What are some good storage options for footage?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
mclld

What are some good storage options for footage?

Post by mclld »

I was thinking about buy some kind of nas but was wondering if that is the best option for the money
Roy

Re: What are some good storage options for footage?

Post by Roy »

I use a WD Mycloud. It works well for some of us. If you record your footage on a NAS, viewing the recordings through the timeline will not work. You won't be able to use Amcrest apps to view any of your files. I view through using windows.
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

Why use a NAS for this? Why not a regular Hard Drive?
Are you trying to retain weeks/months of footage?
I use a 4TB internal Hard Drive. It allows me to record 8 cameras at HD quality for some and Ultra HD for other cameras. It records 24x7. It takes 2 weeks for the footage to rollover.

If you only record on motion, like many do, the rollover will be even longer.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Why use a NAS for this? - Because they are designed specifically for network storage i.e. availability 24/7. Not everyone leaves their computer switched on all the time.

Why not a regular Hard Drive? - Because the drives used in an NAS are better spec. also my NAS is set up as a RAID 1 array i.e. 2 hard drives mirrored so if a drive fails I still have 100% of my data intact.

In the end it comes down to what you can afford I suppose balanced against how important your data is to you.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

longedge, got it.