Amcrest ProHD Saves files as dav_

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jeremy2811

Amcrest ProHD Saves files as dav_

Post by jeremy2811 »

Hi All

I've been having issue with my ProHD. The system has been saving footage as .dav_ with the dash at the end. These files can not be played with Smart Player software not be converted. The only way to work around is to manually delete that dash on each file.

Is there any setting or anything I could do in regards to this?

Thank you.
DAV.png
DAV.png (8.3 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
twenerz

Re: Amcrest ProHD Saves files as dav_

Post by twenerz »

I too am having the problem. My camera is at a location several hundred miles away and is using FTP to send motion activated files to a NAS. All works perfectly with this one issue. Technical support was initially unable to help me and promised a call back within 24 hours. I got the call back a little more than that, however, the answer was to 1. ensure you have the latest firmware (which I do), or 2. reset the camera, redo all the settings and see if it works. I will try this when I get back to the location the camera is located, but I am not thrilled with having to do all the programming over again.....

I dont understand why they export to this silly format only and dont give the change to send it to a more compact mp4 or other more standard format. Camera is working find and picture is great given the price point of the device....concerns me, however, that you did not get a reply from Amcrest to this question in over a month....If you figured out a fix, can you please advise...thanks
Craig

Post by Craig »

Convert the files to .mp4. Mac users can download SmartConverter from the App Store for free.
twenerz

Post by twenerz »

I am primarily a windows user, but have access to a Mac if need be. Do you know if it will convert if the file extension has the underscore after .dav (.dav_) or will I have to rename each and every single file (which is a royal pain since I do not know how to do this other than a single file at a time...)

Thanks for the help
jeremy2811

Post by jeremy2811 »

I've finished my round of contact with Amcrest and they are unable to fix this as well so they asked me to return and they sent me a new camera. I just received the new one today and installed it. Yet the problem still occurs. I have no idea what else I could do now. I'll keep in touch with the tech support to see how far they can help me with this now.
I've Googled the issue and it seems to be the problem of motion detection and FTP destination, in which files are created then uploaded without being renamed (supposedly automatically by the system).

Hopefully things will turn out well somehow.
twenerz

Post by twenerz »

Thank you for the update and please keep this thread updated if you make any progress. I really like the camera, overall, but this is just silly. I am a little bothered by the fact that tech support did not reply to your question as well. Additionally, I don't understand why they don't export in a more standard format (mp4, mkv) AND why they do not name each file something that makes sense (maybe it does and I just haven't figured it out)...I will update if I end up discovering a solution...good luck
TomNow

Post by TomNow »

Agreed, any news on this? Is there any dev work going on to export to mkv files rather than dav? I cannot play dav files with the smartclient player or any player for that matter... This is such a hassle for a premium camera, makes me want to order a different product because this is so difficult to use with a Win10 device.
nicholso67

Post by nicholso67 »

Same issue. Writing to FTP on a MacMini (with SSD drive). About 20% of the files have this dav_ problem. The video is truncated - the animal is still in frame and moving when the video ends unexpectedly.

I tried Smart Converter from Mac App Store, but one of dav_ clip fails with this error message "Operation can not be completed READ error (1)"

Could be some transport failure between camera and storage, or perhaps camera reset. Hard to say :(
navyav8er

Post by navyav8er »

nicholso67 wrote:Same issue. Writing to FTP on a MacMini (with SSD drive).
Nicholso67, how did you set up the mac mini to be an FTP storage? I'm trying to figure out how to do this either with an old MacBook or to a drive on my Airport Extreme Base Station.

Thanks,
Scott
ClarksonCote

Post by ClarksonCote »

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? I continue to live with this, many of my files (though not all) end up being dav_. I suppose I could write a script on my NAS to just rename the files, but it would be nice to just have it work properly.