support doesn't understand how to troubleshoot as they have to access my computer, which I will not allow another foreign company to do. I have explained if you start the programs and it reboots my modem, I lost VOIP phone connection. The tech support agent said I'm sorry I can't help you then..(that tells me they can't do their job without playing around on my PC which would be a waste of time anyway). I have sent files from within the programs for troubleshooting via email and no one responds.

I am tech savy. Amcrest does not know why these programs consistantly reboot my modem. I have tested over and over and it is these two programs.

I have these programs on an IPAD. I have noticed even though connected wirelessly, when starting the programs, it flashed "cannot connect to server". that tells me that another entity is accessing these cameras and they are not private.

Once my modem is back up on PC I can access the cameras. (There was a period of outage July where I could not connect my cameras....now i know they were having server problems!!!!!!!!!) No one should have access to you surveillance cameras without your permission.
doris

Re: ash22-W CAMERAS and server access?????????

Post by doris »

I guess no one has the answer or doesn't care their cameras are being connected to external server and being watched?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well no that isn't the issue. Issue is that there is no one watching your camera. They need to know the SN and the Password for your device to be able to watch. Server? Yeah it is a Smart Home Device and that means it connects to a Server to be able to access it from outside of your home while you are away. Again NO ONE can watch your Device if you change your password from Factory Default and with Smart Home devices that is first thing then do when you setup them up..
About Amcrest being able to Reboot your Device from their location? Well this can be done. Think about it like this. When you contact your ISP and you are having some issues they will look up your account and at a point they will say We will reset your Router (Modem) for you. In most cases not all with ISP but most cases they don't know the password to your router (Modem) so they are not signing in they are just sending a command that only the ISP knows to reboot your modem. So in that same case Amcrest don't know your password but once you give them the Devices SN they can send a Server side command that will reboot your camera..

No one can access your camera with out you giving them your SN, and Password. OR with a IP camera with SN, Password, or IP Address if Directly connected to the Internet with your ISP address..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Or the network itself is already compromised from the inside.

I have no idea how any outside entity aside from the service provider, and especially a piece of consumer software, could randomly (or otherwise) initiate a reboot command to a cable modem simply by being launched on a user device..., unless somehow configured to do so intentionally by the actual user or someone who has infiltrated the user's system thereby initiating the activity from within the system itself on a level just slightly more 'tech savvy' than the user his/herself.

That said, Amcrest Cloud has been known to do some pretty weird things if it happens to be in the mix. If it is, shut it down and see if ASP or IP Config Tool still reboots the modem simply by being launched.

But if there is also a mal-configured home network server in the mix, all bets are off for anything being discussed here.
doris

Post by doris »

The device is on a PC not a smart phone that I'm having issues with...the program consistantly reboots my modem when starting up either IPCONFIG or surveillance pro. That is how I found out it is the software doing it. It makes me think the software is rebooting the network to change DNS.. or something similar. I don't know how to remove cloud from either ipconfig program or surveillance pro. I tried using IP address if the cameras in browser as URL, which should work, but it doesn't. I have the IP addys for all three cameras and tried on browser it won't work as amcrest docs said. AND if the to PC progams have my serial number and or IP and password, surley a reboot could send that info to wherever. This just started happening a few months ago... and as mentioned on apple Ipad, I get a flash before connecting, "cannot connect to server".
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Do you have UPnP wide open on the network where the software could possibly be generating a self-preservation security action in the modem to dismiss or divert a bunch of unwanted requests for certain port access? Or a firewall that may be reacting similarly to the software?

What type of modem are we talking about and what else is between the PC and the connection to the modem -- presumably an ethernet connection?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is an ASH product and don't have a WebUI in it so No if you try to connect to the cameras Port 80 it will fail because there is no server in the since of a IP Security Camera..

About Cannot connect to Server can be any number of things. I from time to time get this myself..
Be Safe.
doris

Post by doris »

UPnP I don't konw..it's a dsl centurylink Zyzel C1100Z modem router and yes connected by ethernet. Firewall I can't disable but have it on the lowest setting. As mentioned, this never happened until a few months ago. I called centurylink and asked them if they were doing something on their end to cause the reboots and no. That is when I suspected the amcrest programs and kept starting them..Interesting after the modem reboots, the programs work. It's after I reboot the PC it starts all over again.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Don't know sounds odd to me. Only thing I can think of is that your Camera and your Computer are using the same IP or have a Conflict with the IP anyway and by trying to access it over ASP or what ever might have been the router detecting the issue and having to Reboot to cause a new IP Registration to start. From your last post stating that it works fine until you reboot your PC issues start again. There has to be some type of Network Assignment from your Computer to your Router. On a Reboot of the computer the router makes an adjustment that might seem like it is seemless however you notice when you try to access the camera. Outside of that only thing I could think of is PORT closing caused by the computer to Modem talk, then router needs to reboot to open port of router that it found it needs for the Camera..

Interesting issue for sure..
Be Safe.
doris

Post by doris »

I don't think the computer and cameras are using the same IP due to the fact I use Advanced IP scanner to see what IP addresses are being used and what they are connected to. I have the three IP address for my cameras and I don't see a conflict there.

You have brought up some interesting suggestions, I don't know where to start tracking this down. To me, as mentioned on the Ipad when I saw that can't connect to server, got me thinking about what was happening on the PC end.