Amcrest doorbell chime issue

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Mbur371189

Re: Amcrest doorbell chime issue

Post by Mbur371189 »

168 interesting I just went out to home depot and got a mechanical chime that works.

I tried the digital with both settings chime and mechanical. The issue was it would never ring and if the diode was in either way it with the video doorbell in line the chime wouldnt stop.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well these are good things to Note for others that want to buy the Doorbell.. Sadly it is hard to say how or why something works one way for one and not another.. I guess it could be that the diode used might be to small or not the right one..

Diode is a Black little round thing with a Silver stripe at one end. If the Diode failed into a Always open position it would in a since make the chime think the switch is being pressed. If you have a Multi Meter you can test your Diode by putting the Meter in diode Mode or BEEP mode for testing for Resistance testing... If you put the Black lead on the side that has the Stripe you will get a Reading This is the Cathode side. If you change the Leads so the red lead is on the Stripe side and black on the other there should be no reading at all. That is because it is only designed so power can flow one way it is like a one Way valve. However if it is bad as it can happen then it would show some value in both directions... It might be that the IN4001-IN4007 if that was what you used might have shorted closed like a FUSE in a since... For me maybe a IN5404 from the 5400 line of IN5401-IN5408 line, it is a 3amp 400v would have been more then enough maybe even to big but what I would have used... For the Door bells 5400line is what is needed. When I made my diagram I in Error put in the first Diode that came to mind not in what one should be used but in the idea of it being a Diode. Should have put in one of the IN5400 line in my drawing...
Be Safe.
kabon360

Post by kabon360 »

amcrest168 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm @Mbur371189 , i'm using an old maple chase chimex 08040 mechanical chime and it works great and reliable but one odd thing with this door chime is i have to link it as a digital chime for it to work as opposed to a mechanical chime. linking it to a mechanical chime didn't work but linking either as a 'digital chime' or as a 'no chime' works with the maple chase 08040 mechanical chime.
OMG Thank you! I was trying everything I could think of to get the inside chime going. Changing the chime setting from mechanical to digital worked for me as well. Heath Zenith model SL-2796 (on the confirmed working list per the Amcrest support site).
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Mbur371189 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm 168 interesting I just went out to home depot and got a mechanical chime that works.

I tried the digital with both settings chime and mechanical. The issue was it would never ring and if the diode was in either way it with the video doorbell in line the chime wouldnt stop.
I tried installing the video doorbell with the exact same issue. I have the Hampton Bay HB-7612-02 (1001 407 776) which is on the Compatible List (https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ell-AD110-). The chime would constantly go off on it's own. I tried it with and without the diode. (Is the diode required?)

Upon initial installation (without the diode,) almost everything appeared to be okay. The video doorbell booted up, went through the setup process and everything was working, except the chime did nothing when I pushed the button. After about 10 minutes, the chime started going off constantly and I lost connection to the video doorbell. I shut the power off, turned it back on and the same thing, chime constantly going off, and while the light was on on the video doorbell, I could not connect to it, reset it or anything.

I then decided to take the chime out of the circuit and wire the video doorbell directly to the transformer (16v-30vA) and the video doorbell works perfectly.

Could it be an issue with the Chime Box or is this chime not really compatible even though Amcrest says it is? I called their tech support and a technician is supposed to call me back tomorrow.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the forum
i would try it as no chim in setup or mechanical see if that works
Be Safe.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

hi @KarlHungus53 and welcome to the forum. it's my understanding a diode is not needed with the ad110 but the included chime kit must be wired to your doorbell chime.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:37 pm Welcome to the forum
i would try it as no chim in setup or mechanical see if that works
I can't even connect to the video doorbell if it is connected with the chime in the circuit. It lights up, but doesn't seem to finish booting. The light will quickly turn off then back on about every minute and continues doing that, all the while the door chime is constantly chiming. The Chime Kit is installed and the connections are good. Can the Chime Kit possibly be bad?

amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

@KarlHungus53, have you perform a reset on your hampton chime? to reset, hold the sync/reset button down for 10 seconds... the unit will beep to confirm recognition of a reset.
Carini33

Post by Carini33 »

@KarlHungus53 Did you get anywhere? I have the exact same doorbell as in your picture, and nothing, everything seems dead. My Ring Pro was working fine...
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@Carini33 Hello and Welcome to the forum

So i am going to guess this might be an issue where the Doorbell might need to be Reset... The Top button on the doorbell is a Reset button and the one under is to change tones I believe if so I would if you believe that the system is connected right try resetting the doorbell it might have been that it programmed it self for use with your Ring Pro and what ever power that might leak past the Amcrest Camera might be enough to trigger the doorbell...

Sadly it is hard to Judge why something might work for another setup and not the current one... IT could be a lot of factors that are unseen...

When you remove the system wires from the doorbell test 2 things if there is Power over the lines without pressing the button if there is it might be that when you made the connections there is one shorted....

Also there is a Waga Connector in the Camera and while to some people it might look like an area to put 2 different wires it s only for 1 pair of wires.... This was an issue with one of my Friends that had his system going off the whole time and wouldn't work on the camera when I get there i found he had used that connector to use connect the hot and common wires and in a since just made it as if the bell button is being pushed all the time... Without people knowing what that one connector was for it was kind of sad to see only 1 without idea of what it is for people that don't use them all the time...

Anyway... Another issue could be Underpower PSU... also another issue could be under sized wires to the camera.. While you had a Camera doorbell already it is hard to know what the Min Specs are for each system... In most cases I find the Wiring to the Switches are under sized and will be a problem for some people that want to install these cameras... 24 or 22awg wire isn't going to cut it any much of any length of wire from a power supply... For a Normal button for a door bell it don't matter much because the only time there is power going over the wires is when someone pushed the doorbell button the second it was let go no more flow... With a Camera there that needs 1.4 to 2amps of power the wire size needs to be of right size or there will be issues

Again hard to say I can't see nor touch what is there I can only give what I know and or some ideas of what it could be to help eliminate different things...

Also as I am typing this I am thinking there might be something in wiring where the system that is under powered might cause the trigger over time so it wouldn't make the chime go off all of the time but a few times in a moment if you will... Say the Camera is trying to power up and then fails to get enough power it might as a way to discharge the caps that are in the camera make a contact to help drain this as it tries to cycle again to power the camera but again fails and maybe as a way to not keep so much power in the camera CAP it pulses to help discharge them and this would cause a Power to the doorbell to make it ring... However if itis always going off and the system has been reset at the doorbell and the thing still just keeps going off that makes me think there is a short like the Waga connector being used wrong...
Be Safe.