Amcrest ip2m-858 Works Flawlessly and Then Dies at Exactly 2pm MT

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
sliderbot

Amcrest ip2m-858 Works Flawlessly and Then Dies at Exactly 2pm MT

Post by sliderbot »

My Amcrest ip2m-858 has worked well for some time but then unexpectedly dies at the top of the hour. I have changed AC adapters and have tried resetting it, but it still didn't allow me to communicate with it through a router/LAN. If it weren't for the fact that it stopped working at the top of the hour, I would assume it just failed. However, because of this I am wondering if there is a firmware issue or some self check that precipitated the failure. In addition, this model no longer is available and the replacement models like it (or with more MP) are not WiFi.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest ip2m-858 Works Flawlessly and Then Dies at Exactly 2pm MT

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum

Hate to say there is no magic when it comes to the Time a camera chooses to fail. 858 I have one from 2019 that is also dead for no known good reason. I thought maybe it was one of a couple of known issues that can go wrong with IP cameras. I was wrong. So at this time I have a dead 858.. What I do know is that it isn't the Circuits in the housing it self. I know this because I have used that housing with a 853 that I also own and the camera housing with the 853 module works as a 853 would.. (I was trying to turn my 853 into a Wifi camera lol. Nope.)

The problem with the 858, and others like it, Is they are kind of a Complex system that is housed inside of another system. If you had it connected VIA Ethernet I would say that I think it could be XYZ however that part will not stop a Wifi camera from working.. (To be honest I have a Wifi camera that I took the part from my 841 that I only use Wifi and fixed another camera that had the bad part the 841 is still working on WIFI) So that wouldn't be the issue if you are or have been only using it as a Wifi camera..

Have you tried it on Ethernet? Are you sure it isn't just missing Wifi info?
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
sliderbot

Post by sliderbot »

Yes, I did hook up the Ethernet through a separate router I have and didn’t see any life. It’s just odd how it times it’s failure.

Sad now that Amcrest doesn’t even seem to have a replacement WiFi camera of similar specifications. They are all PoE.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Two ways to connect a new Amcrest PTZ camera without using an ethernet cable from camera to router:

1.  Powerline Adapters  to provide a wired connection between the camera and router using the house AC wiring.

2.  WIFI Extender that has an ethernet port to provide WIFI capability to the camera ethernet port.
sliderbot

Post by sliderbot »

Thanks Jack. I have been looking at those options but definitely not as clean.