Amcrest IP2M-841, exterior super sticky from sun exposure??

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
DixieNormous

Amcrest IP2M-841, exterior super sticky from sun exposure??

Post by DixieNormous »

Amcrest IP2M-841, I've had one of these indoors for a few years now, keeping tabs on a south-facing window.

It's still quite functional, but the exterior has become overall very sticky. If any other GenX folks lurk here, it's kind of like how grandpa's "wiggly" fishing lures made of flexible plastic material has over many years started to bond with the tackle box they're stored in.

Is there any way, easy or otherwise, to for lack of a better term "cleanse" the surface to not be so freakin' sticky?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest IP2M-841, exterior super sticky from sun exposure??

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Oddly I have a few Black ones and I only have 1 so far that has turned into a mess. Not sure why it just is. So I moved it to an area that I don't have to see or touch it. As long as it still does its job I am fine with where it is.

I tried a few good ways of cleaning it and always seems to make it worse. I have been worried about it not moving anymore, however it seems not to mind the other moving parts. Anything else that touches it is no fun lol..

If you have somewhere that it can be moved and not have to be touched or seen I think is a good way to go.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
DixieNormous

Post by DixieNormous »

Thanks! Yeah I can definitely just basically set it and forget it somewhere and not have to touch it regularly so that sounds fine. No big deal and it doesn't affect the camera's functionality, just icky and sticky.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

All sorts of YouTube videos "how to remove sticky plastic". Baking soda, isopropy Alcohol (>95%), Lacquer Thinner and Acetone along with a lint-free microfiber cloth and small brush were all used, including on cameras.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

While I didn't look at any of the Videos I used more then my share of the same types and even some others and it only made it worse. Tried 71% up to 99% Alcohol, baking soda, even tried corn meal, starch and last but not least Denatured Alcohol. After all the fail attempts to clean and with the results that seems to just be worse then it was before. I gave up and now the camera is in use in an area I don't see and don't have to worry about others seeing lol.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe