Any way to adjust key frame rates?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
twehrle

Any way to adjust key frame rates?

Post by twehrle »

Is there any way to adjust the key frame rates? For reference, key frames are frames of video that are complete frames, that do not rely on differences from previous frames. They essentially act as a full refresh, for subsequent frames to rely on for just sending differences within frames. If an application consuming the feed, wants to enable direct-to-disk recording, that key frame is critical, because it essentially cannot start the recording until the next key frame. The key frame rate then becomes very important.

On my IP2M-841 cameras, I am only seeing key frames around every 10 seconds. I am wondering if encode mode, smart codec, FPS, bit rate type, quality or max bit rate, can have any effect on this?

Thank You
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Any way to adjust key frame rates?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well FPS has better frame rate the higher you go sadly it don't work that way to well... Then there is the Frame Interval that normally is double the FPS however it can be adjusted. Be it known the messing with these numbers can make things worse. When all else fails there is always the default you can return too... Also what FW are you using... While I don't want to say bypass the current one for the next if you need the gmail solution. However I am sorry things in the new FW that is removed from 2.520 from 2017 I would live without gmail...

So between the FPS bit rate and Frame Interval is where you can pickup more data. With that also mean slower network or I guess Higher Traffic of network...

I tested this out sometime ago with 2 841's on my CVI system that has 1tb HDD. 3 days I was able to fill the HDD with just the 2 841's being recorded... Looking over the data there was large records and when someone or something came into the scene they were even larger... FTP data on a 5 min record for 1 camera was almost 4 times the size as normal... I don't remember the numbers as I didn't document any of the test.. I was just doing it for my own reasons. Since then i have moved my FPS down to 25 and my Frame Interval I did at one time raise however it is back to 50... Seem stable and good quality with no drop outs... Even them 2 841 and 2 720p CVI camera get 4 days on the 1tb drive before I get a 20% warning that drive my wife insane lol...
Be Safe.