Amcrest wifi doorbell not working with mechanical chime

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
DarkKaplah

Amcrest wifi doorbell not working with mechanical chime

Post by DarkKaplah »

So I followed both the included instructions and used the video to double check my work. The outdoor unit is working. It's hooked to WiFi and it's sending notifications to my phone's. My existing 1960's mechanical chime is not ringing on a button press.

The chime kit is hooked up to trans and front. I have set up the app to link mechanical chime. However with no feedback from either the app or the chime kit I can't isolate what the issue is. I'm also unclear of what the chime kit is. Is it a power regulator for the doorbell? Some form of remote relay to ring the bell?

Now the existing bell setup was installed with the house. It was working with the basic mechanical button, and then a skybell 2.0 which this is replacing. While the outdoor unit works a league better than the skybell, I really need the indoor chime to ring.

What am I missing here?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest wifi doorbell not working with mechanical chime

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So a few things that it could be... One that the power that is driving the Camera isn't enough and only reason that the camera is working is because it is taking all the power from the transformer when you press the button it causes a SHORT if you will to cause the path to go from the transformer to your bell as it would with normal button...

Please make sure that the Chime KIT is used with the Camera as stated in the directions as it is for the lack of better way to try and have others under stand it is a Shock Absorber for the power of the camera to stay stable to so the Power transformer don't over power the unit and kill it...

If it was mine and I had this issue I would use one of my Multi Meters and test the Doorbell unit for voltage when the button is pressed...

What size Transformer are you using.. Most houses are using a 24vac with 10va and sadly this isn't going to be enough that only gives less then .450ma and the camera I am going to guess is going to need at least 1.5 to 2amps seeing they are saying a 16vac 30va transformer is good and that is 1.8 amps around there... Sorry did the math and it is 1.875amps so yeah confirm what your transformer is. Test the Volts at the Doorbell and while it does offer a pass though for the camera to the doorbell it could be that the Transformer has been pulled down to much for the bell to take the power... Say your using a 16vac 20va unit when the power to the camera is taken and full power used it might pull the transformer down to 14vac so when you press the button there is not enough power to make your doorbell ring because it is looking for a min xyz volts where the camera has large Super Caps to keep the power for a good amount of time when power is removed (because of the button push *No power to camera*) So then when the button is released the power can surge back in and that chime box helps keep the surge down...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

hi @DarkKaplah and welcome to the forum. try linking it as a digital chime. i have a mechanical chime too but i have to link it as a digital chime in order to make the chime work.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I had similar problem, spent hours on it and finally had success.
When choosing the "Mechanical Chime" as the Chime Type I was not saving it, so the device did not acknowledge it as completely set up.

On the ap, go to Settings --->Device Information--->Amcrest Chimes --->Link digital/Mechanical Chime---->Click on either "digital Chime" or "Mechanical Chime" NOW THIS IS THE PART I ORIGINALLY MISSED: go to the top blue strip on the ap. There is a circle with a check in it. Click it and it with save whatever chime you have chosen.

It now rings both outside with the doorbell and inside with the chime kit.

Hope it works for you!
cggreen

Post by cggreen »

My fix was removing the chime kit and it worked just fine
ewalker

Post by ewalker »

I installed my AD410 today and had to remove the chime kit in the same way that @cggreen did. I have a 10va 16v Nutone transformer that is operating within it's specifications. The mechanical chime worked with my previous Ring Pro doorbell with it's chime kit but not with the Amcrest chime kit. Luckily, I have no buzzing and the doorbell works perfectly now.
marktuttle

Post by marktuttle »

is it safe to use the doorbell without the chime kit? i had a similar experience - Nutone mechanical chime was not working with chime kit hooked up. When chime kit is disconnected, the mechanical chime works fine and there is otherwise no malfunction apparent.