Wireless Camera with Antennas?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
wekebu

Wireless Camera with Antennas?

Postby wekebu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am

I'm considering purchasing a wifi camera, but most of them show photos without external antennas. Am I to assume the antennas are now internal? I haven't had good luck with routers with internal antennas and have gone back to ones with external. I'm assuming the same for ip cameras. Experiences?

t84a

Re: Wireless Camera with Antennas?

Postby t84a » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:25 am

The range is decent. If you're planning to go any measurable distance and/or through a bunch of walls, you may have an issue. I have multiple access points in the locations I have cameras so I haven't had too many issues.

Jdepp

Postby Jdepp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm

I have purchased 4 of the 1080 wireless cams and can tell you the wireless performance is horrible with the Amcrest; I have had to shelve 2 of mine and go back to using foscams. It would be nice if there was a way to attach an external camera.

DeltaPro

Postby DeltaPro » Sat May 06, 2017 12:48 am

My experience with a install I just finished. Had two existing wireless foscam 720p cameras running on wireless network working fine. Added 2 amcrest 1080 wireless cameras to network and all was working fine, so we thought. 1 hour later and major major network lag. For about a week pulling my hair out thinking how can the foscam be working slowly but working and barely amcrest cameras reachable. Reboot modem and router and all working again. So after alot of trouble shooting and discovering this network I'm playing on has a ton of nat, port and firewall issues. Frankly foscam cameras were really not bugged by all this. But amcrest cameras hated the conflicts. Once all conflicts were dealt, now all cameras are operating flawlessly. Sending motion emails. Viewing remote stream, local stream. It all just works. Bottom line is this. Before slamming these Amcrest cameras you better check your network because Amcrest cameras will let you know. If your going through walls or obstickles and wifi signal weak. Add a netgear range extender to help with signal strength in hard to reach places. We had to add one wifi extender and we are inside a huge building with 3 steel and concrete walls but we managed to get a great signal with a little help with 1,range extender. Fyi. Amcrest by far out performed the foscam cameras. And we heard foscam was being bought out or merged with foscam and was one of reasons we switched to amcrest. Will agree firmware updates and setup a little buggy and tricky sometimes but with way more features then previous foscam, we can put up with it.

Return to “General Security Chat”