Why is the web interface crippled?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
david42

Why is the web interface crippled?

Post by david42 »

1. How did Amcrest manage to create a web interface that only works in Windows, and only for Firefox or IE? Doesn't work for any web browser on Linux and doesn't work with Chrome at all.

2. I can understand not supporting the "Smart camera" (which doesn't work on Windows by the way) on Linux, but the DVR is running Linux, so how hard would it have been to make that available?

3. Anyone know how to get a brand-new 960 system to playback? The cameras are set for continuous and the drive light on the DVR is flashing, but all I see for playback is four black boxes. The system is useless if I can't review, download, save videos of intrusions.

4. Are there any real manuals? The only link I've been handed is just a very simple, one-line explanations of the menus. Nothing, for example, about how the Mask function works or how to set it up. There are no Help files.

5. If my wife's car gets broken into again and I can't give the police videos of the perp, will Amcrest pay for the damages?
bennor

Re: Why is the web interface crippled?

Post by bennor »

The reason it doesn't work on Chrome is apparently because Chrome dropped Java support recently. Google's decision with Chrome has caused problems with various folks who previously relied on Java plugins or Java support for their products. If using a Macintosh there is some discussion at the following link with a potential Safari fix: macintosh-browser-support-t82.html

Using either the web interface on a supported web browser or through the DVR interface (on a monitor/TV) one can generally "playback" recorded content and download that content to their PC, or playback recorded content with the use of the Amcrest mobile apps, to their mobile devices. On the 720p HDCVI DRV user interface, the 960H DVR user interface may be different, one selects "Playback" from the menu interface then selects a day, then clicks on a time in the bar at the bottom (if there is recorded content - represented by a green line) and the recorded content will begin playing. For live streaming in the web interface one selects, again on the 720p system the 960H system may be different, the camera from the left side of the live interface and also selects the main/sub channel if available and the live content displays in one of the split window panes.

See Amcrest's support site: https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us or the product page on the main Amcrest website for user manuals and downloads. There is usually a box on the lower left side of the product page on Amcrest's main site with links to that product's software and documentation.

As to your last question about Amcrest paying for damages. I assume your expressing your frustration and are joking. If your serious, what damages would you expect Amcrest or any other security/surveillance vendor to pay when someone decides to rob your home or steal your car? Don't recall Amcrest make any guarantees you won't be robbed when using their products. <shrugs>