What tablet to buy for monitoring my system

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
MexiJeeper

What tablet to buy for monitoring my system

Post by MexiJeeper »

Hi All,

Let me start out by saying that I am a newborn in the world of CCTV. My property was recently broken into and I am now on high alert. This is the system I am considering purchasing:

http://amcrest.com/amcrest-amdv960h16-8 ... meras.html

I have read all the install manuals and everything seems to be straight forward.

I live in Mexico. I leave my property in the hands of a live in house sitter for 5 months between June and November while I vacation in cooler weather 600 miles away. It was a week ago the break in occurred in my absence of course.

I am aware of the ability to monitor my system remotely by laptop. What I'm not sure about is whether I will be able to do so. The internet service I get in the house I rent while on vacation is wireless dial up. Ridiculous huh? It is extremely slow. It works well for email but that's about it. When downloading a .JPG photo for example the picture loads slowly line by line. So for this part of my diatribe do you folks believe that I can monitor my system with this type of internet service? I am doubtful.

Assuming that dial up won't work let me get to the meat of my query. When I moved to Mexico from California some 14 years ago I swore off my past corporate life along with all it's trappings. As such I do not own a cell phone. My wife has a $20.00 disposable cell that we use mostly for any emergency we might have while traveling. I have never used that phone. Heck I don't even know the number. So here's the deal. I need suggestions from you tech savvy people as to what tablet with phone capability to buy with the sole purpose of monitoring my Amcrest system. I don't know much about locked, unlocked, bricked, unbricked smart or not so smart but the tablet must be able to work in Mexico. I'm thinking 7" to 8" tablet because my eyes aren't what they used to be. There are no cellphone billed accounts per say in Mexico. Whenever one runs out of minutes you just go to the corner store and purchase a new SIM card in the $ amount you want. Budget for a tablet is around $150.00. No need for bells and whistles I'll most likely never use.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Zach

Re: What tablet to buy for monitoring my system

Post by Zach »

Hello,

Unfortunately with dial up I doubt if there is going to be any way to access the system remotely. It might be possible to have it upload a photo at a certain interval to an FTP server. There is no way you would get a live stream. I will check into the FTP option for this model and get back to you.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

MexiJeeper

Post by MexiJeeper »

Thanks Zach. With dial up all I would need is a snapshot sent when movement is detected. If I want to stream I'll drive into town and connect to a public hotspot to view on my phone. For that purpose I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXR59J8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Zach

Post by Zach »

I want to make sure I get this correct. The location your DVR is at only has dial up? or the location where you are trying to remotely view it from only has dial up?

We're working on a Knowledge Base document do describe exactly how to setup motion detection and sending snapshots. We should have it up by the end of the week.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

MexiJeeper

Post by MexiJeeper »

No Zach the DVR location has ADSL. I vacation 600 miles away and the internet service there is dial up. If I want to connect to hi speed WiFi I have to drive 10 miles into town. It is from the rental that I want to monitor any entry events.

Were you able to find a 16 ch camera power supply for me?