AD410 transformer upgrade

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
TahoeDan

AD410 transformer upgrade

Post by TahoeDan »

Hi,

I want to confirm that the 16V 30VA transformer such as https://www.amazon.com/Doorbell-Transfo ... rch&sr=8-2 is what i need.

Right now i have and old Emerson Rittenhouse model 202 doorbell with a Nu-Tone 515-N 5VA 10V transformer

thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD410 transformer upgrade

Post by Revo2Maxx »

16vac and 30va is good however you will also need new doorbell chime. Or a relay with all your current setup and 16vac 30va tranformer
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
TahoeDan

Post by TahoeDan »

If i get a new chime that says "Use with a 16-volt/10 VA or 16-volt/15 VA transformer" will i be ok with the 16V 30VA transformer since the AD410 will be taking some load ?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes a Doorbell that says it needs XYZ that is what it needs for it to work.

So meaning if you were to buy a system that said it needed a 16vac 15va and yet you bought a 10va transformer (Talking not along with the Camera) I mean just as a Normal setup. It might work however because it was a 10va and not 15va then the transformer might have over heating issues and or cause the system not to do full sounds if muli tone because of the lack of current. Maybe if Ding Dong was only 2 sounds it might not do full pull and so the sounds could be little softer then normal with the right 15va.. Worse yet it wasn't enough current to even pull the plunger at all..

However with a 16vac 30va that will ensure that the doorbell works with the current it needs and still have enough to keep the camera happy. The AD410 has a Mini Super Cap that will store voltage for a short time after the button has been pushed. If someone happens to push it say 2 times in a row with your settings for a Doorbell Chime to 7 to 10 seconds once the power returns to the camera there will be a short high current moment that it will need to charge that Cap again at the same time there is no current going though the doorbell chime so no worry about over current damage..

However with all that said, If there was a system out there and I doubt there is, But if the system says words like don't use any transformer (Power Supply) more then current rate printed may want to stay clear of that chime.. Normally these Transformer power supplies can have over Current under voltage issues anyway and something that would post about having only 15va supply is going to be suspect in my eyes.

So a 15va on a 16vac Transformer is just under 1amp of current that it will provide. However in a moment of transformer fail that same 16vac transformer if it was to go crazy low lets say 1.6vac that would translate to almost 10amps of current

So there is no issue using a Transformer of higher VA rating then what it is asking for to power just the doorbell and in truth would be better because it would be less likely to be pulled down into a under voltage over current melt down.. Meaning 16vac 30, 35, 40 VA all would be fine.
Be Safe
TahoeDan

Post by TahoeDan »

Hi,

I installed the new transformer and chime. Camera seems to be working fine Chime works too.

However; when i push the butrton the chime chimes, but when i push it again it does not. Is this normal for it to have to recharge ? or should i be using an even larger transformer than the 16V 30VA one i installed ?

thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

What type of Doorbell did you set it up as? Digital or Mech?

It might be there was a Delay caused by Program in camera. It has been a little while since I played with mine. Did it ever Ring the chime again?

I removed my Chime form my 410 because it drives my pups up the wall when someone pushes it lol. They will bark for an hour after the fact. So I took it offline and only use the doorbell camera to ring my phone.

In theory when the doorbell button is pressed it should ring your Chime for a set time, Then camera resets the Relay in it back to taking power. I have not done testing for a while but it used to be that I could once the tones were done I could press the button again for another round of tones. Mine was set for longest time on Digital chime. Did this to see how many presses before camera would go offline from not being able to charge back up.

It might be that there was some known issues after my testing that led Amcrest to program in a Button Press delay timer?

You are using the Amcrest Chime Kit? If your not it might be that the camera is dead. If the camera goes offline from normal 16vac setup, testing with a 5vdc Micro USB with a good power source will find out if that is the case because they are on different power circuits.
Be Safe
TahoeDan

Post by TahoeDan »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:20 am What type of Doorbell did you set it up as? Digital or Mech?
I am using this chime https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BW9TX6?ps ... ct_details

and this transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKQ4GC3?ps ... ct_details

And yes i am using the Amcrest chime kit
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry don't mean to ask dumb questions but I don't know so I have to ask..

When you setup your doorbell you choose the normal Mech doorbell? That should have a 3 second delay after the 3 seconds in theory when you press the doorbell button again it should ring a second time.. I will have to go change my setup for testing. However that was how it was last time I tested out multi button presses. Again there has been some updates and Amcrest might have made some changes that I didn't know about in the app because I no longer have connected to Chime.
Be Safe
djxpress

Post by djxpress »

TahoeDan wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:55 am
Revo2Maxx wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:20 am What type of Doorbell did you set it up as? Digital or Mech?
I am using this chime https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BW9TX6?ps ... ct_details

and this transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKQ4GC3?ps ... ct_details

And yes i am using the Amcrest chime kit
How are you using that transformer with that chime? The transformer is a 30VA and the chime says to use a 10VA
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Va is current not voltage.

16vac is 16 volts AC
30VA is Volt Amps in watts.

The transformer works on scale of use. The Chime needs 10va and that leaves 20va to be used by the amcrest camera and be lost in Voltage drop
Be Safe