"Other" email server test fails

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
exFos

"Other" email server test fails

Post by exFos »

I have a IP4M-1051B and I recently bought a IP4M-1041B.

In the 1051 I have the SMTP setup to use my own email server and the "Email Test" button works fine and I get a green "Email Test Succeeded" message.

However, when I type the exact same email server settings into the 1041, the "Test" button reports a red "X Fail".

One thing I did notice is that on the 1051 the password field displays 8 dots for the password, which is correct because my password is 8 characters. And if I click the "refresh" button (next to the Save button) in the 1051, the 8 dots still appear.

But if I enter the 8 character password in the 1041, then click "Save", then "refresh" the number of password dots reduces to just 6 dots - which normally would suggests the firmware is not storing the password correctly (cutting off two digits) and that could be why its failing, but no matter if I type in a 4-character password or ten, it will still show only 6 dots after clicking refresh.

So, whats the best way to report this bug to Amcrest?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: "Other" email server test fails

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So that is an interesting issue. I would double check the Info for the 1041 in the manual or maybe on the Web even. See there is some special char that will be rejected if your password has one of them. How can you fix it. Well one way and the way they would tell you to fix it is Change your Password, The way I say to fix it is use the Amcrest View Pro app, You can while looking at the device there is a device edit button on the top row mainly used for motion however if you scroll down to the bottom of that area there will be a Email area. In there you can input the email and save at the top right and once that is done it should work. I can't say that is 100% for all devices however I know that I have a couple of Recorders that I can't use my Password because of a special Char I use. However I was able to fix it that way. The issue is the WebUI and for me the Recorders GUI won't let the Char get past so the email fails because the password isn't complete..
Screenshot_20220624-235559_Amcrest View Pro.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-235559_Amcrest View Pro.jpg (290.3 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
exFos

Post by exFos »

My password is just numbers and letters, but I did try your suggestion of using the pro app (android) just in case it was able to get the email test to work, but sadly is didn't.

But I did find a bug with the app - it won't allow you to specify a custom port number for auth type of "None", whereas the webui does allow you to (and I actually do need to use a custom port number for my smtp server).

So, how should I report this bug because if they can't fix in within a week or two, then the camera is going back to amazon, which would be a shame because otherwise the camera is pretty good, but not having working email alerts is a deal breaker.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Go to the top of this page click submit ticket
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ca ... 0002371831

However that is the support area for the 1041 maybe there is a work around in there. If not that is the page you will want to at the top click submit ticket. Just note that there is no one to respond until Monday yet could be later if there is a lot of Ticket Request to respond to.
Be Safe
exFos

Post by exFos »

Thank you!
exFos

Post by exFos »

I found out what the problem was...

You need to type in the actual IP address of the "other" SMTP email server - it won't resolve hostnames like "mail.myserver.com".
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

My personal server is smtp.myserver.us and it works just fine. You might want to check your Server for a Good MX record and that your DNS server is setup to reflect your mail server with the following things

A record
MX record
PTR record is a reverse look up to map your IP to the name and some servers won't trust mail from own network.
SPF record or older Caller-ID Record

Sometimes your mail server won't accept mail for your own network without all the records entered in your DNS server
Be Safe
exFos

Post by exFos »

My email server is located remotely at godaddy.

This is a strange issue because all of my foscams and the amcrest 1051 accept "mail.mysever.com", but this 1041 doesn't.

Well, at least I got it working and it is much better then my foscam's (with their webui/plugin mess), so looks like I am not an amcrest customer :)
exFos

Post by exFos »

"I am NOW an amcrest customer" :)