Your Amcrest IP Camera is only as Secure as your Recorder

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Your Amcrest IP Camera is only as Secure as your Recorder

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hey security enthusiasts! Just a friendly reminder that when it comes to securing your surveillance setup, it's not just about having top-notch Amcrest Cameras. Your system's security is only as strong as its weakest link. Make sure to fortify not only your cameras but also the Recorders they connect to. Let's discuss best practices and share insights on achieving a robust and comprehensive security setup!
#SecurityTalk
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Your Amcrest IP Camera is only as Secure as your Recorder

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So people I wanted to point out some testing I have been doing with my own recorders. Please note that I don't have a normal network with a common router or common type hub or switch. I use Business class devices and I have taken steps to secure my devices if someone happen to Crack my DVRs password. To be honest it is an easy password because I am doing this for research lol.. So I am clear, I am using a Password that I don't use, I have 2 Ip cameras with passwords I don't use and I have an Analog camera connected because I am testing some things within my DVR.. The Camera is an Amcrest 5mp color at night that is working in TVI mode at 4mp.. My network setup is on a VLAN that has only the 2 ip cameras and DVR. To log into the DVRs WebUI I use my computer that has access to this VLAN when I make said connection. This is in case someone was able to Crack my Password I don't have to worry about them gaining access to my other hardware on my network.. This is a Hikvsion OEM DVR, using Dahua 4mp AI camera and a Hikvision OEM AI 4mp PTZ camera. This PTZ will also help notify me if someone was able to make access because I have that camera connected with BNC analog going to my Amcrest AI DVR to monitor if there is any movement of the cameras normal position. That channel is setup to tour if there is active movements. My device comes up as a Hikvision Ip Camera to the Crawlers that people use to search. My system does have an update that isn't part of the devices that are easy to gain access too. RTSP for this device is a joke. While I do have the port open it is required to log into it and even if they were to get access with the right combo user and password the RTSP has an encrypted view so maybe there is a URL that can be used with the Key I don't know it so the normal RTSP URL only displays noise on my Audio enabled channel and video noise on the ones without audio. So they get nothing.. The reason for this post is to let others know that if you put your recorder on the Internet by Port Forwarding or using UPnP *Some might not even know they enabled UPnP* and are exposed by accident. This person has been trying since 5mp my time today..
Screenshot (1627).png
Screenshot (1627).png (70 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Be Safe.