AMDV7204-4B Hacked

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
tpn1997

AMDV7204-4B Hacked

Post by tpn1997 »

I tried to search for info on this forum, but didn't come across info that could help - yet. It looks like my AMDV7204-4B has been hacked. It had been a couple weeks since I checked the mobile app and when I checked it today, none of my phones would connect to the cameras. I came home to access the DVR and found that each of the camera names had been changed to "HACKED 1-4"!! I also noticed the user name was changed to HACKED. I have never bothered to change the names of the cameras, so I know something is up. I also had previously changed my password from the default.

Would appreciate any guidance on what is best approach to solving this. I tried to look for info on a factory reset, but didn't come up with anything for AMDV7204-4B.
tpn1997

Re: AMDV7204-4B Hacked

Post by tpn1997 »

I found out how to factory reset my DVR version and have updated the latest firmware. Here's a screenshot of what happened to my system. As you can see, all camera names changed to "HACKED 1-4" all with black screens. I've updated all passwords, so hopefully this won't happen again.
IMG_6914.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 4129 times
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello tpn1997 ,

We recommend keeping the system always updated with the latest firmware. Update firmware and do a factory reset ;like you did and create a strong password for the system is what is recommended.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

bennor

Post by bennor »

Going to bump this old thread. Same happened to a family member's AMDV7204 system. Lost remote access and once access gained camera names changed to hacked like indicated above by another person. Reset the system and loaded the latest (from 2015) AMDV7204 firmware.

I do LOL at the suggestion to keep the system updated with the latest firmware. Apparently Amcrest doesn't have any later firmware for the AMDV7204 than firmware from 2015. To make things worse the "latest firmware" introduces a number of additional problems at least on the AMDV7204 I installed it on. Like motion detection not working properly, alert email date/time wrong, motion image capture incorrect image size/type, etc.

So one is forced to decide if they want to downgrade the firmware to fix certain issues while opening up potential security vulnerabilities and having their system hacked again because glaring problems with the "latest firmware" haven't been fixed in more than two years. :-/
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Now I am glad I kept mine in the Garage connected to the 4 CVI Cameras. I just a couple of days ago connected it to my 1.3mp IP camera after doing a Firmware Update. Now I will have to re do my DVR's on my network to stand behind a firewall as I don't need this issue...

However if I remember right I think there is something about Keeping the DVR's off the Internet. Don't Open PORTS by DMZ or Port Forwarding... Turn off P2P. If you use any of them it is at your OWN RISK.....

People that buy these from Ebay or other areas that are USED even if it is NEW/ Other. First thing that should be done before ever connecting it to the NETWORK (Internet) is Restore Factory. HDD Format, Update Firmware. Install NEW Admin Name and Password. IF there is a USER account Check it and make sure they didn't use it as a Backdoor. Most times people might think only way in to system is over Admin and with the ability to give a USER ADMIN aka GOD Rights then need to make sure to Remove all rights by user account. Last thing a person wants to do is have the feeling what makes them feel secure be taken away by some Jerk that has nothing better to do then upset someones life.

Be Safe Happy Secure Time....
James
Be Safe.