Amcrest DVR and IP camera motion detection not working

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
55Trucker

Amcrest DVR and IP camera motion detection not working

Post by 55Trucker »

I have Amcrest DVR AMDV5108-I3 with the latest firmware (V4.001.00AC001.0.R, Build Date: 2023-03-30). This DVR can support 8 analog cameras and 2 IP cameras. The DVR correctly detects motion on channels 1-8 and sends me an email notification/alert when there is motion.

The IP camera I have is Foscam V5P. It is successfully connected to this DVR as channel 9 (I designated channels 9-16 as IP in the DVR channel list). When I log into the DVR either with a local monitor or with the Amcrest app, I watch the live view of channel 9.

Right now I have an Amcrest analog camera on channel 1, and the Foscam V5P on channel 9, sitting right next to each other on my desk pointing in the same direction. When I move in front of them, the DVR sends me an email alert that there is motion on channel 1. I do not get an email alert for channel 9 from the DVR, however. (I do get a motion alert from the Foscam app).

My question is, does this Amcrest DVR not support motion detection for IP cameras, or just not from non-Amcrest IP cameras? I triple checked the setting, motion detection is enabled on the DVR for every channel.

I submitted a problem email to Amcrest support, and they told me to contact Foscam support. This doesn't make any sense to me, because it is the DVR that should be detecting motion on all of the channels, not just the analog ones, right? The camera can detect motion on its own and alert its app, but the DVR should be independently analyzing the IP camera's video stream. Thank you for any help that you can provide.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest DVR and IP camera motion detection not working

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is a hybrid DVR once you enable the IP portion of it all that you thought you know about how a DVR works is over.

When it comes to IP cameras the Recorder works with the camera for alerts. In my fleet of cameras I have a few cameras foscam cameras one of them will not trigger motion on my NVR but as you said works on it own app.. I don't use it anymore because of this. Same can be said for my Hikvision cameras some work some don't and either I use full time record or don't use.
Be Safe.
55Trucker

Post by 55Trucker »

Is there a spec somewhere that I can look at to see how this all works, that is, notion detection and how a DVR and a camera communicate? At one level it seems like there should be no difference between how the DVR handles an analog camera vs an IP camera, as it's storing data for both on the same disk. If the DVR is looking at frames from the analog camera, why can't it do the same for the IP camera?

One thing I noticed about this DVR is, while the spec for it says it supports8 analog + 8 IP cameras, and there is no difference cited in how the channels are handled by the DVR, when I got the DVR I noticed that the channel list page says something like "AI functions are not supported on IP cameras". While I don't put motion detection in the category of AI, maybe Amcrest did, or maybe this is just a bug in the DVR firmware.

Does anyone from Amcrest engineering or support follow this forum?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So have to understand that a dvr or as in the case of my 7108-ai and your 5108-ai dvr/xvr they are built with a set CPU and Ram, by adding IP cameras it requires the system to work in a different format then it normally would as a dvr. So yes mine just like yours turns off AI ability built into the DVR if you want to use with IP cameras. So much so that it kicks ai out of system memory. Meaning if you setup a rule in ch1 then enabled an ip setup. Once you turn off ip and put back to dvr mode only all ivs rules you had are now gone and will have to setup again.
Anyway don't like to source outside forums but here is a link to another site from 2017 with dahua 5108 and user having same issue you are having

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-xvr ... ras.21967/
Be Safe.
55Trucker

Post by 55Trucker »

Thank you, that link was very helpful.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

55Trucker wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:50 am My question is, does this Amcrest DVR not support motion detection for IP cameras, or just not from non-Amcrest IP cameras? I triple checked the setting, motion detection is enabled on the DVR for every channel.
Been meaning to reply to this and kept forgetting...

The DVR should record motion from IP designated channels just like the analog channels, but it is probably looking for compatibility on the proprietary Amcrest TCP port assignment of 37777. Change it to port 8999 in the DVR network settings and see if that helps. 8999 is the ONVIF port typically used for dialogue between cameras and NVRs.

I had the same problem with my DV8M8 XVRs and the above fixed it.

Conversely, the same would also apply when using Amcrest IP cameras setup to be discovered on port 37777 if using them with another vendor's XVR which would likely be using TCP port 8999 for ONVIF communication.