Amcrest Doorbell

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest Doorbell

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly this is a Doorbell Camera I have not heard of 1 company making a POE Doorbell Camera.. Power for Camera is 16vac or 24vac because that is normally what a Doorbell in a Home is wired with so that is what they built the Camera around...
Be Safe.
Airey001

Post by Airey001 »

Actually several companies have video doorbells with POE. Look at the ring elite. Before i fot the AD110 i looked there are several with POE they are just price.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I am not saying that there will not be a day that one might make it.. I am just saying it is kind of a new thing for Amcrest at this time and I am sure trying to keep up with other tech might have a POE doorbell... Funny thing is there are so many homes already with Undersized wiring and issues with To small of Transformers and all kinds of things. People that have homes they don't want to make larger holes or more holes add different wiring...

It is easy to have a Stand a lone doorbell system that uses POE or even 5V Dc.. Press the button ring your phone... However want it on your Home Doorbell system there has to be other hardware that will make it so the 2 can work together... Then this poses an issue with More Cost... In the end it all comes down to these cameras being just like the rest..

I did see one that I thought strange lol.. Poe that says it is 2mp however looking over the data for the POE camera it says it only Encodes at 720p what a waste... 300 for a Camera doorbell that don't even give all it has...

I wonder how many people have Cat5e or Cat6 right now at the Doorbell location ready for POE doorbell?

If I was a Company and I was going to market a Product for something new in our line up... If I was tasked with finding out what percent of homes would be in the market for a POE Doorbell camera I am going to guess it might be 1% at the Max 10% and then out of that 10% lets say we have 4% buy that isn't a great sales pitch to go to the Building team.. But if we took the other 90% and only 10% bought a Normal doorbell that would go into wiring already in place... Then that leaves the whole idea.. OK so there are other compaines out there offing POE some I have never even heard of before.. Hype or Fact is the next factor..

For me Normal doorbell Camera is just fine and yes I have more then plenty POE ports open for use so it isn't because I don't have POE(+) power to give..

To be fair. I would think it could come with a Stand alone Camera with a Normal 5vdc power like the 841 use would be the next release... However I don't work for them I have no say in what they bring.. Just my thoughts of what I think would sale faster...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Don't get me Wrong I am all for the Idea of installing a POE Doorbell.. It would make Wifi Distance issue go away seeing it would be connected over Ethernet.. I wouldn't even mind seeing that type of a connection wouldn't even need to be POE but anyway to close the gap of Wifi.. There are some people out there that Think it is the Greatest thing Wifi, Even buying Battery wifi cameras yeah not me to be Honest I don't like Wifi camera and only use them for a short time to cover an area until I get cable pulled then use cable..
Be Safe.
rickfmn

Post by rickfmn »

New firmware available!! You can turn off the IR mode now. Yes finally no more cycling on/off of IR at night.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

hi @rickfmn and welcome to the forum.

outside temperature was been over 100 degrees farenheit (~38 celsius) last week and i have observed the doorbell struggled staying well connected with the wireless network. both live feed and regular recordings showed too many skipped frames. i then decided to re-purpose an old netgear ac1600 class router and loaded dd-wrt so it now serves as a wireless bridge between the doorbell and the main router. the result is outstanding now both live feed and regular recordings are no longer affected by hot weather. i've checked the nvr recordings and they're good.
Steve4505

Post by Steve4505 »

I just read through all the comments. A variety of useful information. Mine worked on the lower powered 24VAC (watts) transformer, but the mechanical doorbell would ring only occasionally. Had to upgrade to the 30VAC from HomeDepot (Lowes did not carry in stock), which seems to have fixed that issue.

I am using the Smart Home app and don't like it very much. Gave it a 2 star review. Mostly my gripe is about the app is login being stupid. It needs to remember passwords/thumb prints/facial and have a configured login so you are not taping several things just to view. Also as mentioned by many, no easy way to download/record/share. Folks comments about the lack of backwards compatibility though not applicable to me is something which could (should) deter sales, so I don't like that thought going forward in the future.

Oh and I do not like the mounting bracket. It comes with tiny screws which won't resist much force. Mounting bracket should accept standard screws like drywall screws, its a bit on the weak side as only a small tab is connected to the camera at the top too. The screw on the bottom and that attachment is reasonable, but the top is not.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello @Steve4505 Welcome to the Forum.. Sorry you don't find the Doorbell camera very good or stable in mounting.. While I do agree that it is kind of thin there should be no reason that much force should ever be used on them once mounted and working.. However this is the first doorbell by Amcrest and I am going to guess it is off the line of what was build-able in the price range they are set at.. I do remember that the first one on the market some years ago where built in like kind quality while they did bring out many other types since the first one wasn't all that everyone made them out to be... Once mounted I can tell you that I have in testing on my Dutch Lap Siding tested and the mount is solid.. I did however because of the siding I have go to the hardware store and buy longer screws the same size just longer to make sure that it was mounted into Solid backing because my Dutch Lap siding is kind of easy to remove things that are not secure to the backboard behind it... It isn't 100% installed as I want to build a Inset hole for a flush mount and at this time I can angle it down some because it is pointing up a little do to my siding type..
Be Safe.
ckronengold

Post by ckronengold »

My AD110 is not staying connected to my wifi. Its only about 15' away and has nearly direct line of sight. Hoping the firmware upgrade will help. Will investigate the transformer as a possibility, but my house is only 2 years old, so I'm hoping the transformer has enough power.

I'm trying to use the feed from the camera as a screensaver on my roku. I have no problem with my IP2M-841s, but am struggling the doorbell. I'm using IP Camera Viewer, but the fields don't seem very conducive for adding the RTSP stream address. Doesn't seem to be a way to change from http to rtsp, and the "stream URL" field data starts after the IP address.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to enter the RTSP info into this field form?

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

One of the biggest issues with Camera Doorbell issues is Power.. sadly even with a new house don't mean they used any more Transformer size that what was needed for your Chime.. Most are going to be 30VA or 10VA if they require that... Even with a new home if the Doorbell needs 30va unless the home owner did it or it was me They wouldn't elect to upsize because it most times is never needed... So looking at your Doorbell there should be a Sticker or it might be even Stamped in the plastic or metal the size of Volts shown as 16vac or 24vac and second and most important is VA and as I said before could be 10 or 30.. Now it is said by Amcrest a good transformer is 30va however that is I am guessing going to be on the idea that your doorbell is using 10va.. So if your doorbell is 30va I would say to be safe a good number would be 45va for your camera add on... Please note as I have said before in other threads.. If your doorbell can work on 16 and 24vac and your running 24vac at 30va that isn't going to be the same and infact is less power then a 16vac at 30va so in a 24vac unit that needs 30va I am going to guess you might night a 65va transformer.. For best results if it was a dual 16 or 24 vac doorbell I would personally like I did my system drop it to the 16vac and 45va for the output power... However I didn't have dual volt doorbell I just bought one that was 16vac able... I have a 100va transformer I just didn't want to have to keep using it when it belongs to my CCTV power supply PDU box...

About connecting it I am not going to say that it can't be done on your screensaver but just be it known that outside of the Smarthome app people have bricked the doorbell camera from other sources...
Be Safe.