A warning about dimensions given in camera data sheets/manuals

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
plusfour

A warning about dimensions given in camera data sheets/manuals

Post by plusfour »

I've been looking at upgrading pre-AI dome cameras, which are giving me way too many false triggers, to AI turret cameras, and wanted to check what size mount the AI's would need. This should in theory be easy, except that every single piece of documentation for both the old and new cameras contradicts itself. No two figures are the same:

IP4M-1056E Technical Spec: 122mm
IP4M-1056E User Manual: 110mm

IP8M-2879E Techincal Spec: 135mm
IP8M-2879E User Manual: 122mm

IP8M-2699E Technical Spec: 122mm
IP8M-2699E User Manual: No dimensions given

As far as I can tell, from measuring the existing cameras and looking up non-Amcrest sources for the AI ones, they're all 122mm so will work with the existing junction boxes. The weird thing is that sometimes the technical spec is wrong and sometimes the user manual is wrong, there's no consistency.

Anyway, just wanted to warn people that if you're getting junction boxes or other mounting hardware for a camera, either check data from multiple sources to make sure it's not wrong or wait until you've got the camera and measure the actual dimensions to see which hardware you'll need to go with it.
plusfour

Re: A warning about dimensions given in camera data sheets/manuals

Post by plusfour »

In terms of fitting existing junction boxes it's actually worse than that, the information from Amcrest for those two cameras is completely wrong. The web page for the AMCPFB203W, https://amcrest.com/amcrest-wall-mount- ... b203w.html says:
"Compatible with: [...] IP8M-VT2879EW-AI"
and the one for the IP8M-T2669EW-AI, https://amcrest.com/4k-poe-camera-turre ... ew-ai.html says:
"Compatible with the following Amcrest Junction Boxes: AMCPFB203W, [...]"
Neither of these is correct, here's the tech drawing for the AMCPFB203W:
mount.png
mount.png (104.31 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
And here's the bases of the 2879 (right) and 2669 (left). The 2879 is the wrong size for the junction box and the 2669 has four screws in a square arrangement, not three screws in a triangle:
amcrest_cams.jpg
amcrest_cams.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

Finally sorted out how to mount these, since Amcrest don't have any junction box that fits the IP8M-2879E I used a standard 122mm one and cut a silicone gasket to take it out to the 135mm size required by the camera:
gasket.jpg
gasket.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry to hear about the issue with your back box. I personally don't use Dahua or Amcrest boxes. I buy ones that are made for Hikvision and if I don't get the holes I want because normally the Dahua cameras or Amcrest cameras that I buy don't fit. However the boxes I own are big enough for all my Dahua cameras I just drill the right size for my cameras needs. In the event that the box will be in direct weather contact like on the side of a structure I not only use the gaskets it comes with but I also plug the screw holes with caulking. However most times the boxes are just to make sure I have enough space for all the wiring that is connected to my camera or all the wiring that is going to be needed for that area. Plus they have a Gasket and a bushing and I have never had water issues on any of my camera installs.

However maybe looking over the Dahua boxes at this address https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ ... xes?page=1

there are other things in that page that can lead you to even more install hardware for Amcrest and Dahua cameras.

Also here is where I buy my Hikvision Back boxes. They also carry Dahua, Lorex, Samsung and many others. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products ... k-box&db=1
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

I'd had a look at both the Dahua range and a bunch of universal mount boxes on Amazon and none of them fit this weirdo form factor, the closest I could find was a Lorex that looked promising but still wouldn't fit once I downloaded the PDFs to verify the layout.

I need them for the same reason, to provide a space to coil up the cables and stow the connectors. This particular one is up under a soffit so the main concern is insects getting in, when I took down its predecessor I found a small (abandoned) wasp nest inside that I'd never been aware of.