ASH21-B - View On other than Phone App

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: ASH21-B - View On other than Phone App

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting, That might explain why mine was always working in the past. When I would remove the cable I wasn't removing it from the camera only from my Switch.. Now this gives me something to go mess with again lol.. The last testing I was doing I had moved the camera to different switch and wasn't in front of the switch so I started to only take out the Cat cable from the camera not the switch and mine also stopped working.. Where all my testing before I was just removing the cable from my switch... I had given up on this whole issue as it seemed to me to be working some time in the last 10 resets and the last 3 or 4 times I couldn't get it to work was removing cord from camera grrrr...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
hobbesVT

Post by hobbesVT »

Correction - kind of: The option to just plug in an ethernet connector alone doesn't hold through a reboot/restart of the camera I just found out.
So whenever your network needs to be reset, you need to get it hooked up to a router/switch per ethernet again to get the ports open for the wireless adapter. So it needs this handshake via ethernet just once after a reboot. Not really a solution if your cameras are not in reach.
This clearly must be a software bug and it's hard to believe that this hasn't be fixed.
I guess this camera goes back where it came from while the return window is still open for me.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Not sure All I know is after reading this I thought for sure mine was going to start working again and no it didn't do anything out side the last few resets before.. I am not sure.. To be fair there is no reason that someone needs to setup to a Network cable if they are going to use it in Wifi just setup in Wifi then don't make a connection to it over Ethernet

In the setup it clearly states that if setting up in Ethernet that it is only going to work in that mode. While this isn't 100% true when it comes to the APP because it will still come up in the app after the fact Just things that are outside the app no longer work..

Solution is to Setup the camera in Wifi and it will work in Wifi.. Even after a Reboot. This camera is so fast and easy to setup even if someone made mistake to change location with a Ethernet cable connection and wanted to work over Wifi again just reset using only Wifi problem solved..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
einsibjani

Post by einsibjani »

I'm in the same boat, but I think I found a solution to one factor of the problem, which might be affecting others.

I setup a new camera yesterday, wifi only. I've never connected an ethernet cable to it.

At home I have three networks:

192.168.1.0/24 - My default network
192.168.2.0/24 - Restricted network for IoT devices (sensors, cameras etc.)
192.168.3.0/24 - VPN network

When I setup the camera I was delighted to see that nmap and ffprobe from my laptop worked and I saw port 554 open and ffprobe showed information about the stream.

But when I tried to add the camera to Frigate NVR it couldn't connect to the camera. After a lot of debugging I realised that my laptop was connected to the VPN network (192.168.3.0/24) while the camera is on the restricted network and Frigate is on the default network.
So I could connect to the camera from the VPN network but not the default network. Confirmed this by moving my laptop to the default network and then I could no longer connect to the camera.

After some more debugging I think the reason is that the ethernet port on the camera has (by default) the IP address 192.168.1.108. It looks to me that even though the ethernet port doesn't have a link, the camera still thinks it has a network interface on the 192.168.1.0/24 network and tries to send responses on that interface.

Tonight I will connect an ethernet cable to it and try giving it a static dummy IP address (169.254.0.0/16) either from DHCP or with the app if I can. I know I can't change the IP address of the wired interface now if the port isn't connected.
einsibjani

Post by einsibjani »

I got my two cameras working on wifi. I ended up doing NAT on the router from my default and VPN networks to the cameras since I couldn't find a way to set a static IP address on the ethernet interface on the cameras.
That way, all requests to the cameras on the IoT network look like they're coming from the router on the same network and it doesn't matter if the cameras have interfaces on the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

Both cameras are now connected to Frigate NVR and working after power cycle. I still would not recommend these cameras for anything other than using with the app, but it least I got them working and they're not a total loss.
jerryjay

Post by jerryjay »

bromangcameraface wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm I got this resolved!!

I had the same issue where on Wifi no ports were open through a nmap scan. Google search lead me to this thread

Here's what I did to fix (combining information from several different sites)

optional) setup DHCP reservation on your router/firewall so you know what IP camera will come online with
1) update to the latest firmware, I'm on 2.680.00LR000.2.R.200410
2) delete your existing camera on the AmcrestSmart app (most important step)
3) hold down the reset button until the light blinks green (~45 seconds for me)
4) do not touch the Ethernet port (superglue it for all I care, just don't have Ethernet plugged in, at all)
5) go back into the AmcrestSmart app and set the camera up using the Wifi setup option (this took me 2x resets until my phone would connect to the temporary WiFi network that Amcrest creates)
6) now you will be able to connect to RTSP streams using the below, nmap shows ports open again-- modify for your password and IP address (the extra stuff after the IP address is a must to connect to the camera)

rtsp://admin:[email protected]/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&authbasic=64

I'm finally running this cheap $30 camera through my homebridge server & HomeKit
@bromangcameraface

I know this is an old post, but you say you were able to get it into HomeKit, but can I ask how? I tried the tsp address and that opened it in VLC, but I can't seem to get it from there. I am new to scrypted, and trying to get it in there with no luck.
carteriii

Post by carteriii »

I just bought a "new" ASH21-B and had this exact problem, that the ports were not open when running WiFi only. I did factory resets and configured it with the app several times, but still the ports were not open. I was explicitly testing port 554 for RTSP, and I checked port 37777 for the TCP connection. The lack of an open port 37777 also prevented the Amcrest Config Tool from connecting/logging in over WiFi, since it requires port 37777.

The firmware that I initially received started out with 2.680.xxxxxx, and the app said it was the latest firmware. HOWEVER, I checked the Amcrest website and there was a "new" 2.680.xxxxxx" version with a more recent date. I used the ethernet connection to open port 37777, used the Amcrest Config Tool, upgraded the firmware, and now ports 554 and 37777 are open through WiFi even after rebooting!!!!

For completeness, the original version of firmware I had was 2.680.00LR000.2.R.191106. Note the "191106" at the end which stands for November 6, 2019. The new firmware is 2.680.00AC003.0.R.220520. Note the "220520" on that stands for May 20, 2022. I'm only guessing that the 2.680 being the same only indicates no new features, but the new version clearly has some fixes.

So even if you buy a "new" camera, you might have very old firmware which needs to be updated, and can only be updated over an ethernet connection since the app effectively lies and says you have the latest firmware. I consider this a bug in the app that it is probably only looking at the 2.680 and should instead be looking at the entire version number with the date.
BobTheDroid

Post by BobTheDroid »

The default user name and password are admin/admin. For ASH21, you must use the Amcrest Home app, to set it up. There's also a reset on the camera if you mess up the password. Good luck! ;)