AD110 hotspot broadcasts wrong SSID

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
sdmark

AD110 hotspot broadcasts wrong SSID

Post by sdmark »

Hi,

Setting up an AD110 for the first time. Amcrest Smart Home App installed on Android. Actually this is my second AD110; the first one wouldn't talk to me, but then the second one wouldn't either. A more powerful doorbell transformer has fixed that.

After a factory reset, I push the button briefly and hear “Wi-Fi hotspot enabled.” The Wi-Fi network shows up on my phone as “Amcrest DB- Z05EF0C9xxxxx”, so that is the SSID that the camera is broadcasting. But the app fails to connect, telling me that it is looking for "ASH-Z05EF0C9xxxxx". Um, no wonder it won't connect, the SSID being broadcast doesn't match the SSID it's looking for.

I have access to the camera from a laptop and I have an API Guide. I thought I might be able to change the "Amcrest DB" prefix to "ASH", but when I try to check the WLAN configuration with this command:

http://192.168.3.10/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=WLan

it prompts for a user/password. When I give it the default admin/admin, it says, "Error. Invalid Authority!"

Am I missing something? What's the secret to configuring the cam when it has a different SSID from what the app is expecting?

Thanks for any tips,

Mark
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD110 hotspot broadcasts wrong SSID

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about the issue. This is going to be a long Weekend. Strange that it won't connect normally you can force connect to the SSID if it won't come up on it's own.

Ash-xxxxxxx is some other smart home device and even the AD410 is an ash hotspot address. The normal AD110 was a DB. My guess is there is an issue with the new Smart Home app that was released not long ago as there wasn't this issue before..

So I am not sure that you will get it to work without connection to the Smart Home app first. That is the one thing that has been posted from the start. Setting up the Camera on Smart home app is a must.

I didn't say this but maybe try your CGI with admin and no password. Still might not work however when you are connecting to the Hotspot the next part is to setup a password in the app. So maybe admin and no password might work

I guess I could Reset one of my AD110 and see if I can setup

However that isn't a good testing as I just looked at the app version I am using and that is 3.11.2 what version of the app do you have? I looked on the store and it is asking to be updated (not going to update) at this time don't want to lock out any of my devices for weekend, a Ad110 is one thing but have to many devices if the new app has issues.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

However I then just got to thinking? How can it have a IP address if you have not setup the Cameras Wifi password in the app? Wifi wouldn't hand out a IP address without access to the Routers table?

Then through the cameras hotspot don't think that would work either. Setting up this camera seems like it is going to have to wait until amcrest returns Monday and they are able to make an Update to the app for release again. Not sure how long it will take them. Personally I would send in a Ticket using the support pages for Smarthome devices you will want to make this complete or might not get answered.

https://amcrest.com/smarthomesupport
Be Safe
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

The latest SmartHome Android app update has multiple serious flaws. (I don't know about the iOS version). Just from the comments on Google Play/SmartHome, it's very clear that Amcrest messed it up big time. The OP incorrect SSID issue was reported here in this Google Play comment: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eopqeTjEOw

Read the next few pages of comments to see what else is being reported. Ugh, it's bad.

I would suggest uninstalling the app and reverting to the previous version. This link was provided to me directly by Amcrest Support which I will repost here (as I did a few weeks ago when the app was missing)...
Thank you for reaching out to Amcrest Support. We are currently aware of an issue with the Amcrest Smart Home app affecting Android users in the Google Play store. Google wanted to change some verbiage to make certain permissions more clear to the user before approving it We anticipate to have the issue resolved shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime you may use the current APK file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-OCJW0 ... sp=sharing
sdmark

Post by sdmark »

Thanks for your replies. For some reason, I'm not getting forum notifications in spite of subscribing to the topic.

@Revo2Maxx, to answer a couple questions, I'm using SmartHome 3.12.0. A hotspot is kind of like a router in that it has an IP address and hands out IP addresses to other devices. That's how the app is _supposed_ to connect to the camera the first time, and that's how I can connect to the camera from my laptop. Unfortunately "admin" with no password doesn't work. I did contact Amcrest Support on Tuesday 2/22. Finally heard back on Thursday 2/24, telling me to reset the camera. I had done that already, did it again, and replied within an hour. Three days since then and no response.

@GaryOkie, thanks for pointing out the Google Play review with the same issue. So it's not just me. I also appreciate your sharing the APK. I have to wonder, though, if it's time to cut and run: new software that doesn't work with new hardware (no testing?), support takes two days to respond, a fix may require side-loading apps... Doesn't exactly imbue confidence in the vendor.

I wanted an ONVIF doorbell camera for integration with Synology Surveillance Station. I first tried a Foscam DBW5 but it won't do 2-way audio with Synology and it seemed to go to sleep unexpectedly. Oh and their website was down last weekend--another confidence-killer. I'd had decent experience with a standard POE camera from Amcrest, so I expected the doorbell camera would just work. I was planning on replacing other cameras with Amcrest. Now I wonder where to turn for decent home/prosumer cameras.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Today there was a New Release of the Smart Home app put on the Google play 3.12.1 I did DL and reset one of my AD110 and it did work as expected... Thanks to the R&D and SH Software staff for getting the fix to this issue out fast...
Be Safe
andersonas25

Post by andersonas25 »

Ran into this with the latest Android app release (3.12.2) while adding a second AD110. If I scanned the code on the front of the camera it would expect an ASH-xxx SSID but it was actually a AD-XXX SSID. But if I manually entered the serial number it expected a AD-XXX SSID.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

that is interesting. Just looked at 3 AD110 the first AD110 that I looked at started with DB-Z05A7 others also started with DB, my AD410 starts with ASH-Z175

Yours starting with that might be a newer GEN as from what I remember since they were released in 2019 was they were DB- and for a time the wrong Hotspot was coming out from the app I guess caused by the release of the AD410..

Glad you were able to get things worked out and get it added. All my Ad110 are First Gen as I don't need anymore doorbells..
Be Safe
taylorleebiz

Post by taylorleebiz »

andersonas25 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:49 pm Ran into this with the latest Android app release (3.12.2) while adding a second AD110. If I scanned the code on the front of the camera it would expect an ASH-xxx SSID but it was actually a AD-XXX SSID. But if I manually entered the serial number it expected a AD-XXX SSID.
Thank you for this tip! The scanned serial resulted in bad ssid. The typed in serial number resulted in the correct ssid.